Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-10-2001, 08:14 PM   #1
Charlie
Lord Ao

I've just got into IWD and I think it's brilliant. Don't get me wrong I love both Baldurs Gates too. For me in some respects I find IWD easier (not game difficulty wise) to play. I think that some of the game is intrinsically more difficult (I have bumped the difficulty level up slightly from how I played BG 1 & 2) but I prefer having a pretty straight storyline regardless of the fact that it's a linear adventure. The constant different quests and party member changes required in the BG series I sometimes found a little confusing and the straight forward "set party" approach really suits me. Personally I prefer the Dungeon delving to the open air adventuring anyway. I particularly like the fact that weaponry is of different quality too in IWD and the amount of gold retrieved is more akin to what I would expect from being the first to loot a dungeon. There's so much to be said for both of these games that I could go on and on.

This isn't a BG VS IWD thread but I'd be interested in the thoughts and comments of others concerning these two great games. What did you like about one that you'd have liked to see in the other, what are your criticisms and your favourite things etc. What should or could have been done to make the games better than they already are. Just general discussion really concerning these titles.

PS....Please add SPOILER if it's required

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 03-10-2001, 08:18 PM   #2
Griever
Manshoon

hes online too!!! hehe, well, lets say torment is similar to IWD its just longer. i mean, it has a straightforward sotryline, not that confusing like BG2, on where you hammered with quests and problems... at first i like freaked out on that matter my head hurt..

------------------

Tifa loves her Cloud, Squall loves his Rinoa, Sephiroth... loves his Masamune.
Old 03-10-2001, 08:25 PM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hi Charlie, I like both the BG series and Icewind dale. Well I started out early with roleplaying so the Dungeon crawl suits me fine too, but what I don´t like with IWD, cause you get too used to it in BG2, is that thieves and mages don´t gets any XP´s for disarming traps, learning new spells picking locks etc.
I also like IWD´s different weapon qualities and new weapons like broadswords and such. The magic items in IWD are really great and they have alot of twohanded axes too! Can anyone say Dwarven fighter with axes?? hehe

What I miss is BG´s great outoor environments though. I prefer open ground and woods to fight in, easier to use area effect spells in and such, in BG2 and IWD it gets kind of like a medieavel SWAT operation..

One thing too that is good for a change is that you can decide all of the characters though you miss some nice comments like in BG2..

------------------

Do electric wolves dream of electric sheep?
Old 03-10-2001, 08:31 PM   #4
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi Griever.

Yeah I've got Torment but there was far too much dialogue for my liking. I've only done the first 2 floors. I'll return to it when I'm finished with the other titles no doubt. By all means include any RPG titles in this thread for discussion. This is pretty much how I found out about IWD in the first place and I could well do with another suprise like that.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 03-10-2001, 08:33 PM   #5
Griever
Manshoon

haha, a medieval SWAT operation..( Mission Impossible 2 theme) hehe and yes, electric wolves dream of electric sheep/

------------------

Old 03-10-2001, 08:35 PM   #6
Griever
Manshoon

i have to agree charlie. i was at first astonished due to the looonnggg dialogues. but it was to my liking. i liked the chraracters which made me love the dialogue... wait till you get to ravel. LOOOOONNNNGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

Old 03-10-2001, 08:40 PM   #7
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Speaking of IWD and BG......for some reason, I ALWAYS get better rolls when generating character in IWD than in BG or BG2......it seems to be a lot easier to role 90+ in IWD for some reason.....

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-10-2001, 08:46 PM   #8
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Charlie, hows your IWD game going? I thought the game was GREAT!
Old 03-10-2001, 08:56 PM   #9
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Griever:
i have to agree charlie. i was at first astonished due to the looonnggg dialogues. but it was to my liking. i liked the chraracters which made me love the dialogue... wait till you get to ravel. LOOOOONNNNGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No kidding Griever, that one goes on forever it seems!
Torment is really great, play it more Charlie and soon you want nothing than to continue it, it is lika a really good book!

------------------

Do electric wolves dream of electric sheep?
Old 03-10-2001, 08:58 PM   #10
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi.

Accord, yes I've got to agree on that score. I spent hours rolling up my people but high numbers were certainly more common.

LoA. I love it. Can't really fault it atm. I especially like the fact that you can use your own voice or other voices as opposed to the defaults (is that poss' in the BG games?) My thief swears and farts like the true drunken bum that he is...awesome. I also like the fact that you get swarms of monsters attacking you at once which keeps you right on the edge at all times. Yes I'm really really enjoying it immensely. Thanks to yourself and others for recommending it. A M/P IWD could also have a lot to offer as NPC's aren't such an issue and that's something else I'm looking forward to.

------------------
One love, peace.