Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2001, 02:56 PM   #31
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
It would be NICE just once in a while to get the OFFER anyway.
Typicaly Canada has been the only country to really give us any aid or assistance, they help us fight fires all the time. I think most of the remarks about no help offered are directed more at the countries who constantly and repeatedly thoughout history have had aid from the USA but who never even offer support in times of crisis.

This sentiment strikes me as being similar to a healthy, wealthy person complaining that even though he occasionally lends a hand to a poor wheelchair bound cripple, that the latter never returns the favor.
Old 09-14-2001, 03:04 PM   #32
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Yes, perhaps he might have been getting that idea from that mini-rant. Too bad it happens to be full of half-truths and misinformation, like the idea that Americans are never helped by other countries. Hell, without massive aid from France in the Revolutionary War, America would never even have succeeded in becoming an independent country in the first place. We owe our very existence as a country to foreign aid.

A debt of honor to General Lafayette. Hmm, haven't thought about that in a while Diogenes. Curse of the modern world, there: forgetting our history in the face of the daily hurly-burly.
One thing seems to be generally missed in this thread; "From each according to their abilities to each according to their needs" In most cases, America is better able to offer assistance and rarely in need of it. We have had many offers of aid in the current crisis which some of my countrymen would apparently rather ignore in order to further their point. Just what their point IS, I have no idea, but I hope it is made soon and to their satisfaction so that we may be able to move beyond yet another source of division in this time of trouble.

Old 09-14-2001, 03:35 PM   #33
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
A debt of honor to General Lafayette. Hmm, haven't thought about that in a while Diogenes. Curse of the modern world, there: forgetting our history in the face of the daily hurly-burly.
One thing seems to be generally missed in this thread; "From each according to their abilities to each according to their needs" In most cases, America is better able to offer assistance and rarely in need of it. We have had many offers of aid in the current crisis which some of my countrymen would apparently rather ignore in order to further their point. Just what their point IS, I have no idea, but I hope it is made soon and to their satisfaction so that we may be able to move beyond yet another source of division in this time of trouble.

I just posted a link to an older opinion from Gordon Sinclair. I said it had no bearing on current events, just that it seemed to connect with the subject of this thread. Don't paint me as being ungrateful for help from other countries. I never wrote that. I just remember that it would bring a tear to my eye when this document WAS current. I'm not ungrateful!!!!

Mark

Old 09-14-2001, 03:49 PM   #34
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
exactly, (i just didnt want to sound like a snot )
there are americans in other states that would like to help.
but there just isnt room. the damage is in a rather confined space you know.
people are giving so much blood that they are turned away and told to come back later.

The reason we go help in these kinds of situations so very often is because many countries dont have the means to deal with a disaster on their own.
We, having so many resources to draw from, should feel obligated to do what we can to help.
We certainly need it. Speaking as a citizen of the US and a resident of the state of NY, I must say that I have NEVER seen so many people leap up and willingly rush to help in every way imagineable, not since the Oklahoma bombings has my little corner of the world been so galvanized and I'd say this is dozens of times stronger.

This morning I heard my local radio announcers talking about their efforts to help. They were handing out window, car and lawn flags to folk who came by and taking donations for the Red Cross, as well as advertising that a local building supply company had a truck there that is going to take goods to NYC They were urging us to stop in and drop off toothpaste, gum, dust masks, socks and non-perishables.

I was literally on my way out the door, hair still wet, but I grabbed a new tube of toothpaste from my cabinet and stopped in to drop it off, leave a cash donation and pick up my flags. The place was FULL of people at 7:45 am! There was a policeman directing traffic, it was so busy! The generosity and determination to make it right again, to fix the worst and deal with the hurts, is strong and palpable everywhere I look. Busloads of students and faculty headed to the city from my school to help. I'm tired, proud, sad and I for one, appreciate ALL offers from abroad, material or good wishes and sympathy.

And FYI, it wasn't ONLY Amerians who died in the WTC. I only caught a brief glimpse of the numbers but CNN was showing that other nationals were there too, Korean, Australian, German, Japanese..etc. This really IS an international tragedy and atrocity against humanity.

Cloudy

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 09-14-2001).]
Old 09-14-2001, 03:51 PM   #35
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

And FYI, it wasn't ONLY Amerians who died in the WTC. I only caught a brief glimpse of the numbers but CNN was showing that other nationals were there too, Korean, Australian, German, Japanese..etc. This really IS an international tragedy and attrocity against humanity.

Cloudy
Hear hear

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 09-14-2001, 03:54 PM   #36
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
I just posted a link to an older opinion from Gordon Sinclair. I said it had no bearing on current events, just that it seemed to connect with the subject of this thread. Don't paint me as being ungrateful for help from other countries. I never wrote that. I just remember that it would bring a tear to my eye when this document WAS current. I'm not ungrateful!!!!

Mark

Actually, Mark I wasn't writing in response to that article, but to the original post in this thread, and to some of the comments made since which state in part that the US never gets any help from other nations. People were making broad statements that are simply wrong. I should probably have gone back and quoted them, but I have no clue how to create quotes from multiple posts.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Old 09-14-2001, 03:56 PM   #37
Lord Shield

Quote:
Originally posted by Nostron:
Why is it that every time the US gets in some catastrohe nobody help them. The SF earthquake, the Atlanta bombing, those railroad tracks that got derailed. I mean when other country experiences some type of catastrohe were their to help. But instead of getting a "Thank You" other countries say that were interfering and that it's not any of our business.

Even with that incidents in New York... i dont' see any countries physically sending aide to us. Sure they say were here for u, but really they dont' do crap.
I could say the same about our attacks from the IRA but then America supposedly FUNDED them

stop bitching about what's not happening because everybody's trying

------------------
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is pimp.
Lord Raptor's Site

Old 09-14-2001, 04:01 PM   #38
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:

And FYI, it wasn't ONLY Amerians who died in the WTC. I only caught a brief glimpse of the numbers but CNN was showing that other nationals were there too, Korean, Australian, German, Japanese..etc. This really IS an international tragedy and atrocity against humanity.

Cloudy
Thanks Amber, that's a very valid point and, I believe, one that has not been brought up here before. There were people of many nationalities in the WTC at the time of the attack. Today I heard that there were also Dutch people there. Does nationality really matter here? They died, we mourn them. That should be all.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet, High Queen of Fluffies, Archbabe of the OHF, LH and HADB

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 09-14-2001, 04:06 PM   #39
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Mel, I agree with you. I know that there were two Germans on the planes, but does that mean we should mourn all the other deaths less? No. Also, I do not know if we are going to be sending help - probably, but I do know that in any case all Europe is with you, grieves with you and supports you. Several threads make that clear, among others Moiraines: "Today, at midday 12GMT" thread and the "Thank you Britain" thread.

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-14-2001, 08:05 PM   #40
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
It would be NICE just once in a while to get the OFFER anyway.
Typicaly Canada has been the only country to really give us any aid or assistance, they help us fight fires all the time. I think most of the remarks about no help offered are directed more at the countries who constantly and repeatedly thoughout history have had aid from the USA but who never even offer support in times of crisis.
MagiK, the US generally aids countries that are unable to return the favour, not those who can. Those who can ARE offering aid.

------------------