Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 03-09-2001, 12:20 PM   #1
DarkJedi

Hello i have been a thief for Bg1 and since there are 4 choices available i was wondering if u guys/girls could tell me which one would suit my needs. I like to sneak around A LOT, i mean thats basically all i do is sneaking around back stab here backstab there and maybe ill use a bow if there are multiple enemies but i need help because if the backstab fails i am down one forth of my life.

I dont know why but i really think that mages are a waste of time besides the healing spells. Any comments

And what the hell is the Shadow Keeper? where to get it and what it does.

Old 03-09-2001, 12:35 PM   #2
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

See youre other post:

Shadow keeper is a program that lets you bugger about with your characters in the game. You can get it from www.teamBG.com

------------------
[insert witty phrase here]
Old 03-09-2001, 12:50 PM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

Jedi, I'm not sure what you mean but Mages don't have healing spells actually...those are clerics and druids. Frankly, I disagree with you which ever class you're referring to, but I fear we'll have another Mage vs. Fighter debate on our necks (we've had about 1000 of them!)
OK in short if you're talking mages: they're indispensable for fighting other mages, quick spelldisruption, breaching through mages defenses plus thery get some decent protection spells to such as Stoneskin. I wouldn't know what to do without Magic Missiles, and Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Lower Resistance, Greater Malison, Death Spell, Chain Lightning, Limited Wish etc etc
If you're talking priests, well you mentioned some helpful spells already, namely the Cure/Heal spells. Saying 'they're useless except for healing' ius a bit silly & unfair, that's like saying a fighter is useless except for his great fighter skills...
Clerics are really kickass characters who can have decent AC and fighter skills so that they can tank for you and still cast spells. Very useful are Holy Smite, Turn Undead, Sunray, Bolt of Glory and False Dawn
Druids' Iron Skins and Insect PLague (later: Creeping Doom) absolutely ROCK!!

Every character class has some great merits.

About choosing a thief kit, if you like backstabbing, DON'T use the Swashbuckler kit, as you don't get a backstab multiplier!
Oh, and SK can also be downloaded here

------------------
Melusine

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-09-2001, 01:06 PM   #4
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Thanks Melusine
Anyway i wont have another discussion about mages vs fighters.

And to you Jedi, take the assasin: this kit gets a higher backstabb multiplier and can use poison in his/her sword.

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame
Old 03-09-2001, 02:45 PM   #5
white heron
Manshoon

Starting as a thief is great because once you're out of the dungeon,you can dump minsc and jaheira for a while and go on a nicking spree,you should already have a potion of master thievery by that time which will last for 6 hours...which gives you plenty of time to run around the promenade AND the slums stealing some great stuff for your team.Particularly good is a Ring of regeneration which can be pickpocketed of the guy in the Adventurers Mart,-this will save you loads on healing potions and spells.Also if you're on your own at this point you get 400 exp points each time you unlock a chest or door(just dont open them),so you can level up a bit too.
-Likewise, starting as a dual thief/to mage you should have enough spells by the time you're out of the dungeon to level up and get you're thieving skills back,providing you kick out minsc and jahiera,Woohoo!...i did this.
....but yes, if you like backstabbing,dont choose the swashbuckler.

------------------
"And remember what i told you....Walk with rage against those who threaten the great Mother!".