Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2003, 09:54 AM   #1
free
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hi all....I began WW about a month ago, and i got a ways near the cemetary, and by then the crashes got to me abit, and with Neverwinter nights also on the front burner, i went to that. But I rub my hands to gether and am to try again...even with 400 modules of NWN, on my system, i must have other games to play, or else i will get bored!

i have three topics to write about

one...
the crashing?!....
it was NOT the problem with "codecs", as i would get quite a bit into the first part of the game, without problems. i would go into the town and then do things at the inn...the town hall...the armory, for instance. then when i would click on the gate, that hourglass would run...and run...and run some more: hangs up.
with my 1000megs of dedicated virtual memory and my 356 of RAM...i do not feel this is a "memory problem"! i FEAR it is that i have directX 8.1!!
I am NOT going to bust it and redo x7! too too many other games on my system that needs it.
I did find a very *very* obscure FAQ that says...if you need to, go back to 640 X 400 resolution with 16bit color!!
...then there is "software mode" i can try.

probably what i will need to do, is to just do ONE thing in the town, go out and save...then re-enter and do another thing...go back out and save *that* then go back in...etc...

any other observations, people, that you have on "crashing, locking up"?!!

two.....
I am going to redo my characters and i was interested in only doing one or two characters. but as i didled a bit with the screen, i realized that in order to get the full enjoymnet of the game as i *think* Bradley intended...is to use all of the character types, so that all of the skills are used...
especially...
fighter. wizard .priest. rogue. ranger.
I probably will go with that.

three....
i am tempted to find that FAQ site and post that faq in the forum!
it is written in GERMAN and only the google search engine's translator can get it in english and not too well at that. but i have not seen this faq anywhere else that i can recall: it looks to be an old old faq that is now gone from most other sites! it might have something in it that might help someone...look for it, in the forum, if i can find it again!!

freestone
Old 10-29-2003, 10:07 AM   #2
free
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by free:

three....
i am tempted to find that FAQ site and post that faq in the forum!
it is written in GERMAN and only the google search engine's translator can get it in english and not too well at that. but i have not seen this faq anywhere else that i can recall: it looks to be an old old faq that is now gone from most other sites! it might have something in it that might help someone...look for it, in the forum, if i can find it again!!

freestone [/QB]
hi all again.

I went to that german site and it was their ACTIVISION site, Activision's german site.
i then went to the American activision site
https://activision.com/en_US/home/home.jsp
and under the support link, i clicked it and then did a search for
"pc"..."wizards and warriors"
there is a faq there, that is the same one.

wait a minute!!
i went to read this faq, translated in german, and it is NOT the same as the western version, it is questions asked by german people, so that there are topics, here, that are not covered in the american faq!!
i may indeed post it!!

freestone
Old 10-29-2003, 05:35 PM   #3
moiraine sedai
Zhentarim Guard

Sometimes it is fun to play the game with only one or two characters... It can add a lot more exictement. Why not start with just a warrior and a rogue? Or a warrior and a wizard? Or two rogues?!?

So far, on the boards, I think that we have agreed that there is no 'impossible' party combination... Radek's 'Tia' story could be worth looking up... And then there is Bungleau's solo rogue, Missy Hissy. Even then there are people who have the played the whole game through as a vampire boogre...

So there are heaps of combinations to try... Have fun!

Moiraine Sedai
Old 10-30-2003, 12:04 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, free. May your adventures in the Gael Serran bring comfort to children and songs to bards throughout the land.

Hmmm... have you read the tech tips thread and looked up "crashing"? There are a number of things there... Dx 7 is not required (I play with Dx8.1).

See Yonkoc's thread for some info that we can use to help, including your OS, memory, vid card, and so on. Also, specific info about where you're crashing may help -- often, these things are triggered by an action (putting on a certain ring, for example). Odds are that if there's an answer, we've found it. Last I knew, for example, the Activision site claimed you couldn't run W&W under XP... but we know how (and share that info gladly).

And one slight correction, Moiraine... Missy started as a warrior, not a rogue. My next character will probably be a solo rogue. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote