Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 11-03-2002, 02:53 PM   #81
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

thanks for posting Lady G, you posted PART of this I think before, last page, near the bottom, the first paragraph I think. Still thanks for posting still .
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2002, 03:07 PM   #82
Kaltia
Jack Burton

I see my boyfriend got there first
As good as always, galadria [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Kaltia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 02:40 PM   #83
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
LOL, no <font color=lavender>Galadria</font> made her up, along with Gaetan, whom you will be hearing of shortly.
Gaetan will be happy once you have found his axe (obscure Darkstone reference )

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 06:46 PM   #84
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Sorry, the e-mail fiasco rattled me. Mouse, is that where I got it? Unconsciously, perhaps? Some more:

In the top room of a lonely tower just on the edge of the Sea of Swords, a strange device belled loudly. It looked like a cross between a looking glass and an hourglass, and it was saying, loudly, "Snurrl, Snurrl, Snurrl." Footsteps were heard on the stair leading into the many-windowed room. A small, neat man clad all in grey entered the room. His face was so ordinary that anyone but a professional law enforcer would have trouble remembering it, and his eyes and hair matched his clothes. With a gesture, he silenced the device. In a second, it spoke again, in a lower tone.
"Snurrl, your name was uttered on the Planes. In an inquiry."
"Someone seeks me?" the man replied, mildly interested. "I hope it isn't those blasted priests again. I made restitution long ago."
"No," the device said, "it was about your daughter."
Snurrl's eyebrows came together. "My daughter? Are they seeking her, too?"
"No," the glass buzzed, "it was your daughter inquiring after you. She was told where you reside."
A wintry smile came to the man's lips. It did not, however, reach to his eyes. "My daughter. After all of these years. Is she coming here? Shall I prepare a reception?"
"I have no information on that point. The inquirer was a mage named Galadria Godspawn. Where in Faerun she resides, I cannot tell."
The man pursed his lips. "It seems to me that I have heard that name. In Baldur's Gate, I think. Well, I simply must have my daughter. I have her room all prepared. I will go to Baldur's Gate at once. The time grows short." He abruptly left the room to make his preparations.

On a day not many weeks afterwards, a knock sounded at the front door of the House of the Dome. Rantis, the porter, answered and saw a stranger, a small, wiry man clad all in grey, down to his hair, eyes, and eyebrows. "Good afternoon," the man said pleasantly, "is this the house of the mage Galadria? I hope that it is, for I have sought it from afar."
Rantis looked at him askance. It was his job to be suspicious of strangers, and something about the man's neat little hands made him leery. "This is indeed her ladyship's house," he responded, "but she does not see casual callers. If you will give me a name, I will go and ask her."
"Ah," the man responded sympathetically, "careful, is she? And quite right, too. Yes, you may have my name. It is Snurll." He puffed his chest out a little, as if certain that this would provoke a reaction. He was to be disappointed, however, for Rantis was not a native of Baldur's Gate, and the name of the once-famous thief meant nothing to him.
"Wait here, then, Master Snurrl, " he replied formally, "I will ask my lady, and return with her answer." The door closed in Snurll's face, and he was left fuming on the porch. Normall, Rantis would have put visitors in the guarded front room, but he did not trust this one even that far.
Galadria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 06:18 AM   #85
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

hmm. I dont like Snurrl. lol, It almost sounds like hes gonna use his daughter in some perverse ritual. Or something. :| hmm. ah, well, thanks for posting . Still gets better
Old 11-05-2002, 08:32 AM   #86
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Perceptive, CD! You are supposed to hate Snurll. <font color=lavender>Galadria</font> got him from Lord Dunsany, whom you really should read, if you haven't. yet.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 08:45 AM   #87
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Nope, I havent read him. lol, I dislike that theif already. Something about the way Lady G described the eyes. He sounds like a bastard, apart from the fact he doesnt care about his daughter, whom I happen to like as a character...
Old 11-05-2002, 08:59 AM   #88
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

CD, when you get a moment, read Lord Dunsany. "How One came, As Was Foretold, to the City of Never" is my favorite short story title of all time. He was brilliant. The Book of Wonder is a great place to start.

