Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2002, 01:52 PM   #111
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
I am old enough to have read accounts of how the the Israeli underground killed British officials and generals with bombs. However, that was pre-1948, the year Israel and I were both born. Regarding US (and my) backing Israel, perhaps I'd be less biased if I knew one good thing that the Arabs have ever done towards Israel. Also, UN sanctions, pfft. I am supposed to be respectful of a colledtion of tinpot dictators that passed a resolution equating Zionism as racism? I don't think so.
Errr you can define racism with a resolution? Isnt that like having a resolution for making the sky blue or a resolution making Hot the same as cold? Kind of a weird thing to make a resolution on.

Old 10-31-2002, 02:03 PM   #112
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Errr you can define racism with a resolution? Isnt that like having a resolution for making the sky blue or a resolution making Hot the same as cold? Kind of a weird thing to make a resolution on.
Agree, but they did just that.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:13 PM   #113
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

the on topic posts were very well constructed (for the most prts, and I appreciate the information, I just wish I had something to add to teh debate, but unfortunately i tend to agree with Magik on this, and haven't seen anything yet that needs my input. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2002, 02:25 PM   #114
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I'm not sure if this is the UN resolution you were referring to or not Attalus:

"In 1975, the General Assembly, by a vote of 89 to 67, passed a resolution declaring that "Zionism is a form of racism." That resolution sat on the books until 1991 when it was revoked by a vote of 87 to 25."

source

Not that it makes it any better.. but the resolution is no more.

[ 10-31-2002, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 10-31-2002, 02:59 PM   #115
MagiK

Well that is good that it got cleared up [img]smile.gif[/img] Id really rather the UN try to keep the resolutions to things that they (the UN) are going to do..you make a resolution to take some action ...a noun followed by a verb not to defining words or pigeon holing a group of people which Im sure the US Sennate would "resolve" as "stereotyping".

Failing to keep "resolutions" on track with proposed actions, they could alwys just talk about how big their monitors were....

Edit: for grammatical and typographical errors as usual.

[ 10-31-2002, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 10-31-2002, 03:01 PM   #116
MagiK

Thanks Morgeruat. Umm what is a Morgeruat?

Old 10-31-2002, 03:37 PM   #117
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
quote:
Yes Ma'am you did, yet were I the kind of person that was being alluded to, I would have argued with you just for the sake of argument. [img]smile.gif[/img] Im not saying I have never done that either, but I do try to limit it as much as possible.
Oh really ? As much as possible ?

Well, what I think of this thread so far is that it takes two to tango. IMO, any reasoning leading to an opinion that one side is all white and pure and the other side is black evil is destructive to any hope of ever solving this conflict ...

Also, the recurring of "the Jews" and "the Arabs" makes me really uncomfortable. Aside from sharing a common basis, Arabs and Jews all over the world are as diverse as all nuances of a rainbow. I believe that, as in any large group of people, both Jews and Arabs have their share of extremists, and that it is these extremists we are seeing in action in that conflict.

And please, those who did, don't use the word "race". There is only one human race on the earth, homo sapiens sapiens, it has been so since the disappearance of the Neanderthal humans 30 000 years ago.
[/QUOTE]You rock more Moiraine!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-31-2002, 04:10 PM   #118
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Thoran:
I agree with you that there's an apparent difference in how killings by the PLO and Israel are percieved, but it appears to me that Israeli attacks on Palestinians (at least the ones that get international press) are always reactions to a previous PLO action. Most people will not have a problem with someone punching a guy back that's just punched him.
But there is a problem when you trip and kick a couple of by-standers while you're trying to return the punch. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Ah, just ignore me. [img]graemlins/awcrap.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2002, 04:30 PM   #119
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Thanks Morgeruat. Umm what is a Morgeruat?
umm... a Morgeruat is a bastrdized misspelling of my normal net id of Morguerat (ie morgue rat) i misspelled it when i signed up and have been too lazy to get a new acct to fix the mishap
Old 10-31-2002, 05:10 PM   #120
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Oh, and I don't think "Israelians" exist anywhere on the planet.
Well then, replace it with whatever term you use in English. I'm French, and we say "Israëliens". For once, YOU do the effort of translating, OK ? [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QB][/QUOTE]

Nice call Moiraine. [img]smile.gif[/img]