Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2001, 03:44 AM   #1
cmpcheap
Welcomed New User

Mind flayers are a challenge... Unless your party contains a cleric. My mean mother-blanking servant of God can wipe them out without risking a scratch.

Here is how...

Keep the party in the next room. Turn off the AI, select your priest.

1) Make him invisible w/ ring, potion, or spell.
2) Have him walk up right next to one of those brain-sucking spasmoids.
3) Have him cast Blade Barrier.
4) Do nothing but watch. Repeat as needed.

Father Quisinart will get up to speed, and the first blood he draws will make the other illithis / Umber Hulks draw near, often into range of the blades. Wait, recast as needed, soon there will be nothing but dead baddies. It is best to pick a spot where many are grouped.

This works very well on many tough uglies, including Beholders. Sadly, the really big beholders can see invisible and will wreck your day. Non-detection helps, but it doesn't last long.

Hardly heroic, but hey, this ain't the Olympics. ( Apologies to Mr. Zalazny...)

------------------
May you seek what finds you.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:15 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I've got a way to "legitimize" this solution in terms of roleplaying for those who might think it's a little cheezy. First cast Chaotic Commands on yourself to protect yourself from their psionic blasts (and the umber hulks' confusion gaze). Then have a supply of potions of genius handy (to give yourself a buffer from their psychic drain). Then cast your blade barrier and have at it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 06-11-2001).]
Old 06-11-2001, 07:18 AM   #3
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I just backstab them
Makes them easy to kill. I lead the umber hulks away towards my party and I backstab the mindflayers one by one. They don't move too far if you can hide fast enough..

------------------
Why?
Old 06-11-2001, 10:58 AM   #4
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

dual weld the Equalizer and a death blade. Who wants Calimari?

Old 06-11-2001, 11:25 AM   #5
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil:
dual weld the Equalizer and a death blade. Who wants Calimari?
Death blade? What are you talking about, Gwhanos?

------------------
Old 06-11-2001, 11:30 AM   #6
Haddar - Servant of Talos
The Magister

I've noticed this "death blade" in a couple of threads. What sword is this? Or is it another name for an already known sword?
Old 06-11-2001, 11:35 AM   #7
Legolas the Elven Archer

Why go through all that trouble of casting a blade barrier? You'd have to sleep quite often, wouldn't you? And don't they have MR?
Personally, My Archer Legolas does all the work on the mindflayers. With his trusty bow and arrow, boots of speed, ring of free action and whatever item works against domination they don't stand a chance.
Here's how it works:

Lock your entire party safe for the archer in a room so they won't be seen. Then hide the archer.
Find the flayers and start shooting at them. When they notice you, retreat while firing more arrows at them (or the umberhulks, whichever are nearer). Go round a corner or out of sight and hide in shadows if you can't retreat any further. Then run to the other side and repeat the tactic untill they are all dead. If one manages to land a blow for whatever reason, you can hide until you recover

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Old 06-11-2001, 12:05 PM   #8
Graccus
Dungeon Master

My entire party except for Anomen, Nalia and my char (mage) died in the underdark from simultaneous battles with Gauths, Beholders, and Mind Flayers. Anomen had, died (and been raised by Jaheira before she died) and had no equipment. I ran out to the previous level (the only way to get them not to follow you) and slept. Anomen cast Chatoic Commanded and Nalia hasted everyone Went back and used Anomen as cannon fodder while Nalia and my char killed all 5 Flayers with Melf's Minute Meteors. It was so easy it was almost sick.
Old 06-11-2001, 12:13 PM   #9
Sothorious
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You can move in with an invisible mage and then cast Mordaikain's sword. Send in the sword... Multiple if you can. Rest and repeat.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:08 PM   #10
Graccus
Dungeon Master

Yikes, sorry about the grammar in my last post. That's what I get for talking on the phone, writing an email, and posting at the same time.