Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2002, 06:58 AM   #1
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Anybody got a good strategy how to fight monsters and eeevil people? My favourite one is hit and run. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I show myself, and then go away quickly. I just let them cast spells and exhaust themselves, them come back and beat them up. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2002, 10:11 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I always have my thief or ranger scout ahead, and if he/she encounters baddies, I have my party take strategic positions just outside the enemy's line of sight. Then I cast all defensive/buffing/summoning spell I deem necessary and rush in with everything I've got, engaging enemy warriors in melee with my own warriors and concentrating my spells and missile weapons on enemy spellcasters to disrupt their casting. Nine out of ten times, I'm able to completely obliterate the poor baddies without losing more then 10 HPs from all my characters.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 01:44 PM   #3
Lavindathar
Harper

I usually have 2 ranged attackers, 4 melee, with mages in the middle resorting to melee.

Cast your defensive spells, I prefer Chant, get your ranged attackers to attack, get your Mages to cast what spells you want, and get your melee fighters to attack close up. When your spells are done, get the Mages to attack behind the front line.
Old 01-07-2002, 03:11 PM   #4
Richard BrightBlade
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Ranged attacks always work well, If you have 4 or 5 bowmen shooting at once you can pick off all but the toughest of monsters before they hit you.

If you use a summon, monster/Animal spell, scroll, and or wand or just a raise dead spell you can slow monsters from reaching you and you can pick them off.

If you are attacking a mage always have a bow trained on him, if he is hit before his spell is cast it fails and is usless, I like to have one character with arrows of dispelling and throwing axes. I use the throwing axes (or just melee weapons) on the lesser creatures and keep on ruining spell with the arrows (i use this tactic only in areas i know spellcasters are about,and i don't waste arrows, those dispelling ones are expensive)
Old 02-04-2002, 05:31 AM   #5
xilt
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i agree with all posted above and add: i also like to use dire charm / mental domination spells if the group consists of >4 enemies. i target these spells mostly on enemies with ranged attack. when the fight is over, i wait until the charm spell disapears and then finish it all.
xilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 11:56 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

In BG1, a Ranged Attack party with 1 Tank is a surefire winner in almost every fight. My strongest party:
Guy with Bow (Coran)
Guy with Bow (Kivan)
Great big invincible guy with sword (Me)
Girl with Bow (Imoen)
Guy with Sling (Canderous)
Guy with Bow (Minsc)
Old 02-11-2002, 03:40 PM   #7
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
In BG1, a Ranged Attack party with 1 Tank is a surefire winner in almost every fight. My strongest party:
Guy with Bow (Coran)
Guy with Bow (Kivan)
Great big invincible guy with sword (Me)
Girl with Bow (Imoen)
Guy with Sling (Canderous)
Guy with Bow (Minsc)

Canderous?? who he?

Agree with the tactic, though I prefer a 4/2 split between melee and missile.
antonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 06:41 PM   #8
Lavindathar
Harper

quote:
Originally posted by antonius:
[QB]

Canderous?? who he?
QB]

Yeah, I have Canderous!!! He's so cool, he has a head like a dragon, and huge claws, he can breathe fire too, and he carries this really cool sling!!

BTW, which one is he again??