Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2003, 04:20 PM   #31
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Howling for more help.....

I have found someone with the EXACT problem I have.

http://zurich.ai.mit.edu/hypermail/t...2-02/0222.html
http://zurich.ai.mit.edu/hypermail/t...2-02/0234.html

Their computer is an IBM, but the KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR is the same error I get, and it happens in the same fashion.

If anyone knows what can be done about this, please help. It doesn't appear to be a hardware problem, so my extended warranty won't be worth the paper it's printed on. (Edited upon further information.)

Continued thanks to all.

[ 04-10-2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 04-10-2003, 04:33 PM   #32
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Further update: technician could not do anything. He won't open the computer up and go looking for the hard drive to test physically because he doesn't want to void my warranty.

IMPORTANT(?): BIOS does NOT recognize the HDD.

I think I'm to the "Call the Company and Send It In" part of my adventure.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:46 PM   #33
andrewas
Harper

BIOS not recognising the HDD is important for sure. It means your machine cant see the hard drive at all, at any level. Therefore, you cant find your OS.

You could check the machine for physical damage - bent terminals at the back of the IDE bay, broken terminals, whatever. But its not likely youll find anything. In short, if after removing the HDD, checking for obvious damage and cleaning accessible terminals it still dosent work, send it in.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:22 PM   #34
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

The first of those two links contained someone's method for getting the machine to work again. Have you tried that, before sending it in?

Second, your technician wouldn't open it up because he was afraid of voiding the warranty? Last I recall, hard drives on most laptops are designed for easy in/out -- removing a screw is about all you have to do. A quick visual check should not void the warranty IMNSHO. The days of "open your computer and void the warranty" are long gone, with memory upgrades and the like being common. Now, opening and shuffling your feet on the shag carpet before touching the motherboard is a problem...

What I would work toward is a friendly support tech who can help champion me through the process of getting whatever it is fixed. It can be done, if you get to the right person. In any case, opening a support call with IBM to get this documented and rolling is critical.

Good luck.

*B*
Minister, etc. (ret.)

[ 04-10-2003, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
Old 04-10-2003, 05:29 PM   #35
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Tech advice. Make sure the BIOS is seeing the HDD after you get the error message on reboot. A failing disk controller (on the disk) will act this way. Loose cables or bad connectors also. Many laptops seem to use a special ribbon "tape" type cable for IDE and floppy connections. It's a punched plastic sheet with circuit traces running through it much like the plastic sheets found in keyboards. Although very flat, this stuff is somewhat fragile and has special connectors that can come loose. I had a laptop do just the same thing with a floppy drive. The little mechanism that kept the tape cable pinned in the connector came loose on one side providing a very finicky connection. This problem is almost definitely hardware related, and someone is going to have to "open her up" to fix it.

[ 04-10-2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Sir Kenyth ]
Old 04-10-2003, 08:11 PM   #36
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

On your advice Sir Kenyth, I popped it open and took a looksee at the guts. Everything appeared in order. The HDD on this machine is nailed down TIGHT, as are the cables. Not enough room for a flea inside this thing. However, I'll have tech support check the HDD tomorrow.

Yes, I obtained permission from the warranty folks first. And yes, they are sending me a box to return it to them in. I will be Sans-Amn for 10 days or so, and I will be reinstalling a metric f-load of programs.

Last rites for the HDD have already been given.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:58 PM   #37
realbinky
Elminster

TL, in any case, I have sent a CD of Windows XP (actually 2 to be safe) today, via priority US Mail. It should be there in 2-3 business days, not that you need it now. Here is a hint: Since the drive is flaky, take it out and drop it on the carpeted floor a few times, or whack it FLAT on your desk to MAKE SURE the thing fails and you get a new one. Make no marks no matter what you do. If they find no problem the first time they boot, you're getting the original back.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:23 PM   #38
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
On your advice Sir Kenyth, I popped it open and took a looksee at the guts. Everything appeared in order. The HDD on this machine is nailed down TIGHT, as are the cables. Not enough room for a flea inside this thing. However, I'll have tech support check the HDD tomorrow.

Yes, I obtained permission from the warranty folks first. And yes, they are sending me a box to return it to them in. I will be Sans-Amn for 10 days or so, and I will be reinstalling a metric f-load of programs.

Last rites for the HDD have already been given.
Metric f-load.... I like that [img]smile.gif[/img] May I use it?

Old 04-11-2003, 03:01 PM   #39
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Just don't confuse the metric f-load with a standard f-load, because they aren't the same. The metric f-load is bigger.

[ 04-11-2003, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 04-11-2003, 03:08 PM   #40
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by realbinky:
TL, in any case, I have sent a CD of Windows XP (actually 2 to be safe) today, via priority US Mail. It should be there in 2-3 business days, not that you need it now. Here is a hint: Since the drive is flaky, take it out and drop it on the carpeted floor a few times, or whack it FLAT on your desk to MAKE SURE the thing fails and you get a new one. Make no marks no matter what you do. If they find no problem the first time they boot, you're getting the original back.
Those things are rated for 75Gs. Its safe to say you cant hit it that hard. And certainly not without marking it. Safer to generate about 20'000V of static and discharge it across the data terminals. Or better yet, straight to the drive electronics, if you can get to them. Laptop HDDs are shielded quite well though, not much in the way of exposed circuitry.