Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-01-2002, 04:25 PM   #41
Charean
Hathor

I miss the days of Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart !!!
Old 10-01-2002, 04:40 PM   #42
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:

Jimmy Stewart is from a town 10 miles from where I grew up in rural PA [img]smile.gif[/img] I miss him too, Greg Peck, I don't remember all that well [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-01-2002, 04:41 PM   #43
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Charean:
Concur!! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
There was a subtle evil underlying everything in To Kill a Mockingbird, but the difference in that day and age was that the coming-of-age stories came from glimpses of other people's lives. Boo Radley, and the whole clan, just weird. Ms. Doboise, fighting morphine addiction in her dying days. The story of what went on in that shanty-shack. But, no faults to Atticus Finch - truly the best dad who ever lived.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:00 PM   #44
Charean
Hathor

Kudos, Timber, I totally agree.

There was a subversive evil in that movie, and probably our country at the time, but we still had standup guys like him to look up to.

I think the days of Jimmy Stewart are over, but we can be our own heros if we make the right choices in life.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:00 PM   #45
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
quote:
Originally posted by Donut:
Someone who will look me in the eyes and tell me how to be a better person.

Where can we find such a man - it can't be a major problem can it?
Why do you need someone else to tell you how to be a better person? If this does not come from within then it will never be true.[/QUOTE]Good point Rokken [img]smile.gif[/img] But I don't think he was meaning that to be taken as a literal thing [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]OMG Donut, the're onto us - it looks like Magik has learned to look for the subtitle
Old 10-01-2002, 08:53 PM   #46
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
What we need is a return to the days when the family unit was the focus of our lives. When marriage was for life and husbands didn't have sordid affairs behind their wives backs. I yearn for an honest, moral politician that will lead us back to basics. Someone who will look me in the eyes and tell me how to be a better person.

Where can we find such a man - it can't be a major problem can it? Someone who will rid the country of all this sleaze and lies!!
Here is my 2c on this. The "moral family unit" didnt appear until the christians forced their world view onto everyone else. Most pre christian cultures practiced polygamy as well as polytheism. It wasnt until the christans started doing sword point conversions on the rest of the world and practiceing the "do it our way or die" method that the one man and one woman"Marrage" came into being.It was also the christans who introduced the theory that homosexuality and any position other than "missionary" was both sinfull and wrong.

As for "honest and moral" ,I have to ask by which set of morals are we going to be measuring?If I get to chose then I opt for useing the ideas put forth by Aleister Crowley.Where people have moral,bodily,mental, and sexual freedon and where "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law". I dont need politicians and religious leaders telling me how to think or be. My opinion on the presidency is that last time around the welfare set got their president when they got Bill Clinton because he is just like them. He lied, cheated,ran around on his wife, and blamed everyone else for his ills. Now the ultra conservative stick up their ass religious nuts have their president.George Bush is just like them because he doesnt cheat on his wife,forces christianity on anyone with in earshot ,looks down on anyone who appears to be diffrent,and has the I.Q. of a turnip. Hopefully next time around we will get a normal president who doesnt go to extremes and who isnt out to rule the world, just to do his job.

[ 10-01-2002, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: The Hunter of Jahanna ]
Old 10-02-2002, 04:49 AM   #47
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
quote:
Someone who will look me in the eyes and tell me how to be a better person.

Where can we find such a man - it can't be a major problem can it?
Why do you need someone else to tell you how to be a better person? If this does not come from within then it will never be true.[/QUOTE]Exactly Rokenn - there was a point to my post. I would guess that even people in the US have heard this story. The man himself is in Dallas today making a speech on behalf of a charity.

Perhaps one of you Texicans could pop down and ask him a question on my behalf. Somewhere along the lines of 'Why were you preaching about family values when you were screwing behind your wife's back' or 'did you ever get down and dirty with Anne Widdecombe' (just for Epona)
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-02-2002, 04:57 AM   #48
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by magnetism:
Men were always having torrid affairs even when they did not talk about it on Oppra.

Live your life by your own rules and stay the @#$$ out of everyone elses business.

The maxim is "Cultivate your garden" not "criticize your neighbors garden."
A man's private life is his own affair, even a politician. But John Major introduced his 'Back to Basis' campaign to preach to people about the importance of family values. This makes it open season on his private life. He is a hypocrite - he wanted people to reach standards that he himself was failing. That's why I'm pissed off!

He was elected because he was seen to be a 'decent man' - so it is my business.

My maxim to him would be: "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-02-2002, 06:02 AM   #49
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by magnetism:
Men were always having torrid affairs even when they did not talk about it on Oppra.

Live your life by your own rules and stay the @#$$ out of everyone elses business.

The maxim is "Cultivate your garden" not "criticize your neighbors garden."
A man's private life is his own affair, even a politician. But John Major introduced his 'Back to Basis' campaign to preach to people about the importance of family values. This makes it open season on his private life. He is a hypocrite - he wanted people to reach standards that he himself was failing. That's why I'm pissed off!

He was elected because he was seen to be a 'decent man' - so it is my business.

My maxim to him would be: "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"
[/QUOTE]Presicely. I don't care what people get up to in their private lives unless they are trying to tell me how to live mine. If it turns out that they don't practise what they preach then they are fair game.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:21 AM   #50
Neuromancer
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
When marriage was for life ? I think that was never the case, not on this planet that is.
What rock have you been hiding under. A great many people in the world marry for life.[/QUOTE]You mean ... for life no matter what ? Are a big wooden cross & a set of nails included in that kit ? [img]smile.gif[/img] I'll pass on this one and go with kensai/mage [img]smile.gif[/img]
Only life is for life. The bit 'till the end of it is called living - not merely existing, but being able to change. Hiding under a rock is not seeing one's options and blindly going along with what passes for "moral values" in this brief moment of time.

Neuro