Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-07-2001, 02:57 AM   #1
Hojou
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm in underdark and just cleaned the MindFlayers thing, and i went to do the Beholders, but the first room i enter has 2 beholders zapping me to death - one by one - i tried casting minor spell reflection, spell protection, but it doesn't seem to work... i can't protect all my chars with spells either and even the ones i did still dropped. Sometimes they hit my mainchar when i enter and the battle(and game) is over in about 5 seconds.

What do i do? I read about equiping someone with the reflection cloak and i did - but i don't think it reflects much - besides that's just one char... the rest drops like flies...
Old 10-07-2001, 04:28 PM   #2
Vampire

Right this is very hard even for my lvl 29 party!
You have to have protection from petrification on all characters to be safe and add death ward to on the safe side.

------------------
Old 10-07-2001, 07:17 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Well, i got through this easy - gauths are the only beholders that give me serious problems for some reason. Im using ME,Minsc,Imoen,Jaheira,Aerie,Nalia. I split into two teams with one fighter in each, first the beholder dies and then the elder orb is facing six chars with cool magic items, and then it dies to. I was level 12-15. i think one char got stoned, but I just used flesh-to-stone and got her back. It was aerie I do believe. Maybe I just got lucky (hey it had to happen one day...) or maybe beholders get harder as you go up levels (old DM trick from my gaming group. nasty. kobolds with 100+ HP suk BTW)

Just dont even think about ignoring one of the beholders.
Old 10-08-2001, 04:49 AM   #4
Hojou
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks guys, for some reason this site appeared down till this morning so i had to try on my own before reading your posts. What i did was, i made a dash for the exit as soon as i entered - i had cast invisibility 10' radius, bless and chant (to boost my saving throws) and haste so i could run fast...

I made it past them and took out a couple groups of Gaunts etc. in the dungeon - i saw a mindflayer destroy a lot of Gaunts too but i stayed clear. I tried going back to handle the two beholders but i have no chance... they keep killing me brutally... They seem immune to my fireballs, stinking clouds etc. Oh well i'll try again later...
Old 10-08-2001, 05:41 AM   #5
Charlander
Dungeon Master

andrewas:
Quote:
Well, i got through this easy - gauths are the only beholders that give me serious problems for some reason.
I agree, Gauths are a pain in the arse.
I have 3 characters in my party who can cast the Magic Missile spell. Once I encountered the Elder Orb and the Beholder, I pause the game and set all my wizards to cast Magic Missiles at the Beholder. Then i use my two fighters (ME & MINSC) to kill the Elder Orb. I've got the "Daystar" sword (It kicks ass against evil alligned characters).

NB: Before I enter, I haste the entire party and cast Barskin on ME & MINSC.

That's how I managed to kill 'em...

------------------
...and he walked the earth for centuries, slaying creaturs of the underworld...

-Charlander
Old 10-08-2001, 07:48 AM   #6
Ugaya
Manshoon

Do you have the Cloak of Mirroring? The Cloak of Reflection only works against lightning spells and is useless vs. Beholders.
I killed Beholders and Gauths with combinations of Greater Malison, Web and lots of Cloud Kills. Actually I fill up whole sections with Cloud Kills and Webs. It works as long as my mages are protected by Spell Turning or Deflection.
Not very heroic but effective.
Elder Orbs with their devastating Imprisonment Spell are more or less immune to these spells. To get rid of them I use Horrid Wiltings and whatever missile weapon (physical or magical) I have, never come close to them unless you have scrolls of Freedom.
Old 10-08-2001, 08:25 AM   #7
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Shield of Balduran is great. Equip your fighter with this shield and watch!!

------------------
"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears.."

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan "Diamond Fighter of Aerie Lovers Sacred Band"
Old 10-08-2001, 08:58 AM   #8
waverider
Symbol of Cyric

or cloack of reflection the bolt they fire go back to sorce so he kills him self only there spells get trow so that bad luck i say

------------------
Platinum Wizard of ALSB
Wizard at The Court of Lady Lioness
Protector of All Whats good
Old 10-08-2001, 11:14 AM   #9
Hojou
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Where do i get the shield of balduran etc. i'm in the dungeon now....
Old 10-08-2001, 07:14 PM   #10
andrewas
Harper

Had to do those two again today - lost savegame etc. Still easy. Just have two ravening maniacs(me annd minsc) hasted and kick one each. The beholder was dead inside 2 rounds, the elder orb took a bit longer. If you want to get baldurans shield then its only available in the Adventurers Mart, in TOB with the latest patch, just talk to Deirdre in the back. The Cloak of Mirroring is in the underwater city and i missed it.

I dont usually bother with magic in small,quick battles like these - theres just not time to cause enough damage.

Um, if your not playing a fighter you might want to try hiding at the back. Cant really think of anything else, not having had any problems myself. sorry.