Galadria was, as usual, hard at work in her study. It was a big room, lined with shelves crammed with books, obscure devices, and curiosities. In one corner stood a iron cage, just not big enough for a person to stand upright in. Any use in confining prisoners, however, had been negated long ago by the fact that the lock of the door had been blown away. A sensitive visitor might notice the distant echoes of the fury and rage of the magic that had done it. In most places, it would probably have been rusty and odorous, the floor covered with straw and other doubtful substances, but here, the metal was shining with oil and clean, like everything else in the study.
In the center of the room was a desk with various papers and objects on it. A huge, ancient book was propped open before her, and she was writing furiously onto a vellum scroll. Rantis, as he came in, was careful not to look directly at either. He had heard strange stories of wizards' books and scrolls. He cleared his throat, for Galadria was notorious asmong the servants for being difficult to distract when she was working.
At the noise, she stopped writing and glanced at him with a slightly annoyed look, which Rantis bore stoically. "You have a visitor, my Lady," he said without expresion. Galadria was also known for hating visitors. "He says that he has journeyed from foriegn lands to see you. He says, too, that his name is Snurll."
The dark mage frowned a little at that. She had been practising magic for too long to believe in coincidences. Her mind raced over the recent course of events. Somehow, the man had learned that she was making inquiries about him. How was immaterial for now, though she would certainly attempt to find out later. She also had to assume that he had found out about Sefa being his long-lost daughter. In view of the young woman's insistence that she not be put in contact with her father, she could not just reveal the fact. Very well, she thought, I will just see what he is about. Thief, he is certainly, but apparently a bit of a magician, as well. That was worth bearing in mind.
"Where is he, Rantis?" she asked mildly.
"Why, I left him on the stoop, my lady," the porter answered rather defensively.
Curious, she inquired further. "And why did you not put him in the front room, Rantis? It is secure, and, after all, the man is a visitor."
All poor Rantis could answer was to mumble something about not trusting the little sneak as far as he could throw him. This piqued her further, but she merely told her porter to put Snurrl in the room as mentioned. He shuffled off. Galadria took a quick look in a mirror, frowned at her hair, then shrugged. What did it matter, after all, what the man though of her? She straightened her robes, and, after a while, went through the door to the front room.
There she found the small gray man. He rose as she entered the room and attempted a gracious smile, but she detected a slight glint of malice. Galadria marveled at how such an obvious thief could have succeeded so well.. She didn't consider that thieves like Snurll succeed by not being noticed, and in the full light look badly out of place. Like rats. Noemi could have told her of this.
"Snurll, is it?" she asked politely, "The famous thief? You honor my house. What may I help you with, Master?"
Snurrl bowed. "The honor is mine, Lady Galadria," he said. "The whole realm rings with your name, your victories over demons and the drow. May I dare to ask such a powerful mage as yourself for a boon?"
A small 'v' appeared between Galadria's eyebrows. She was far too serious to be susceptible to flattery, especially from such a doubtful source as this. "State your boon, sir," she replied crisply, "but do not feel that I shall be granting it merely by you uttering it. And do be quick about it, I have many tasks that call me."
Snurll bowed again. "I weep to disturb the tasks of such a one as yourself, my lady. But, word has come to me that you hold the person of someone that I hold dear, that is, my only daughter, child of my untimely deceased love Marissa." Here a very strange look came into the thief's eyes, duly noted by his hostess. "This may be unknown to you, my dear Lady Galadria. She would be a lass of about twenty, now, perhaps a slave or a servant of yours. If this is the case, I would be happy to buy her."
Galadria sat in a chair, motioning Snurll to do the same. After considering, she answered slowly, "I do not own any slaves. I do have an apprentice, whom I thought to be an orphan girl named Sefa, whom I rescued off of the streets. She is bound to me, now, and not for sale at any price. I will reveal to you that she knows you are her father, though she does not know you or has not even seen you. Also, she has told me that she does not wish to leave my service. Her will in this is final to me, and the matter is not open to discussion." She rose as if to go, but the man knelt at her feet.
"Stay, Lady Galadria," he begged, "a woman as wise as you knows that the matter is not one that warrants casual dismissal. My only child, and the only child of my love. Do I not deserve to meet her at the least, and feast my eyes on my own blood?" Here, another unreadable look came and went across the pale face.
Galadria was torn. She was too kindly to simply throw her apprentice's father out, but there were Sefa's feelings to consider, also. Also, there was something repellent to her about the man. She was determined not to be rushed. "I shall make this one concession to you, Master Snurll. I shall speak to Sefa and ask her what she wishes to meet with you or not. There are others of my household that I want to talk it over with, also. Return here in three days time, and I shall have an answer for you, and then you must accept it. I will do no more."
Snurll arose, an expression of triumph on his face. "I shall do so, Lady Galadria," he answered smoothly, " and I beg of you, be my ambassador and persuade her to see me. Think how it would be if it were your child. Do you have one?"
"That is my affair," Galadria answered flatly. "My one concern in this is Sefa's peace of mind. Go, then, Master Snurll, and return in three days." She swept out of the room. A few seconds later, Rantis appeared to show Snurll out, looking him over suspiciously to make sure he hadn't stolen anything.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:07 AM   #89
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

bah, your right Att, I dont like that theif. I wouldnt be surprised if he picked Gal's pocket. And/or found half or all the traps in that room. Wonder if he noticed the Gollum. heh, he'll prob try to take Sefa if he wants her that badly. Seemed a sham tho. Nice posting btw. Thanks
Old 11-05-2002, 06:29 PM   #90
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

