Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2001, 10:25 PM   #11
Moni

You know though, with education having been made a priority over the last decade, I would bet the perctenage of people between the ages of 18-25 who lack even a basic H.S. education is much much lower.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 08-21-2001, 10:25 PM   #12
Mellagar

I do believe my words were taken a little out of context. My point was to say that problems are inevitable, not that one couldn't help. What I meant was to say that there is no reason loosing sleep over it. Do what you can but make sure to make life enjoyable for yourself and not dredge the worries of the world on your shoulders. Geez.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:32 PM   #13
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I think the 18.4% listed for less than a H.S. education is pretty heavily weighted with the 65+ crowd. Have to remember that things were diffent for our grandparents. They would often leave school as early as 6th grade to help the family earn a living. My grandfather left school for two years during the depression, and then went back to get his diploma.

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Old 08-21-2001, 10:36 PM   #14
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellagar:
I do believe my words were taken a little out of context. My point was to say that problems are inevitable, not that one couldn't help. What I meant was to say that there is no reason loosing sleep over it. Do what you can but make sure to make life enjoyable for yourself and not dredge the worries of the world on your shoulders. Geez.
Perhaps I won't loose any sleep, but I do feel like the weight of the world is on our shoulders. I cannot do much and my friends/family cannot do much, but if all 98.5% of us did something, then we wouldn't have 1.5% of the people living in cars, trucks, or vans (unless of course they choose to ). The world's problems are our concern, and while I will not discontinue my life, I certainly will not fully enjoy it as long as I know there are others in the situation they are in!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Old 08-21-2001, 10:37 PM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Mellagar:

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 08-21-2001, 10:48 PM   #16
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Perhaps I won't loose any sleep, but I do feel like the weight of the world is on our shoulders. I cannot do much and my friends/family cannot do much, but if all 98.5% of us did something, then we wouldn't have 1.5% of the people living in cars, trucks, or vans (unless of course they choose to ). The world's problems are our concern, and while I will not discontinue my life, I certainly will not fully enjoy it as long as I know there are others in the situation they are in!
Well if it helps your conscious any, I do what I can when I can. We even live next door to a house that is used twice a week to clothe and feed the poor and we make donations all the time.
Most of these so called "poor" dress pretty nice and drive running, non smoking vehicles...they also get pissed off at me when I ask them not to block our driveway because of Grandpa living here and the need to leave right away in case of an emergency is always a possibility whenever I am here alone with the man. I have been cussed at, spit at and told I am a f*cking b*tch...by people I donate charity to for asking them nicely to park someplace else...there is room for four cars in front of our house alone but if I park there, then I get blocked in anyway! The ladies that run the place will always apologize with a smile but they could care less, as long as they can make their money off of other people's garbage.
Somedays I think what is the freaking use but then I see these two women with small kids who walk a ten mile round trip for meager pieces of clothing out of the garbage, spending their money on canned goods and I know its worth it, but I tell you what honey-child, people play a whole lot poorer than they really are and that is the truth...here, there and every freaking where in this country. People are taught to take the free ride and the easy way out and they do.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 08-21-2001).]

Old 08-21-2001, 11:11 PM   #17
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Wear still the most powerful country

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be
Old 08-21-2001, 11:41 PM   #18
G'kar

Whats the saddest is that those people don't hafta live that way. Its the land of opportunity after all. I've slept on the curb and on park benches.You know what I learned. I dont hafta live that way. If I ever took govt money for my rent, what would I learn... yep I have a a choice, and a will and I don't hafta live that way! I have only compassion for those that do, it's rough anywhere to be trapped in a cycle of poverty, but it is a breakable cycle. To believe otherwise is no solution to the problems that have been presented here.

Old 08-22-2001, 01:45 AM   #19
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
Whats the saddest is that those people don't hafta live that way. Its the land of opportunity after all. I've slept on the curb and on park benches.You know what I learned. I dont hafta live that way. If I ever took govt money for my rent, what would I learn... yep I have a a choice, and a will and I don't hafta live that way! I have only compassion for those that do, it's rough anywhere to be trapped in a cycle of poverty, but it is a breakable cycle. To believe otherwise is no solution to the problems that have been presented here.

Good on you!

------------------