Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 03-06-2002, 10:53 PM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Just finished reading Daughter of the Drow, and ordered Tangled Webs just now-- Anyone else read DotD? It was a great read..

Also--just finished reading The Jewel of Turmish, the 3rd 'Cities' series book based on the Forgotten Realms universe. This was a very 'loose' story, and felt like the author was making it all up as he was going along.. Author Mel Odom.. Not a good book IMO. a weak plot, and it seems to wander around to much.. 'loose' in that way.

Are Mel's other books this bad? I never read his other books.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 04:06 AM   #2
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Read Daughter of the Drow about ten years ago, can't remember much of it except it was very good.

The only good Forgotten Realms authors I've come across are R.A. Salvatore, Elaine Cunningham and, sometimes, Ed Greenwood.

--------------------

Magic is a treacherous mistress.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 07:44 AM   #3
dominions
Elminster

I've read Daughter of the Drow. I didn't think too much of it when I first started reading it (too used to seeing Drizzt pop-up in any Drow story [img]smile.gif[/img] ) but as the story progressed it became extremely griping.
I've also read Tangled Webs and can heartily recommend it.
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2002, 03:55 PM   #4
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ziroc:
Are Mel's other books this bad? I never read his other books.<hr></blockquote>

I read Odom's "The Rover" a few weeks ago. The basic story wasn't bad, but was pretty 'loose' as you say. Could've been a *lot* better, IMO. I was disappointed and likely won't read another of his.
Old 03-08-2002, 12:08 AM   #5
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Warhammer:
Read Daughter of the Drow about ten years ago, can't remember much of it except it was very good.

The only good Forgotten Realms authors I've come across are R.A. Salvatore, Elaine Cunningham and, sometimes, Ed Greenwood.
<hr></blockquote>

I've read pretty much every single Forgotten Realms books, I just bought DotD because it was one I 'overlooked'.. A great read as I said, I am running out of FR Books to read! [img]smile.gif[/img] I am THINKING about even reading some Greyhawk books!

I know a new Drow series is coming out--War of the Spider Queen I think is the name of it... Should be cool!

I DO have one series I have yet to read--The Cleric Quintet (I bought the Hardcover Novel that has all 5 books in it) I am REALLY looking forward to that. Been 'saving it' till last!

Old 03-08-2002, 11:08 AM   #6
dominions
Elminster

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ziroc:

... I am THINKING about even reading some Greyhawk books!

DON'T DO IT! I've read some of the Greyhawk novels - some of the worst RPG books I've ever read!

As for the Cleric Quintet (all in one novel), I've got that one. Great series. You'll love the Boulder Shoulder Brothers!
[img]\"http://www.shalewyn.com/Images/KrynnWhiteDragon1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Hah!\", thought the white dragon. \"A wand of Ice Storm will never harm me!\"<br />He never did figure out that he was in a CRPG...
dominions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 07:16 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Mel Odom brings disgrace to the Forgotten Realms. I can't think of a single book he's written that he hasn't managed to completely butcher. He did the Threat From The Sea series and look how that turned out!

Tangled Webs is quite good, Z. You'll enjoy it. Salvatore may be the master of drow warriors, but Elaine C's got the brassy drow female thing down pat.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 01:59 AM   #8
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Memnoch:
Mel Odom brings disgrace to the Forgotten Realms. I can't think of a single book he's written that he hasn't managed to completely butcher. He did the Threat From The Sea series and look how that turned out!

Tangled Webs is quite good, Z. You'll enjoy it. Salvatore may be the master of drow warriors, but Elaine C's got the brassy drow female thing down pat.
<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, Mel sucks.. He doesn't know how to put together a 'flowing' story.. and he ends it in the last 4 pages. But I found myself shaking my head saying 'he'd be DEAD or Druids would NEVER do that'.

I'm into the 3rd Chapter of the Tangled Webs book-- already like it! . I also ordered Dream Spheres--any good? It'll be nice to have those two back together again!

BTW, have you read 'The Summoning' yet? It was REALLY good--but the next book is going to be written by 3 different authors.. This is kinda scary.. I hope it's good..

Old 03-11-2002, 05:52 AM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Ziroc:

Yeah, Mel sucks.. He doesn't know how to put together a 'flowing' story.. and he ends it in the last 4 pages. But I found myself shaking my head saying 'he'd be DEAD or Druids would NEVER do that'.

I'm into the 3rd Chapter of the Tangled Webs book-- already like it! . I also ordered Dream Spheres--any good? It'll be nice to have those two back together again!
<hr></blockquote>

I just finished Dream Spheres last night, it was good but IMHO not as good as her previous stuff - there are a lot of subplots happening and it was hard to keep track of them all. Still, a mediocre book by Elaine C is a good book by anyone else's standard.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>BTW, have you read 'The Summoning' yet? It was REALLY good--but the next book is going to be written by 3 different authors.. This is kinda scary.. I hope it's good..<hr></blockquote>

Read that, and read the Siege as well, I thought they were excellent - I think Troy Denning is one of the better FR authors going around. I can't wait till the 3rd one comes out in April - I've already preordered it. Amazon love me.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote