Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 02-06-2004, 06:42 PM   #11
Berik
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hi guys,
Let me explain some things a little better. When the reformat was done, only c drive was completely reformatted, wiped clean. In an attempt to save the game and some music files both D & E were not reformatted. Now since the problem with the game I have tried to reformat D, but it would'nt let me. The friend who performed the c reformat from the disk (I am not very computer Savvy) was totally surprised about this and could not explain. The reason I put the game on D was because he told us to only ever put Operating stuff on C in case I was locked out again. I guess so I would not loose heaps of progs and data like last time. I moved the game back to c per your suggestion, no change. I am unable to access game settings at all as it crashes as soon as the opening video finishes. in fact unless I uninstall and reinstall I don't even get the video. Nada, I click to start game and It opens a black screen for a few secs and then crashes. Yes, the deep 6 is marked to run in compatibility for 95. As for a list of the background progs can someone explain where to find this, I have found it before but for the life of me can't find it again. All I did was disable all progs that were shown as running in the tool bar. As I said, I am familiar with my computer, but not savvy. I have brought and begun Dungeon Seige as I was getting desperate for some questing, but still would love to be able to play WW, so if you need any more info, let me know.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:51 PM   #12
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... If I were your computer friend, I'd be laying in a supply of mountain dew...

Okay, in no particular order...

1. To get the list of programs that are running, you need to open the Task Manager. The old standby method for doing this is to hit ctrl-alt-delete; that brings up the task manager on Win9x, and bring up a window that lets you get to the task manager on Win2k and XP. I forget what it does on NT.

You can also get to it by right-clicking on the start bar in Win2k and higher, I think. Something over there...

2. If your system was downed because of a virus, reformatting D: and E: may not be a bad idea. At the least, you should make sure they are thoroughly scanned and given a clean bill of health.

3. D: and E:? Do you have three drives in there, or did someone partition your drive into three (or more) pieces? If you're talking about partitioning, then starting over involves doing a low-level format -- wiping all the partitions from the disk and then recreating, reformatting, and reinstalling windows. I'm going to be doing that on this PC soon... just because it gets a little flaky. Plus it will let me clean up some old junk [img]smile.gif[/img]

4. As part of that complete reformat, I would save your savegame directory and roster.dat file. That's all you need to get back to where you were when you completely remove and reinstall the game. IF you haven't done that yet, I'd suggest it.

5. There may be some files on D: that are in use by Windows. That may be what's preventing you from reformatting it. On my system (two hard drives), my virtual memory swap file is on drive D:.

Unfortunately, I'm feeling that if this were my machine, I would do a complete low-level format of the entire thing and start back over from scratch. That includes all three drives, and may involve finding an uber-geek to help out, if you're not comfortable with that process. Before you do it, make sure to back up everything you may want or need to some place -- tape, CD, other computer, or whatever. Note that "want or need" refers to data, not programs. You can reload W&W; you can't reload your saved games or roster.dat.

And please, ask more questions. I know how frustrating it is to try to get something to work, and I can tell you it's possible. It may just be a little challenging getting there, but we can help you do it.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 09:50 PM   #13
Berik
Elite Waterdeep Guard

IT IS FIXED.
I had to go to the Microsoft Download Centre for something else, and while looking through the list of available updates I found one which said :
update for "game crashes immediately after video plays" which was caused by installation of patch ***** for ****.
Or something similar anyway. So I added it to my list, downloaded it, restarted the comp. And BINGO. Game started as normal. So thanks for all your help guys, but it appears the culprit was an update installed when the comp was rebooted from disk. It was Microsoft all along. Have a great day.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:11 AM   #14
WillowIX
Apophis

Berik, would you be so kind to post either the hotfix number or a link to te Microsoft site regarding this problem? This could very well be an essential fix for many players. And I don't doubt there is an equivalent of this "patch" fr Windows 2000. Any further information would be very helpful. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And it's great your game is working. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] Enjoy it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:21 AM   #15
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Cool! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] I second Willow's thoughts... if you can find that patch info again, it should be in the Tech Tips thread.

Now go out there and kill something.... [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote