Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2001, 03:38 PM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

I wonder how many people in the World think terrorist are usually of the bin laden stripe. Do people realize that terrorism covers a very wide range.

If I called you up and said someday this month I'm going to come to your house and blow your head off with a shotgun and then just watched you as you lost your mind thinking about when it would happen. That of course is terrorism of the most personal nature.

If you were the skinny kid in school that the bully picked on, you were a victim of it.

It seems people now feel terrorism wears a turban and lives in the Middle East. The people that threaten Arabs in America are also terrorists.
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 04:12 PM   #2
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
I wonder how many people in the World think terrorist are usually of the bin laden stripe. Do people realize that terrorism covers a very wide range.

If I called you up and said someday this month I'm going to come to your house and blow your head off with a shotgun and then just watched you as you lost your mind thinking about when it would happen. That of course is terrorism of the most personal nature.

If you were the skinny kid in school that the bully picked on, you were a victim of it.

It seems people now feel terrorism wears a turban and lives in the Middle East. The people that threaten Arabs in America are also terrorists.

You're right,in most minds, terrorism wears the face of an Arab. Just another in a long line of stereotypes.

BTW, bullies also picked on the fat kids in school, and they are definately terrorists! I still remember a couple I'd have like to seen "smoked out of their holes".
Old 11-03-2001, 04:18 PM   #3
Neb
Account deleted by Request

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

BTW, bullies also picked on the fat kids in school, and they are definately terrorists! I still remember a couple I'd have like to seen "smoked out of their holes".

Ah yes, that is something I'd love to see.
Neb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 04:55 PM   #4
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

That's not true in most areas. Ppl in my area are just as afraid of western terroists as Arab ones. I've asked
Old 11-03-2001, 05:02 PM   #5
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:
Originally posted by Horatio:
That's not true in most areas. Ppl in my area are just as afraid of western terroists as Arab ones. I've asked

Ah yes, dear Horatio, but people living in the far reaches of the asteroid belt can hardly be taken as representative of any of us earthlings... The problems you have to contend with are so different! Instead of human loose cannon and environmental pollution, you have billions of loose asteroids all changing trajectory every which way, and no environment at all to speak of. By our standards, that is. I am sure you think your home quite lovely.....
Old 11-03-2001, 06:15 PM   #6
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:

Terrorism: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

------------------------------

Systematic:
1 : relating to or consisting of a system

2 : presented or formulated as a coherent body of ideas or principles

3 a : methodical in procedure or plan
3 b : marked by thoroughness and regularity

4 : of, relating to, or concerned with classification; specifically TAXONOMIC

Terror:
1 : a state of intense fear

2 a : one that inspires fear : SCOURGE b : a frightening aspect c : a cause of anxiety : WORRY d : an appalling person or thing; especially : BRAT

3 : REIGN OF TERROR

4 : violence (as bombing) committed by groups in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands

A school bully is not a terrorist. Neither is someone who threatens an individual in the manner you mentioned. In English, we use words to differentiate certain things.

A terrorist is one who practices terrorism as above. The systematic use of terror as a means of coercion.

BTW, to coerce is:

1 : to restrain or dominate by force
2 : to compel to an act or choice
3 : to bring about by force or threat the compliance of the rest of the community
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 06:26 PM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

I respectfully disagree. I was terrorized in school when I was a kid. Don't care what the definitions say.
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 06:30 PM   #8
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

quote:
I respectfully disagree. I was terrorized in school when I was a kid. Don't care what the definitions say.

I respectfully disagree. You were bullied. There is a word in English for your predicament, just as there is a word for what happened on 9/11/2001 and what happens in Israel or when a plane gets highjacked.

The definition does matter when seeking to communicate an idea to another who speaks the same language.

I was bullied for a little while in one of the 11 schools I went to and I'm sorry you were as well.

Don't try and equate it with true terrorism though mate. It creates confusion and hampers communication.

Cheers.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 06:33 PM   #9
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

quote:

I can so relate to that, Sky! Being a kid bullied by a whole lot of other kids IS terrifying. It gets so you're terrified to go to school, terrified to open your mouth, terrified to go to the toilets in case someoone is waiting for you. Being bullied can fill a child's whole life. There are children who have committed suicide because their lives were unbearable. The sensitive ones, the ones whose parents didn't know, or worse, didn't care....
Old 11-03-2001, 06:50 PM   #10
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

This the only time I believe we've ever disagreed Yorick

I was "only" bullied in school, but I've seen stories about kids who were truly terrorized.

Certainly terrorism on this level is much different, in scale and magnitude, than Osama Bin Laden's brand, but all of the following definitions from your posts can fit.

Terrorism:[/b] the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

Systematic:

3 a : methodical in procedure or plan
3 b : marked by thoroughness and regularity

Terror:
1 : a state of intense fear

BTW, to coerce is:

1 : to restrain or dominate by force
2 : to compel to an act or choice

Sometimes when looking back at childhood we remember the good times, and it's hard to remember how cruel kids can be.