Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2001, 08:20 PM   #11
Tiamat
Banned User

Univrix- when like half the world becomes one heck of a big empire......
Im talkin' canada, usa, europe, south america, and japan vs. ossama and the chinese, and the russians!

------------------

I am Tiamat!
Old 10-12-2001, 08:22 PM   #12
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
"Westerners' I believe was a film starring John Wayne

"The West" is a compass point

"Westies" are small annoying yappy dogs

Personally, I will won't try to give them labels and will just refer to them as fellow humans until I get to know them a bit better......or is that just too simple

O.k. What will the official language of Fellow Humans be? The Fellow Humans aren't as unified in language and culture as Australians and Japanese. It will be interesting to see if Fellow Humans rise above their petty differences and the history of war in their continent.

What get's me is why Norwegians, Swiss and Russians aren't Fellow Humans. When will they become Fellow Humans?

---------------------------------------
Mouse, I'm sorry but this just doesn't work. (sigh)

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 10-12-2001, 08:23 PM   #13
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiamat:
Im talkin' canada, usa, europe, south america, and japan vs. ossama and the chinese, and the russians!

But the Russians and Chinese are supporting the Coalition.

Old 10-12-2001, 08:38 PM   #14
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
O.k. What will the official language of Fellow Humans be? The Fellow Humans aren't as unified in language and culture as Australians and Japanese. It will be interesting to see if Fellow Humans rise above their petty differences and the history of war in their continent.

What get's me is why Norwegians, Swiss and Russians aren't Fellow Humans. When will they become Fellow Humans?

Sorry. Where did I say that I excluded these peoples ? The point I was making (in case you missed it ) was that not all people choose to define others by conventional stereotypical geo-political categories. I prefer to look to a wider categorisation and then judge and refine based on my experience.

That's why I don't believe Germans are closet Nazis who want to conquer Europe for Lebensraum, the French as a nation are not habitual losers who urinate in public and stink of garlic or any of the rest of this type and of ill-informed and jingoistic labelling.

Oh, and btw, it's 1.45am here so I am going to bed - so no more debating tonight

------------------
Regards

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 10-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Mouse (edited 10-12-2001).]
Old 10-12-2001, 08:48 PM   #15
Tiamat
Banned User

I never knew that.

------------------

I am Tiamat!
Old 10-12-2001, 09:12 PM   #16
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
Sorry. Where did I say that I excluded these peoples ? The point I was making (in case you missed it ) was that not all people choose to define others by conventional stereotypical geo-political categories. I prefer to look to a wider categorisation and then judge and refine based on my experience.

That's why I don't believe Germans are closet Nazis who want to conquer Europe for Lebensraum, the French as a nation are not habitual losers who urinate in public and stink of garlic or any of the rest of this type and of ill-informed and jingoistic labelling.

Oh, and btw, it's 1.45am here so I am going to bed - so no more debating tonight

Mouse, it's a linguistic reality that people will refer to people south of the river as "Southsiders" or something, to differentiate when speaking about them as opposed to people where they are. It has nothing to do with labels or stigmas, and more to do with communicating an idea easily.

Communication ease. I remember when there was a movement to remove "him" and "her" and replace them with "id" so there was no sexual reference.
All it does is add words to a sentance. If someone wants to describe id, who is smaller, with breasts, a monthly menstruative cycle and child rearing capabilities, then they will. "Woman" works just as well.

When talking about a person who lives between the Caucasus mountains in the east and the Atlantic in the west, the mediteranean in the south and the arctic in the north; and when talking about cultures that have smaller cars than America, better pasta and coffe than anywhere, and some of the best wines and cheeses, arts and music in the world, I'll use the word European!

Sheeesh!

However, what will I use when refering to Europeans who have joined politically as one nation (The European Union) as opposed to Europeans who have not (Norwegians, Swiss, Russians etc) when I wish to differentiate?

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 10-12-2001).]
Old 10-12-2001, 10:03 PM   #17
Moni

Lets make it simple and be The United Planet of Peoples. UPOPS.

Location in any direction has no bearing because when the earth flips on its axis, it will all change anyway.

We'll all call each other "Bro" or "Sis", unless if we are talking to someone relatively older, then we'll refer to them as "Mumsies" or "Pops"
Children can be refrred to as "Kiddo", this works for either gender.

*hugs*

------------------

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 10-12-2001).]

Old 10-12-2001, 10:09 PM   #18
Conan

I am Germish remember! 3/4 German and 1/4 Irish. I really dont like continental breakfast and skip them and go right for lunch

------------------
*\Conan/*

Old 10-13-2001, 03:46 AM   #19
Rikard

Quote:

Hell Anything to be against the Japanese who in fact are the greatest Terrorists ever lived
Killed millions of us and still denying it

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Necromancer/Blade of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

Official Register of the Top Posters;
"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...

Spam Sentinal too...
OMG i have to control Cloudy...

Old 10-13-2001, 03:50 AM   #20
Rikard

Quote:
I never knew that.

Maybe you should pay some freaking attention
And have some understanding of how the freaking world works
Russia is using this whole thing for its own good
Claiming that tsjetjeny is a Terrorist Area itself, I'm not saying it is, i'm noit saying it isn;t
I'm just saying you Should THINK before you say anything, It is so hard to think for you?

And china why the ■■■■ would China Support Terrorists?
Why would they takle the risk?
China is on it's way to become the greatest power in the world and supporting the terro's will give America a great reason to attack China and keep them weak
That would really be something Bush would do

------------------
Behold he who stands before you

Almighty (shared) Leader of the OHF
Proud member of the Ancients Club
The one True Necromancer/Blade of the Laughing Hyena's
Last of the Ancient race known as the Red Fluffies
Summoner of Bunnies

Official Register of the Top Posters;
"You can Run, You can Hide,
But you can never do both"

I'm Watching you...