Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-23-2001, 01:37 PM   #21
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon:
It is NEVER EVER "nice" to see ANY military forces "in action" ... !

And in your post you have yourself given the answer why that is !

Sorry if that sounds harsh but that is something I feel very strongly about.

i meant it was nice that we're not sitting on our hands like we usually do, waiting for him to strike again. if we dont move now, how many more innocent people do you think will die? there were alreadh over 6k in the WTC attacks, and he also attacked the ebassy's in Africa, i dont remember how many people died there but im sure it was quite a few! if we dont strike now, who's to say how many more will die because of our inactivity?

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.

Follower of the mighty Fallen Paladin himself.

Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!

Admirer of the Lioness.

Head of the IronWorks Intelligence Division
Old 09-23-2001, 01:41 PM   #22
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

What a great copy of the photo in my morning paper, Zman. I like your caption a hell of a lot better, though!
may I *ahem* 'borrow' your concept?

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To

To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy. Nuke'm til the damn camels glow.
Old 09-23-2001, 01:46 PM   #23
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
This is very true. Kind of like a forced draft...join or die...much like our government's proclamation "You are either with us or you are with the terrorists"

But there is another side. Many of these Afgan males do wish to join the Taliban regime to save their way of life (they are not all as fanatical though)...the males in this society have absolute power...if that power is threatened, then I think it is an easy decision for them!

You are right about the other side of the coin. Many do want to join, not all of the refuges are women and children, the Northern Alliance is not made up of only women and children. I'll bet that many that are forced into service go AWOL when they get the chance.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"
Old 09-23-2001, 02:07 PM   #24
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Holy Cow!!!
I just read past Dan's post to everything else. I have to admit that I just do not understand those of you who do not want us to attack because there may lives of people not actively involved in orchestrating the sneak attack. Innocent children, women and men may die - they already have, as Moridin pointed out.
Here's a little factoid for digestion,those of you who wish to not do anything:
in just two of the hundreds of companies in the towers (saw this this morning on fox pregame nfl show, of all places) Boomer Esiason was a quarterback in the nfl, and has a child with a congenital birth defect, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, something that guarantees an early death at this point, and a painful life up to that point. He established a foundation to generate revenue for reseach into cures for this condition, knowing that his son will die before a cure can be found, realistically speaking. His offices were with the Cantor-Fitzgerald floors of the tower, ones that were directly struck by the plane in tower 1. The death toll was almost 100% (only employees not there survived) the over 700 people in JUST THOSE TWO COMPANIES left over 1200 fully or partially ORPHANED CHILDREN!!!! by my extrapolation, with over 6500 dead, from all over the world, means something like 12,000 (TWELVE THOUSAND) instant orphans and widows(ers) were created in over 80 countries world wide. So, how do you like them now? wanna natter at me, JD, Moridin, and others whose passion you just can't seem to grasp? I do not know, other than Tobbin, who else on the board has lost friends and family, but even if I had not, You would not see any less passion out of me, nor will you. Shame for hiding behind innocents - we have lost more than those jihad jerks in the last 20 years, hardly any of them even connected to the military.

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To

To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy. Nuke'm til the damn camels glow.
Old 09-23-2001, 03:36 PM   #25
tracey
Manshoon

that's very sad indeed. however, you seem perfectly happy to indulge a few more orphans in the world.

there is no absolute answer. however, retaliation does not even come close to helping the situation one iota. all it will do is aggravate the current crisis and add a few more corpses. cool your heels and use your logic circuits.
Old 09-23-2001, 03:54 PM   #26
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
that's very sad indeed. however, you seem perfectly happy to indulge a few more orphans in the world.

there is no absolute answer. however, retaliation does not even come close to helping the situation one iota. all it will do is aggravate the current crisis and add a few more corpses. cool your heels and use your logic circuits.

tracey!

Sounds like those of us who want peace, are the bad guys lately. No one ever said let it go, what I say is, get bin Laden, just try not remove Afghanistan from the map!

Mark
Old 09-23-2001, 03:57 PM   #27
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
One can hope innocents don't get harmed, but I DO know this is War, and it will no doubt happen.. I hope we get him, and break up his network of terrorists quickly...

Force won't get bin Laden, Ziroc. Don't even hope. All it will do is kill and maim thousands of people who have already suffered at the hands of Russia, the Taliban, et al, until they have NOTHING. Not even sufficient food for another month, and all the aid agencies pulling out. How CAN we attack those people? It is worse than shameful, imho. It's inhuman.
It is a brilliant photo, but I'm afraid it makes me feel very sick. Nothing personal.

------------------

Old 09-23-2001, 03:57 PM   #28
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:

We can not set back and let him strike again later. Too many have died already. To me that is logic. I agree with John D. We will not carpet bomb Afganistan. What would that do? My guess is the Northern Alliance is about to get a whole lot of help, including economic aid. We will provide training and leadership, close aerial support and anything else they need. We will shutdown the borders around Afganistan as best we can, take out the Taliban with their own people, and get Bin Laden in the end. We cannot go into Afganistan and occupy it. History has proven that. Ask the Russians. The Afgan government problem must be dealt with from within (with a little bit of help from us). This time, I hope we do things right and don't walk away from Afganistan after the fight is over, but stay and provide economic support and humanitarian aid. That's what we didn't do the first time.

War is tragic, but sometimes it is necessary.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

If they take my gun can I still use my Axe?
Old 09-23-2001, 04:00 PM   #29
skywalker
Banned User

Ergo, war > peace!

Mark
Old 09-23-2001, 04:05 PM   #30
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Skywalker, you suprise me! as do all of you out in the great cyber-ephrix! What part of targeted stikes and convert actions do you not understand? The USA WILL NOT carpet bomb cities or refuge camps to get at a single target, that only happens in movies to make the villain look even more evil. Any terrorist training camps in Afghanistan are located away from the population areas. Think about it what good is it to have hiding places in the mountains and caves (NOT IN TOWNS) and have you training camps in populated areas? What are they going to do get up at 4:00 am to walk how ever many miles to town to train all day then walk back to their caves at night, just to do it again the next day? These people are terrorist not IDIOTS they understand the concept of fatigue and secrecy. They hide in the shadows.
As for the Talliban they have buildings, infrastructure, and weapons in the field that can be targeted indivdualy, remember all the video from the gulf war of single tanks being hit.
John? Remember? 'love your enemies'. 'Vengeance is MINE, I will repay, saith the Lord'

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-23-2001).]