Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-23-2001, 05:55 PM   #1
Moni

It is not the intention of this thread to be anything more than a source for help in dealing with depression, a place where we can converse on the subject, and a place where we can share any sadness we may be experiencing and perhaps offer positive solutions to our fellow forum members.

Please also keep in mind that what works for one person may not work for another and as well-meaning as some of our positive suggestions may be, if someone says they have tried it and it did not work, don't push it. Thanks.

If you have a link to a site that deals with various methods of treating depression or links with emergency hotlines, etc. please feel free to post them here. Sometimes all it takes is the click of a button or the ability to call someone (even a stranger) who cares to save a life.

Please keep this thread free of flaming anyone for any reason and small talk that does not relate to the topic. For your cooperation in this regard, everyone here appreciates it and thanks you.

The following link is for anyone who wishes more insight into the disease, its symptoms and diagnosis, causes, treatments, and the role of family members in dealing with depression.

Psychiatry 24x7

Contributed by Moridin as well the following link deals with Psychotherapy vs Medication For Depression:

Challenging the Conventional Wisdom With Data

Love, Hugs & Peace,
Moni

------------------

Old 06-23-2001, 06:08 PM   #2
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
Wow Moni, Thanks alot for the link..

------------------

So if in the forest look behind you, because that where the ranger is going to be
Old 06-23-2001, 06:34 PM   #3
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

This is a link to the National Institute of Mental Health brochure giving a summary of the most up to date research on all kinds of treatment for Depression. The NIMH is an independant organisation in the United Kingdom; and is well respected and supported by psychaitrists, psychologists and psychotherapists alike (in other words doctors, and those offering talking treatments).

There is a bit of jargon in the brochure - but not too much and you should be able to understand most of it. If you need a "translation" please feel free to ask me.

http://alcoholism.about.com/health/a...y/blnimh04.htm

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-23-2001, 07:06 PM   #4
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

I also have a link that I have used extensively in my 'research' into depression. It is from the Mayo Clinic, one of the world's foremost teaching and research hospitals (and my dad works there so I have to plug it )

This is for the search page. Type 'depression' in and hit go!
http://www.mayoclinic.com/home?id=10.1

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

[This message has been edited by Moridin (edited 06-23-2001).]
Old 06-23-2001, 10:24 PM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

how can i treat my depression when it involes no vices and just my inner heart and mind..?

------------------

Yukishiro Tomoe
Old 06-24-2001, 11:29 AM   #6
Moni

Bahamut,

Do you know what it is that is making you so sad?
Once you figure that out, you can work on making the situation a happier one.

But, sometimes, like when our depression involves what we want of other people, if we talk to them about it and they are unwilling to find a compromise with us, there is nothing we can do but accept them for who they are and what they want to do with their own lives.
If that is the case, only time can make you feel better, but don't dwell on their choices and find other things to do so that you won't find yourself thinking about it all the time and remaining depressed over it.

*HUGS*
Moni

------------------

Old 06-24-2001, 11:35 AM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

well... hmmm.. it seems rather a hard one.

I have been happy recently, but even if you know the problem, the feeling of helplessness really overwhelms you.. it does...

------------------

Yukishiro Tomoe
Old 06-24-2001, 11:43 AM   #8
Moni

*HUGS* My friend.
I hope the situation can work itself out in a way that can make everyone involved happy.
I am not sure I know the details but I understand the feeling of helplessness.
It can be overwhelming, yes.

I still feel helpless where my family members are involved. I can't even think about them without feeling hurt that as old as they are, they still treat me terribly because as long as they do, they have our mother's "love". She moved in with my older brother right after our dad died and he has become such a cruel person that I can't even talk to him anymore. I miss him terribly, but there is nothing I can do but find other things to think about and wish him happiness before he is gone from the earth.

*More Hugs*
*Some More Hugs*

Moni

------------------

Old 06-24-2001, 01:19 PM   #9
kiwidoc
Zhentarim Guard

Bahamut - I cant tell you how you can deal with your depression wothout knowing far, far more about it than would be appropriate for you too post on an open forum.

If you really would like my advice email me. jude@judyhope.co.uk

I am a psychiatrist and as part of my training I hav elearned psychotherappy as well, so I know aobut both talking treatments and physical ones like medication. I CANT treat you but I can help you decide where to go for help if that is what you want. There is absolutely no pressure on you to come to me for advice - no way will I be offended if you don't.

------------------
There is only one kiwidoc, accept no substitutes

STANDARD OPERATING PROCEEDURE
www.judyhope.co.uk
Old 06-24-2001, 03:02 PM   #10
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Let's make our posts in this thread in the spirit of how Moni intended it to be, and I'll be very happy.

No need to reply to my comment!

------------------