Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2001, 03:31 PM   #11
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

I use W98 and it doesnt give me a lot of problems (well yeah a lot of problems but not a big lot of problems you know ).

is really linux THAT great ?? what i see as a drawback on it is that most games cant be played under linux (at least thats what ive heard, is it true ??)

if bg2 (and maybe bg1 too) work on linux i might try it, i dont really use the computer for lots of programs that require windows, i only use bg2 and internet (well thats now, when i start uni classes again i suppose ill have to use borland c++ builders and stuff, dunno if they run under linux)

------------------
"I miss the Angel... and I mean that I REALLY miss her" -Ertai, Captive of the Blinding Angel
Old 08-13-2001, 05:49 PM   #12
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

im still using win98 because i feel its better for me . i dont wish to upgrade my windows pretty soon bec my computer is still kinda pathetic and winME will only take up memory and speed. the restore thingie sounds interesting though.

to Frudi_x - i was also using the dual win2000 and 98 and it was great at the begining . here is a tip for ya, dont EVER scan using norton. here is what happened to me, i was just scanning for the first time with norton anti-virus when whoa behold it detected a file in which it was somewhat "corrupted". oh well so i asked the program to fix it and i shut down my comp. the next time i tried to open my computer... you know how you have the optiion at the start to chooose you windows right?? well this time it not only did not come out, i was not able to access any of my files and both windows crash on me.. .. all my files lost .. boo hoo.. but that was like 2 years ago.. now im just stickin to one windows.

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 08-13-2001, 06:32 PM   #13
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

well, can i still criticize it?

------------------
Proud member of the HADB. And remember, when you're thinking of giant heads, why not think of the Big Giant Head?
Old 08-13-2001, 09:00 PM   #14
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

to Harkoliar: guess I don't have to worry about it - I don't use norton anti-virus. I actually scan my disk for viruses only about once or twice per year and then I just download good-old f-prot and the latest virus definitions. but I haven't had an infection for several years now; I found out that no anti-virus software beats plain common sense and a slight dose of caution.
Old 08-14-2001, 02:57 AM   #15
sylent
Emerald Dragon

I have had ME running on my computer for about 4 weeks now, and I have not really seen any problems with it yet. There is one thing that keeps popping up, which is a dodgy protection error. I don't have any pyrate software on my computer either so its just some stupid error I think...
Anyway, I have no idea what the restore system thingy is, but hey if thats one good thing about ME, then

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 08-14-2001, 05:07 AM   #16
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

now that you mention it sylent...

to be honest, ive been using nearly all pirated software here... (hey dont blame me for that, a cd pirated software here is 100 pesos= 2 dollars and the originals give me a good 1500+pesos.. big difference rights?)

so with the latest windows?? ive heard that it protects anti-piracy, so i wont be able to use those programs.. is it true

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 08-14-2001, 07:47 AM   #17
Sir_Tainly

Quote:
Originally posted by Ertai_OHF:
I use W98 and it doesnt give me a lot of problems (well yeah a lot of problems but not a big lot of problems you know ).

is really linux THAT great ?? what i see as a drawback on it is that most games cant be played under linux (at least thats what ive heard, is it true ??)

if bg2 (and maybe bg1 too) work on linux i might try it, i dont really use the computer for lots of programs that require windows, i only use bg2 and internet (well thats now, when i start uni classes again i suppose ill have to use borland c++ builders and stuff, dunno if they run under linux)

O.k. fair point about games, but for most other things Linux is so much more versatile. Currently I have two 98 boxes at home for multiplayer gaming and hopefully soon I will have a linux box for my work stuff and web browsing.

------------------
Holy Avenger of the OHF and part time Pinguindiebjäger

Old 08-14-2001, 08:02 AM   #18
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
now that you mention it sylent...

to be honest, ive been using nearly all pirated software here... (hey dont blame me for that, a cd pirated software here is 100 pesos= 2 dollars and the originals give me a good 1500+pesos.. big difference rights?)

so with the latest windows?? ive heard that it protects anti-piracy, so i wont be able to use those programs.. is it true

I have been guilty of this sinful practise in the past on many an occasion...
Would I rather spend $500+ on a computer graphics package, or just borrow a CD off a mate? (I wonder?)

However, I do always buy games, because they are actually reasonably priced, and I would bet that people have worked hard on them. (People have probably worked hard on graphics packages too, but thats entirely beside the point!)

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 08-15-2001, 03:27 AM   #19
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

I used to use 98 second edition. Now I use Windows ME and I think ME is better System Restore is a great feature and networking is a breeze.

Ive read that XP not only wont let you use burned CDs but it also has a form of copy protection on it that puts "Digital watermarks" on anything you record from a CD. So in effect they are trying to make CD writers and rewriters unusable.

I have to think that we've all made cassette tapes of collections of our favourite songs, and if we've paid for legitamate CDs, we should be able to make CDs with collections of our favourite songs as well. Bill Gates doesnt agree. Thats why the copy protection.

In the Sony Betamax case of 1984 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that if someone makes a copy of a video cassette and they dont charge admission for the viewing of the copy, or do not sell it, No crime jas been committed. Its called "Personal Use"

Nobody wants to spend $50 on a movie and have their VCR eat it, then be forced into buying another copy of the same movie. Thats consumer protection. They could make faulty tapes and when you get it home and put it in your VCR to play it ...... it gets eaten. So youre out another $50.

Same thing with programs. The smart thing to do is make a copy of a program so that if your copy screws up you still have the original which you paid hard earned cash for.

It looks like Bill Gates will end up back in court for this little tactic hes trying with XP.

------------------
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2001, 04:18 AM   #20
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Earthdog, Nick and Slackerboy told me about the watermark stuff. Tell me, how does it affect wav.files you create? ie. Can you burn onto CD music you create. Otherwise, what good is having a burner?

While I've been away my bro told me my computer "went into cardiac arrest" and literally died. All those Wav files! Anyhow, the result was an extra 128 mg of ram and windows ME. I haven't heard about any issues with it yet, but everyone seems to hate it. Moirane couldn't stand it. Is it really that bad? AAAAAARRRRRGGGG!!!

I'm glad Sylent, that you are a voice of validation for it.

------------------
I am the walrus!.... er, no hang on....

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!