Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 06-20-2003, 06:45 PM   #1
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
I know a lot on the system of this game, but I don't know so much about the game itself. Someone said there is actually a holy avenger in this game, is that true? If so that would rule! Any ways, I was wondering what weapons my pally should use? I usually use longswords, but there seems few that are very good. Should I forsake my shield? Dual wield?

Thanks in advance!
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 08:18 PM   #2
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Dron_Cah:
I know a lot on the system of this game, but I don't know so much about the game itself. Someone said there is actually a holy avenger in this game, is that true? If so that would rule! Any ways, I was wondering what weapons my pally should use? I usually use longswords, but there seems few that are very good. Should I forsake my shield? Dual wield?

Thanks in advance!
I think the Holy Avenger you're thinking of is Carsomyr. Hopefully, you've found Carsomyr.

I keep my paladins with two-handed swords if they're not taking and a long/bastard sword and shield combo if they are. The added protection of a shield helps in the thick of things.

Dual-wielding is a bad idea. It's hard for paladin-classes to get THAC0 bonuses for the offhand.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Faceman
Hathor

Now there are some types of weapons you should consider for your Paladin

1.)Two-Handed swords: There's one extra nice (namely Carsomyr=Holy Avenger) in SoA
2.)Long/Bastard swords + shield: because I think they are the classic choice for a knight. Extremely decent Longswords are however only avialable with ToB installed (WK). Plus there are some pretty nice shields and the armor class bonus is a charm
3.)Warhammers: The BEST weapon of the game is a warhammer and after all this is a weapon of choice for every other paladin + you get to use shields again
4.)Maces: Very nice anti-undead mace in the game
5.)Flails: Very nice Flail available early in the game.

I would not recommend dualling as it is just not Paladin-style.
If you are more powergaming -> Warhammer
for decent weapons with less "knock 'em all dead" or if you simply don't like Whms or don't want to wait for the superpower item late in the game -> Maces, Flails, Longswords

TwoHandedSword is a nice compromise: early available (if you're up for the challenge) and one of the best weapons in the game. however you lose the AC bonus and magic effects from an extra shield.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:33 PM   #4
IronDragon
Elminster

Daystar is a relatively good long sword especially when fighting vampires. And its available very early in the game.

My favorite weapon choice for a Paladin is two handed sword and crossbow.
I used to try to have halberd as there is a really good one available in the underdark but I found that once I had the Holy Avenger I never touched the Halberd. Now Mazzy usually gets the Halberd.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:53 PM   #5
BaRoN NiGhT

yes...carsomyr rulez!
BaRoN NiGhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 04:06 AM   #6
Raistlin Majere
Ra

if you ever get ToB,*ToB minor item spoilers*
you seriously might consider bastard sword+shield, since you can get 2 very nice bastad swords in watchers keep, and one of them is a paladin only weapon, the Purifier.

edit: wohoo! level up

[ 06-21-2003, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: Raistlin Majere ]

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 12:18 PM   #7
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Thanks!

I'm debating now on wether a I should use a cavalier or an undead hunter. I'm thinking I'm going to use a two-handed sword, war hammer, and sword and shield style. What do you think? IronDragon, why a crossbow and not a Long Bow? Or a composite long bow? Are than any dexterity or constitution boosting items? I know there is a strength belt, but I always give a Paladin excellent strength, it just seems right. Thanks again.
Dron_Cah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 04:54 PM   #8
spydar

with those weapons it seems more a cavalier as the best weapons against the undead or blunt or crushing weapons.

but as for the comment on there being no decent longswords I have one, I think it's the Black rose or red rose or something, whatever there's a rose in it's name and it's pretty damn good.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:03 PM   #9
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

It is the Blade of Roses+3
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 05:11 PM   #10
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

item spoiler
I believe your talking about the blade of roses which can be bought from bernard after you free the slaves
end spoiler

A Paladin should definetly have ** in two handed sword to take advantage of the holy avenger. My Undead Hunter which I'm playing now started with these profeciencies
two handed sword++
two handed weapon style++
cross bow++

You'll be using the holy avenger alot trust me so you should put ++ in two handed weapon style to give you bonuses using the two handed sword. I picked crossbow instead of bows because I just feel bows are more for rangers not Paladins although your opinion may be different. Later I gave him ++ in flail to use the excellent flail of ages against things which need blunt weaponery to hurt. In the future I plan to give him ++ in bastard sword in case I want to use the purifier. I didn't give him points in war hammer because I plan on giving Crom Fayer to Anomen.