Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-09-2001, 01:15 PM   #101
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Kaz now that you work here how a bout a cup of coffe cream & sugar and
congrats on the job
Now are all the mistakes in my sig gone?? I'm a tarable speller and english is my only language

------------------

Many blades cut despite if they are made from mettle or wood, but the sharpest and deadlist blade it the one of knowledge.
Old 09-09-2001, 01:18 PM   #102
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Awwww... I'm getting warmandfuzzy feeling! GROUP HUG! (I know, that's Melusine's job, but she's not here right now! )

Sorry I wasn't around earlier but I was up pretty late and slept in today.

I'm trying to generate a character for a free form D&D campaign, 3rd ed . I've never played anything but computer rpg's (BG1, BG2 and IWD) so I'm not even sure what the heck I'm doing but the dm says I'll be ok...soooooooooo any ideas? We can be 4th level and I've been advised to avoid straight mage as it might be difficult for me to manage first time out. I'm quite used to bards (and to a lesser extent, Clerics) in my crpgs so was thinking of doing that. Would multiclass but I wonder if THAT is too much for a first campaign? Any suggestions? Advice?

Ahhh.. I just love the sun coming in the windows and all my friends hanging out here... lovely, lovely day!

Cloudy

Hmm. Though Multiclass is easier in 3rd edition then it was in 2nd, I'd still recommend you leave off it for your first character. It's good fun, but can get a little icky in terms of rule complexity.

When I'm creating a character I always try and see what everyone else in the group is going to be first, so that my character fits in and has his or her own niche within the group. Have you any idea what sort of classes the other players are? If not, it's no big deal. It doesn't really matter if it's going to be a more roleplay orientated game (which I prefer) rather then a dice and damage fest.

The Bard is a good class. You get a lot of skills which are useful, a few magical spells (though not so many you're falling over yourself trying to remember what's what) and you can swing a sword if need be. Plus you get the neat bardic music abilities. The Bard has often been called the 'roleplayer's class'.

A Cleric's okay. Your Cleric's focus will depend largely on what Deity he or she worships. They don't have that many skills, but are good in combat and have very useful spells. You just have to put up with the Fighters screaming: "Heal me!" every five minutes .

Of course, if it was me, I'd tell you to be a Paladin, but I realise they're not everybody's cup of tea.

Don't worry. The rules system for 3rd edition is a lot smoother and easier to pick up then it looks at first.

Good luck with your character, whatever you choose, and keep us posted on what happens. I'd be very interested to read about other D&D games out there.

Have fun!

------------------

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."

[This message has been edited by Sharpedge (edited 09-09-2001).]
Old 09-09-2001, 01:20 PM   #103
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Coffee coming right up! *Kazara runs into the kitchen muttering now where was the coffee again*
It's deadliest, not deadlist, and replace it with is in the second sentence. Apart from that everything's all right, I think.
Ah! Found it! Here's your coffee!

------------------

Kazara

Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-09-2001, 01:20 PM   #104
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

maaan, why did my relatives have to choose this time of year to visit! we had to change around the sleeping arrangements, meaning that i lost my big, comfy bed! i had to sleep on the floor of my computer room (ive done it before) but i couldnt get on the computer cause my mom, who was sleeping in my bed this time, made me turn it off! ohh man, my back hurts... *begins to turn around crack CRACK!!!* ooohhhh...

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.

Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Old 09-09-2001, 01:24 PM   #105
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Blade:

Now are all the mistakes in my sig gone?? I'm a tarable speller and english is my only language

I think you mean metal, instead of mettle, right? Other then that, it's great.

P.S. Don't worry, I'm a terrible speller too, so I cheat and write my posts in Word, and then paste them into the reply box.

------------------

Old 09-09-2001, 01:26 PM   #106
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
maaan, why did my relatives have to choose this time of year to visit! we had to change around the sleeping arrangements, meaning that i lost my big, comfy bed! i had to sleep on the floor of my computer room (ive done it before) but i couldnt get on the computer cause my mom, who was sleeping in my bed this time, made me turn it off! ohh man, my back hurts... *begins to turn around crack CRACK!!!* ooohhhh...
Hello Sephiroth! Sorry to here that . Would you like something to drink? Tea? Coffee? Cocoa?

------------------

Kazara

Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-09-2001, 01:30 PM   #107
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Actually, thinking about it, it would make more sense gramatically, if it read as follows:

Quote:
All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade, is the one of knowledge.
But perhaps I've changed it a bit too much there...

------------------

Old 09-09-2001, 01:32 PM   #108
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i think ill take a coke, with some liquid muscle relaxers mixed in...

------------------
It's simple. Once the Planet is hurt, it gathers Spirit Energy to heal the injury. The amount of energy gathered depends on the size of the injury...What would happen if there was an injury that threatened the very life of the Planet? Think how much energy would be gathered! Ha, ha, ha. And at the center of that injury, wil be me. All that boundless energy will be mine. By merging with the energy of the Planet, I will be come a new life form, a new existence. Melding with the Planet, I will cease to exist as I am now. Only to be reborn as a 'God' to rule over every living soul.

Super Sephiroth, slayer of the Uber Fluffy, and battle co-ordionator and defender of the HADB clan.

Diplomacy is all and well, but HADB is better!
Old 09-09-2001, 01:38 PM   #109
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharpedge:
Actually, thinking about it, it would make more sense gramatically, if it read as follows:

But perhaps I've changed it a bit too much there...

Not at all Sharpedge and thanks all on the help i'm tarable when it comes to spelling and grammer that is what spellcheck is for though

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade, is the one of knowledge.
Old 09-09-2001, 01:38 PM   #110
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh Seph! I sure know about re-arranging the sleeping set up for family when they visit! Makes me wish I had a guest cottage on the property sometimes! Hope your back is ok today!

Sharpedge! Thanks! I was going to be a Bard in another free-form (on a msg board) game and was thinking the Cleric would be a different and interesting change. But I DO like those bards!

Yes, the game is mostly rp oriented. The DM has said so, and he's not going to go strictly by the rolls, but by his own feel of things. Since I don't know exactly what I'm doing, it could be interesting! LOL I think the main idea is that the realm is under siege (of course) and the chief wizard who has gems we need for saving ourselves (of course) is missing (ta da!)

Not sure what the other classes will be, we are posting them to the registration thread there so I may pop off and see if anyone else has done that.

Cloudy

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
Raven's Cloud
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."