Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Letter

Has anyone done it to their cat? Our little Mikka is six months old now and due to have her desexing tomorrow, and I'm sure I'm going to spend a sleepless night tonight worrying about it.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwARAz8VV*!6n2t7dvWHOikBR9Yo3nh25wQPQz4KHy*HZLkeg x9BdatjNhkyMaoEhMw9JHnYdyCA2FUcvJNBWxhEPYTD8SuJYv9 c3JG8AON2lGVBEk6jvQ/117-1769_IMG.JPG?dc=4675500877969655323[/img]

I realise the benefits of desexing (not to mention it's pretty much required here in OZ if you haven't got a breeder's license) but anyone have any insights on post-surgery care? Will she eat? Can we carry her? Can we leave her alone? Will she try and bite at the stitches? Can she pee and poo? How long before she can walk/run/be back to normal? That sort of stuff. I'll be asking the vet all these questions tomorrow, but would welcome any insights from those of you who have gone through this.

[ 12-09-2004, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 12-09-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

You're stressed?

How about Mikka?

Sorry...I could make a phone call and find out from a friend, but by the time I did that, somebody here would answer.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:46 AM   #3
Lady Sedai
Banned User

*hug* Calm down, dear.

I've had now probably 2 dozen cats desexed in the last 10 years or so.

It's not a big deal anymore, truly.

Your beautiful little Mikka will be okay.

Answers to your questions vary with each kitty, but basically, you treat her as normal, just don't "play rough" with her or pick her up *too* much. If you *do* pick her up, you get one hand under her rear feet and one hand under her chest to support her without putting too much pressure on her surgical area.

Personally, I've never had any of my cats (and I'm only speaking of the females who were spayed at the moment as it's different from desexing a male) have any adverse affects.

They are a bit groggy, a little wobbly, but otherwise, they are fine.

The vet will tell you, probably, to replace the litter in the litter box with shredded newspaper for a few days to prevent foreign particles from getting on the incision area. So yes, she can pee and poo.

She'll need a little water at first, then within about 8 hours, a little food.

I'd also suggest you confine her to a small area (one room - her favorite, or a bathroom) for the first day or so just so she will be encouraged to be calmer. But I've had cats inside and out go right back to life as usual.

I'd not leave her alone the first day home if at all possible *just* as a precaution, but if you confine her, even that's possible.

Daily, check the stitches area to see if they look red or "puffy". It is unlikely they will, but that's a sign of infection and early detection will keep her safe. She *may* lick at the stitches, but she may not. It depends on the kitty. If she does, try to discourage it *too* much, especially if the licking looks like she's biting or pulling on the stitches. If *that* happens, she may have to have one of those Elizabethan collar things - which she will hate, LOL!

And she should be completely "back to normal" in about a week. Although, personally, I was still careful picking any of the girls up for at least a month, LOL! But that's just me.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
Sigmar
Unicorn

I've desexed 7 of my lil' partners, the males tend to be curious as to where their "partners" went, they were only groggy for about two days after the operation.

Don't feed them too much *they hurl up the food straight away otherwise* just give them some comfort and company and they'll get over it!

As for picking them up, I cradled them in my arms so as not to put pressure on any one part of their bodies.

Otherwise listen to the far more insightful and helpful Lady Sedai's post!
Old 12-09-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
Lady Sedai
Banned User

LOL, Siggy!

Well, I'll also admit that, no matter how many times I've done this, I've been anxious the day before and the day of.

I don't LIKE putting my companions through that, but I know it truly *is* for their best if they are not going to be bred.

And I always feel soooooo guilty stuffing them in the carrier and *leaving* them there at the vets. Then guilty upon picking them up knowing I left them there all day.

Needless to say, my friends are all spoiled absolutely ROTTEN once I get them home again.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

About the stuffing into the carrier...are they ok to be carried back home in this? Or should we carry an open basket as well? She tends to be quite squirmy when the time comes to put her in the carrier, and I'm not too keen about pushing her in at the end of the day (unless she's that groggy that she won't resist).

As for carrying her, I suppose I can cradle her on her back? She likes being carried like that anyway, like a baby.

Thanks guys, I'm feeling less stressed now.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:51 AM   #7
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Larry took the word right out of my mouth.
Kitty must be stressed. But looks like everyone has some knowledge in this. I have never had a cat and only had one dog when I was young and do not rember the whole process what we had to do.

But on a lighter note I will be getting desexed after the next baby. OUCH. And you think your stresed. [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

How can Kitty be stressed? She has no idea what's in store for her tomorrow [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]

Old 12-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #9
Lady Sedai
Banned User

LMAO@Mack! [img]tongue.gif[/img] Yes, I'd imagine the stress levels increase exponentially when it's YOU that's getting "fixed. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

And Mems, she should be adequately docile when you go to pick her up. If you can, leave the carrier with the vet and let them put her back in or tell them you'd like the option. Just come prepared with a basket/blanket combo and tell the vet if she fights going in the carrier that you'll have an alternate upon pickup.

If you aren't driving (or have a passenger with you if you are), carrying her may be an option, but I do think it's best all around to have her back in her carrier. She may not like it, but it's the safest form of transport.

Glad to hear our input here has put you at ease somewhat. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2004, 10:00 AM   #10
Lady Sedai
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
How can Kitty be stressed? She has no idea what's in store for her tomorrow [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]
Indeed. Kitty doesn't have a clue.