That evening, Galadria called a meeting before dinner. As usual, she sat in her carven chair at the great round table, but she set Sefa opposite her, where Noemi usually sat. Noemi, who knew something of what was going on, sat down next to her sister, and Chorania and Attalus found themselves places.
"Sefa," Galadria began rather formally, "I want to tell you that your father was here, today."
"Here?" Sefa gasped, "How did he find me? What does he want?" In her confusion, she did not even remember Snurll's name.
"That," her mistress replied, "I do not know and shall certainly try to find out. But, before I proceed, I want to know your views. You are my apprentice, certainly, but how you feel matters a great deal to me. So, what do you want me to do? Do not answer quickly, but think it out, and decide how you truly feel."
Sefa sat awhile, conscious of all their eyes. Finally, she answered. "I do not know, my lady. I suppose that I am curious about him, how he looks, how he acts, and I am certain that I have questions for him. But, I have not changed my mind, I would not want to leave here for anything."
Galadria's eyes went to Noemi, who shrugged. "I dunno, Gal," she said, "What harm could it do for her to meet him? And ask her those questions that she wants to? I'd like to meet my mother, if she were still alive."
"If Sefa wants to meet with this thief," Chorania's violet eyes sparked., "let her. But, I can understand her reluctance. I would not see my mother or any of my sisters again for all the jewels of the Tethyr. Some things are best left undisturbed."
Attalus responded to his wife's look. "I don't know, Cho," he slowly said, "If one of your sisters or, Helm forfend, your mother, were to show up at our front door, wouldn't you be curious? At least enough to find out their intent? I can't see you sulking in the chapel while Galadria interviewed one of your kin. Sulking, in my experience, is seldom a wise course. Finding out every last scrap of information about possible foes, is."
"Attalus, I never sulk," Chorania snapped in response. "The situations are not comparable at all. My mother," she pretended to spit, "and my sisters are drow. For them to leave the Underdark would be extraordinary, and you know it. Not so this sneak who is free to come and go as he pleases. I do not trust thieves, or anyone to whom their daughter is less important than some speck of reputation or loot. Like my mother and sisters." She glared down her finely-shaped nose at the knight, who looked repentant.
"Cho, I said that I couldn't see you doing it," he replied mildly. "All I am saying is that we might find out something about this man, and I do not see how we would be giving up some advantage. I mean, if he wanted to see what Sefa looked like, all he would have to do is watch this house, you know how she comes and goes. If Sefa actively hated him, then I would say, why put her through it? But, she seems more curious than anything else, correct, Sefa?" He shifted his gaze to the girl.
"Yes, Lord Attalus," she slowly replied, "I do confess that I am curious. My main fear is that he would somehow force me to come with him, like by putting a spell on me. But if my Mistress were there, I do not think that he would dare."
Pleased, Galadria added, "And with Cho to ward you, I do not think that we would fear that. I really do not think that he is such a great wizard, I did not detect that much power in him. I suspect that what power he has is tied to some artifact, some ancient thing that he somehow acquired, that gives him access to the higher magics. But, we shall see. At any rate, Sefa, do not worry about that. I will tell you now that I shall not permit you to leave with him, even if you seem willing. For," she added with a smile, "you are after all my apprentice, owing me several years more work, and I shall not let him buy you off. Is that sufficient?"
"Indeed, yes, Mistress," Sefa replied gratefully. "That removes the only reservation that I had. I will meet with him, if you and Lady Chorania are there to protect me."
"Protect you, indeed," Chorania cried as she reached over to ruffle Sefa's hair. "You are supposed to be turning into a fearsome mage in your own right, young mistress. I find this timidity strange, so unlike your usual self. If you want to confront your sire, do it with your spine stiff. I shall use you as an example and think of some things to say to my mother, were she and I to meet again, which Helm prevent."
"Hey, Cho," Noemi chirped, "let me ask some of them. I've always wanted to talk to your mother."
"M'zint to," Chorania answered grimly, "little joy would you have of the meeting, I assure you."
Galadria laughed. "When you think of those things, Cho, tell me, and we will see if we can come up with answers to them. Well, I suppose this is settled. The man will be back in three days, and I will set up an," she coughed, "interview."

[ 11-05-2002, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Galadria ]