Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #41
MagiK
Emerald Dragon

Default Re: Cloudy's Cafe, a conversation zone, January 8, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
Hmm, but remember, this is south Florida where I am. The natives here complain about the cold when it gets below 65F. The funny thing is that they also complain again when in the summer the temperature is over 80F. I blame it on a sedentiary lifestyle that leaves them out of the elements far more than is healthy.
Adaptation to your environment. Im sure these people would manage to re-adjust if/when civilization falls apart and there isnt any air-conditioning or central heat Humans in general are wired to complain...it's in their nature....iit is also what drives us to make advances
Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #42
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungleau View Post
But you'll be a STRONG shattered whimpering wreck in the corner...
True, that

Also forgot to mention in my last rant, my sprained ankle is still acting up. And there isn't much I can do about it really. I have to walk to lectures, I have to walk up and down steps, the bandages don't work and painkillers have almost no effect on me any more. So woo.

Only say this because I just go up to get a drink and fell over. Cue me landing on a pile of washing and swearing.

Resting my ankle is my excuse for sleeping till midday while my boyfriend, who I'm staying with, goes off to lectures at seven every morning.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #43
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Hey all, sitting at home nursing my leg back to health.

Oye, I wish I would never have to go through this again, I forgot how much of a pain it was trying to walk again last time. I've got to move soon too, guess I won't be lifting much, sucks for my roomies
Gangrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #44
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

You got to uni DS, you don't HAVE to go especially not first year if your degree is like mine (and only second year plus counts towards it)

Take a week or so off and rest your foot, I assume all powerpoints from lectures get put onto blackboard or something?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #45
MagiK
Emerald Dragon

Ivelliis, don't you think the people paying her tuition might have a problem with that attitude?

I applaude DS for the work and effort she puts in.

Last edited by MagiK; 02-06-2009 at 06:21 PM.
MagiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #46
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

MagiK, take a look at that line above DS's sig pic... and know that you're not the first

I tend to agree, though... if you don't want to attend / study, then why go in the first place? Stay home, work at McDonald's or its equivalent, and earn money instead of spending it. So a tip o' the hat to you, DS, for deciding to make the best of it.

Hmmm... seems to me you could shame that guy who twisted your ankle into having to be your personal chauffeur until you're healed...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #47
MagiK
Emerald Dragon

Oops My bad, sorry for using the wrong pronoun
Old 02-07-2009, 06:42 AM   #48
Ivelliis
Gold Dragon

You mean...herself?

I pay my own tuition fees, as far as I'm aware most people, like myself, get student loans to pay for them. Now, I'm not saying sack off uni spend most the time drinking and pissing about, but surely if she's injured her ankle and is walking on it, I know for a fact it's doing her no good whatsoever and as stated earlier in the thread it will not heal. I don't know about the US, but in England university is heavily based on teaching yourself. I could not go to any lectures and get a first class, purely by using textbooks and powerpoints, seeing as the majority of lecturers simple give you the knowledge in it's simplest form, and you have to go research, learn and understand the rest yourself.

The effort isn't put in by attending a measly 10 hours worth of lectures a week or whatever. I do law, a course which I have to say isn't exactly easy on the workload you get. If I attended all of the lectures and that's it I'd fail. End of. Not because I'm stupid, not because it's a hard course, but because that's hardly putting the effort in.

For the record, I'm not saying you don't put the effort in DS I'm sure you do. I'm just trying to make them understand you have to do a damn sight more than just attend to succeed.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #49
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I got called a guy in my abscence, right? Not the first time.

I'm going to try to get into lectures if I can, as not everything is put on a website. If, however, it gets to the point where I can't move well (it has been getting better, with the lack of doing anything with it I have been doing) then I will stay home and rest it more.

Bung - You can't shame Ashley into anything. Trust me, I try. He is nice, but takes the attitude of "you got hurt? Oh well. Live with it. Don't expect sympathy, I'm a sadist".

And my parents pay my fees, cos damned if I can afford to, heh, so I'm going to try and go to lectures as much as possible.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #50
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

And Ive - You're right, we're encouraged to do most of our learning ourselves from books, but I have a lab based course so I would have to go into labs a hell of a lot. So there is only so far I can go without having to get up and wander into the building anyway.Also, as long as I pass this year, it doesn't count towards my final grade.