Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 09-25-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
badgrrl448
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Pleeeeeze help - I have reinstalled this stupid game 10 times in the last 2 hours!! At first I was getting the "You are viewing a message intended for the developers..." message but every time it would be on a different file name, and now I'm not getting anything at all. When I try to start the game with CD 3 in the screen goes black and then back to the desktop (I don't even get the Sir-Tech logo), and when I try to start it with CD 1 in it says "Please insert the correct CD-ROM and restart the application.".....what am I doing wrong??? The version of all three CD's is 1.2.4 but I still tried installing the patch which made no difference. I read the old post about renaming the .bik videos directory but that didn't help either. I have used these CDs in a successful install before so I'm pretty sure they work, and I've been playing off CD 3 for wuite some time here on a different machine....I'm not sure what else you need to know, but the Windows version is XP, and the vid card is a GeForce 2 Pro....please help before I lose my mind....all I want to do is beat on some Juggernauts!!!
badgrrl448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:17 PM   #2
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

The 3rd CD has given me grief in the past. I even returned it once just see if it was the CD; it wasn't. I think it's more to do with the config of your system, or even your CD drive. In my new computer it seems to be better. I did get that message a few times for a while, during game play. I think it was the party or just using the keys too fast.
I would try opening and closing the CD drawer when you have the black screen during loading. I think that worked for me. I think I had a similar issue with Heroes3.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:21 AM   #3
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

also check for driver updates and run the game's auto-detect again. (in Setup)
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 04:17 PM   #4
Riftmaker
Elminster

Patch. Always patch the game up before playing it.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:29 PM   #5
dplax
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Riftmaker:
Patch. Always patch the game up before playing it.
He said in his post that he had patched the game.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 06:02 PM   #6
Riftmaker
Elminster

Ooops, my bad.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

badgrrl448, did the cd drawer thing help?
Old 09-27-2004, 09:04 PM   #8
badgrrl448
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanx Variol, but unfortunately it didn't...the computer has a fresh XP install so drivers are updated/etc...I tried opening/closing the CD drive at the first black screen but no dice...I DO get the Sir-Tech logo and that's it, then black screen, then dumped back to desktop. I am back on my own computer now so I can play for now (yay!), but bf's computer is the wanky one and I'll need to use it again this weekend....thanks all for your help!
badgrrl448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 09:27 PM   #9
Scatter
Symbol of Cyric

Hey Riftmaker, i got my game so long ago it has no patch, and i only patch 001b so i can PP. Nothing devastating has happened yet. In fact, it runs faster and cleans up after itself better than when i tested PP under the latest patch.
Scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 11:46 PM   #10
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

This following tip has been known to help solve WinXP crashes: (Background information can be found here)

Try this:

1) Right-click on the Wiz8 icon

2) Select Properties

3) Set compatibility to "Windows 98 / Windows ME"

==========================================

Alternative, here's some standard questions which might lead to a solution:

1) Have you checked the Common Problems / Reported Issues page? Recommend you check this!!!

2) What version of Wiz8 do you have? (either the CDs will have "v1.2.4" printed on them, or you have v1.0).

3) If you have v1.0, have you applied to v1.2.4 patch (also known as the 12_24 patch)?

4) What hardware to you have? CPU / RAM / Video / Sound / keyboard etc

4a) What OS? Is it patched with the latest updates?

5) What settings did you select in the Wiz8 set up? (would be helpful if you could paste a copy of the 3DVIDEO.CFG file located where you installed Wiz8).

6) Have you checked that you've got the latest drivers for your PC, video and sound cards?

7) If you're using DirectX, what version do you have installed? (To determine what version you have, there should be a link to DxDiag located in the C:\Program Files\DirectX\Setup\ directory or located in C:\Windows\System32 for WinXP).

8) Have you tried using both Open-GL and DirectX, do you get the same result with both?

9) Do you get any sort of error message, or any other detail you can provide which might be of help?

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote