Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I need:

Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller

I can't get it from Microsoft 'cos I'm using Firefox. It says I need IE. Can someone direct me to another site where I can download this?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

You should still have IE on your system. Use that to do the download, and then return to FF when you're done.

Open IE and go to windowsupdate.com. Everything should run from there.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 11:23 AM   #3
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

You can possibly get it from the Microsoft Download Centre, but it will be much easier to fire up IE as Bungleau suggests.

If it's security you're worried about, there's no increased risk to your computer of navigating to the windows update site in IE.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
If it's security you're worried about, there's no increased risk to your computer of navigating to the windows update site in IE.
Whenever I even thouch IE I get atleast five new icons on my desktop.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I suggest you've already been compromised then [img]smile.gif[/img]

The risk can be divided into two categories:

1) The risk that malicious code on a website will be executed without your explicit permission - since Variol would only be going to the Windows Update site this would not be a concern.

2) The inherent insecurities caused by running Internet Explorer. These will always exist regardless of the programme you're browsing with as IE is effectively 'always on' because it's such an integral part of Windows. (Which is incidentally how you can get Internet Explorer spyware even if you never use it).

Beyond the inherent risk in Windows that exists regardless of what browser is actually being used to physically visit websites, navigating to Windows Update with IE will therefore not place you at a greater risk than you would otherwise be at.

[ 05-22-2006, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
Old 05-23-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
bjorn
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
That's what i figured, dosen't bother me that much though, I never use IE. Someone suggested that I could get rid of the problem by using hijack this, is that true?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I've never used it to be honest.
AdAware has always been my utility of choice to get rid of malicious software. Whilst I'm not personally up to date with these programmes as I haven't used Windows for a while, Ad-Aware still seems to get the job done with no fuss when I've used it on other computers.

It's probably worth giving it the once-over with a virus checker too - AVG or Avast are both decent free ones.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bjorn:
quote:
That's what i figured, dosen't bother me that much though, I never use IE. Someone suggested that I could get rid of the problem by using hijack this, is that true? [/QUOTE]HiJack This (HJT) is part of my toolset. It is, however, one of the last tools I pull out.

What I'd do is this:

1. On a separate machine, get current copies of Spybot S&D (www.safer-networking.org), Ad-Aware (www.lavasoft.de), and HJT (www.merijn.org). For kicks, pick up a firewall like ZoneAlarm (www.zonealarm.com) and anti-virus like AVG (www.grisoft.com). You may also need to grab the latest update files from some of them.

2. Burn those all to a CD and bring them over to your compromised machine.

3. Disconnect that machine from the internet and start installing software. Ad-Aware and Spybot are the first two I'd install. After one installs, run it through to completion. Once one is complete, do the next one. Clean up what it tells you, googling on another machine if you have to.

4. Next I'd install the anti-virus and run it.

5. Now, firewall and set it up.

6. You should be ready to get to the internet now for a final check. Reconnect and go to Trend Micro (www.trendmicro.com) for a full on-line scan. You'll need to do this in IE, as I recall... but go ahead. It's safe.

7. You should have a clean bill of health now, but run HJT to be sure. Google for the various executables and programs that it comes up with and check to see if they're malicious or not. I tend to trust castlecops and liutilities for the most part... other sites don't reassure me as much.

Now... after all that, it may still be compromised. You may need to turn off the system restore (done somewhere in properties for the computer), reboot into safe mode, repeat all seven steps, and *then* turn system restore back on. If you want, you can start out this way... no big deal.

After that... pop a brewski. It will be a long, long day.
-+-+-+
Old 05-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #9
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
After that... pop a brewski. It will be a long, long day.
I can almost feel your pain. Why do I get the feeling you've had to do this far too many times?! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

When you're the one everyone calls to take a look at their computer... you get to know the procedure. It's probably a sad commentary that every URL I listed in there was from memory, with a minor asterisk on AVG. I changed the URL from grisoft.de to grisoft.com... the other one works, but brings you to a German page first.

I'm considering offering this as a for-pay service to folks... it's definitely worth it.
-+-+-+