Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-11-2003, 02:48 PM   #1
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Letter

the reason to my dislike is that its possible that it will ruin my high school education. weve had one minor exam on it, and i graded an i-(which is improbatur-, which is latin for failed). this sucks...

note that this isnt anything personal towards you swedes here at ironworks.

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Old 09-11-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

How come that you have failed? Didn`t you study enough or you weren`t able to concentrate?
Old 09-11-2003, 03:06 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Xen is right, languages aren't all that hard to learn at least in the basic sense. I only ever fail a foreign language test when I slept through the class. (actually that would make it never) But I never DID do the classwork so I failed once or twice despite my tests. If I decided I hated the Spanish language just because I failed a few tests I'd be done for. I mean I live in Florida, I've got to know at least a little spanish. Too many of the Spanish folks don't want to bother speaking English to those of us who were born and raised here.

P.S. I'm not saying the Spanish population of the US should convert to English speakers, but at least learn and use enough to make the common store salespersons job a little easier.

P.P.S. Isn't the swiss language Nordic? Not Swedish? I could be wrong.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 09-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #4
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
The official language of Sweden is Swedish. The official languages of Switzerland are German, Italian, French and Romansch. I hope this is what you wanted to know... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

P.S.: To Raistlin - Don't give up.

[ 09-11-2003, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Spelca ]
Old 09-11-2003, 03:25 PM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

Quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:

Ahh...*Immediatly lowers his sword and calls back his troops of viking berserkers and ABBA wannabes.*

Is Swedish your first language or are you just interrested in it? Or perhaps you just had to study something and all the other courses were full?
Old 09-11-2003, 03:26 PM   #6
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
The official language of Sweden is Swedish. The official languages of Switzerland are German, Italian, French and Romansch. I hope this is what you wanted to know... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

P.S.: To Raistlin - Don't give up.
[/QUOTE]i cant really give up, cause if i give up, all my future plans would be ruined. the thing that probably makes it so hard for me is that ive never really had to "learn" the english grammar, since ive lived in the States for six years. it comes naturally. that results in me having to learn the whole swedish grammar from point zero(which resembles the english grammar somewhat). its gonna be the longest 3 years of my life, i recon...*sigh*

Old 09-11-2003, 03:30 PM   #7
Raistlin Majere
Ra

Quote:
Originally posted by Stratos:
quote:
Originally posted by Raistlin Majere:

Ahh...*Immediatly lowers his sword and calls back his troops of viking berserkers and ABBA wannabes.*

Is Swedish your first language or are you just interrested in it? Or perhaps you just had to study something and all the other courses were full?
[/QUOTE]nope, its not. and nope, im not too terribly interrested in it. here in finland its something like the secondary language(kind of like spanish is in some parts of the States), so it has to be tought in school. i believe this has something to do with the fact that finland used to be a part of Sweden...

Old 09-11-2003, 03:51 PM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I think a lot of people who hate languages at skool just have a crap teacher. I mean 2 years ago i loved German. I was doing really well gettin 1+s all the time and then i got a new teacher as the old one left. She was still pretty good but not as good as the other one. But then i got yet another one who i really hate and now i totally ate German and i dont think im as good at it nemore because half the time i dont listen and it is so boring.

so maybe uv just have a crap teacher.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:58 PM   #9
Stratos
Vampire

Is learning Swedish still mandatory in Finland? I didn't know that.

Look on the bright side, if you know Swedish you almost get Danish and Norwegian for free and you have an easier time learning German.
Old 09-11-2003, 03:58 PM   #10
Raistlin Majere
Ra

youve got a good point ross, but ive really got it vice versa. the teacher i had in middle school wastn nearly strict enough, thus my swedish suffered. i left middle school with an avarge grade of 8,9 out of ten having swedish a 5, which is one number over a fail. now the teacher has changed into a very strict teacher and i hope itll only take a while for me to get used to the change. atleast ive been smart enough to take every possible "refresher course" possible, so i figure that if i cant pass with that amount of work, then ill just plain suck at foreign languages...