Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

LINK

Quote:
Dad shocked by sex show on phone

By Debbie Leigh
A MAN who unwittingly bought a second-hand phone was disgusted to find an obscene home video on it.
Dave Barthram, 60, of Clifton, near Otley, was horrified by the images of a man who had filmed himself with the camera phone while carrying out an obscene act.
It was a double shock because when Mr Barthram bought the Sony Ericsson K750i from The Mobile Phone Shop, Orchard Gate, Otley, he thought it was brand new.
But staff refused to exchange the phone or refund his money.
Mr Barthram, a life coach, said: "I was disgusted and shocked, but at least I'm not young and impressionable and I'm a bloke.
"Any woman who might have bought it would have found it offensive."
He added: "It was obvious they hadn't taken care to ensure it was fit for re-sale."
The dad-of-two was looking for a new charger for his old phone, but noticed some mobiles on display and opted to buy what he assumed was a new phone.
He paid £65 and was handed the phone and charger, but no instructions or box.
He said he asked for both. The assistant looked for them, but then said there weren't any.
When he got it home he started exploring the different functions, including the video facility which had three options.
"The first was a tour of the phone and there were two others.
"I thought the first one was a bit amateurish and when I looked at the second one I knew immediately it was not intended to be on the phone because it was what I would call obscene."
He informed Trading Standards and West Yorkshire Police and went back to the shop to complain, but said the assistant wasn't interested and pointed to a sign saying "no refunds given."
The manager, Manmoan Singh, apologised for the footage being left on the phone.
He said staff "tried their best" to erase all images and information from second-hand phones, but on rare occasions some could slip through.
He said they wouldn't exchange the phone because there wasn't a technical problem with it.
Mr Singh said there were no signs in the shop stating that the phones on sale were second hand and staff didn't tell buyers.
He said it was "obvious" because they weren't sold in boxes.
But John Field, Consumer Direct manager for Yorkshire and Humber, said there should have been a "bold and compelling sign" stating that goods for sale were second hand.
And he said displaying a sign stating "no refunds" was illegal.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
Papa Schlumpf
Manshoon

If this had happened in the US, this article would also make a mention of a six figure lawsuit.
Papa Schlumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Sigmar
Unicorn

Thats naaaaasty.
Sigmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

No technical problems with the phone, huh? Give me just a minute...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
Captain Obvious
Elminster

Penguin Bashing Champion Simon Champion Snakeman Champion
Who would sell their phone with those images on it? I mean, if i were to sell my computer, i would make damn sure there were no obscene images on it, especially obscene images of ME!
Old 08-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #6
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

...and the world thanks you for that... [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Having just had my phone replaced, I asked about how to do a hard reset (since I didn't remember). Sprint told me that every phone that is returned is wiped clean before it moves on to the next step.

In retrospect, I'm thinking I still should have pushed for the hard reset...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Me thinks it's a second hand phone, and the previous owner forgot to delete the image inside.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote