Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 03:07 PM   #11
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally posted by lost prophet:
cheers everyone. i think ill go for the 20gb one as i have roughly 3000 songs on my computer and everywhere else. How much would that set me back? for a decent brand that is...
For an iPod, $449 in Aussie$.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:38 PM   #12
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
I'm not going to try and discourage you from getting an iPod, but I will strongly suggest that you look at the main alternative (Creative MP3 player) as tehy are cheaper adn have much better features, the only thing that they lack in comparisson to the iPod is the crappy advertising.

And make sure you buy it of eBay (I got mine for $470 when they retail for $700) if you dont have a thing against buy stuff online....
you spent $470 on your MP3 player??? I bought an ipod a few weeks ago for $320 (after tax). How is 470 cheaper than 300? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]First of all, It's Australian dollars so the conversion works out to be..
$470.00 AUD=$354.780 USD

Plus, my Zen is the 60Gig version, and I have never seen a 60Gig iPod
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 04:57 PM   #13
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
quote:
I'm not going to try and discourage you from getting an iPod, but I will strongly suggest that you look at the main alternative (Creative MP3 player) as tehy are cheaper adn have much better features, the only thing that they lack in comparisson to the iPod is the crappy advertising.

And make sure you buy it of eBay (I got mine for $470 when they retail for $700) if you dont have a thing against buy stuff online....
you spent $470 on your MP3 player??? I bought an ipod a few weeks ago for $320 (after tax). How is 470 cheaper than 300? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]First of all, It's Australian dollars so the conversion works out to be..
$470.00 AUD=$354.780 USD

Plus, my Zen is the 60Gig version, and I have never seen a 60Gig iPod
[/QUOTE]I have.
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:34 PM   #14
vesselle
Hathor

5gb zen micro
3.4 gigs in use
308 mp3's

V***V
Old 09-04-2005, 06:10 AM   #15
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

I wouldn't go for any less than 5 gig, at very least, but would prefer about 20~40gig.
And you should weigh up the advantages/disadvantages, of static over harddrive. Some smaller mp3 player have static memory up to about 2 gig in size, after whitch they mostly are hardrive based.
Static uses less power, never skips, and is really difficult to damage, but is more expensive in larger sizes (2gig esp which isn't really enough) but hardrives are amazing just because of the sheer storage available, i'd personally only buy a hardrive mp3 player simply because of the storage issue.
Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:32 PM   #16
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
And please don't get Ipod... Apple doesn't need more money... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Why not? What am I missing here? Could you shed some light? My daughter wants one for her upcoming birthday, would the Ipod be a mistake?

I figure it's made by that other than M$ compnay, does not have a Intel processor in it, and has no need to coexist in a Wintel world. What could possibly be wrong with that? Or does it relate to the interface to a Wintel based PC? What if say, a girl had a Mac? Or more realistically, say an AMD based processor, but is a member of the Penguin army, and not a herded sheep into the M$ camp? Could that make the difference? I've got about 10 days to finalize, and have found the 40GB at the exchange for a price I cannot post here.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:03 AM   #17
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
quote:
Originally posted by Jorath Calar:
And please don't get Ipod... Apple doesn't need more money... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Why not? What am I missing here? Could you shed some light? My daughter wants one for her upcoming birthday, would the Ipod be a mistake?

I figure it's made by that other than M$ compnay, does not have a Intel processor in it, and has no need to coexist in a Wintel world. What could possibly be wrong with that? Or does it relate to the interface to a Wintel based PC? What if say, a girl had a Mac? Or more realistically, say an AMD based processor, but is a member of the Penguin army, and not a herded sheep into the M$ camp? Could that make the difference? I've got about 10 days to finalize, and have found the 40GB at the exchange for a price I cannot post here.
[/QUOTE]The Creative range has far superior Battery life, removebale battery (handy because you can have multiple ones and they are damn cheap), EAX audio (provides extremely good audio quality and allows for precise adjustments to the equaliser adn more), cheaper, easy to connect to a pc, does not require iTunes, comes with great software for editing MP3 tags and sorting, easy to use as an external HDD, looks just as good as an iPod if not better, though I will admit that the iPod brings with it a "popularity" boost kind of thing, so if it's for your daughter then maybe it would be a better option...
But do consider alternative products.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #18
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
The Creative range has far superior Battery life,
Not so grasshopper: Ipod Apple says 15hrs, competition is great!
Quote:
removebale battery (handy because you can have multiple ones and they are damn cheap),
Excellent, this could be a major selling point.
Quote:
EAX audio (provides extremely good audio quality and allows for precise adjustments to the equaliser adn more), cheaper, easy to connect to a pc, does not require iTunes,
Ok cool. What's wrong with itunes? Is it not the ultimate music/MP3 program available? I have it x3 on this network! Far superior to anything out of Redmond!
Quote:
comes with great software for editing MP3 tags and sorting, easy to use as an external HDD, looks just as good as an iPod if not better, though I will admit that the iPod brings with it a "popularity" boost kind of thing, so if it's for your daughter then maybe it would be a better option...
But do consider alternative products.
Since I'm accustomed to Itunes, what exactly is a MP3 tag editor, why does one need it?

Price, I belong to a secret order of price beaters, and can purchase a brand new Ipod Gen 4 40Gb, for less than any of the Creative 20GB series. That savings could be spent on a spare/back up battery pack?

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:09 AM   #19
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

MP3 (ID3) tags are technically the bytes in an mp3 file which contains non-music data i.e. artist name, song title, comments, genre etc. etc. So the tag editor allows you to edit that. Most players use the id3 tags to display song title, artist etc.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:50 AM   #20
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
*quick scan* I'm surprised no one has said that it depends on the quality of encoding (bit and sampling rate). Although sampling rate is generally always kept at 44KHz, the bit rate varies a lot. Some say 128Kbps is enough, but I use a variable bit rate compressor so it uses more bits where there's a lot happening in a song and less bits on simple periods in the song. I set the average bit rate to 140Kbps. Either way 128Kbps translates to around 1 megabyte/minute

So 512MB can hold around 500minutes of music. If they are 4 mins each, around 125 songs, which is borne out by experience as I've got a 512MB player. So 20GB should hold in theory, around 40 times that much i.e. 5000 songs, as people have said [img]smile.gif[/img] yeah! the theory works

obviously it holds less if they are encoded at say 160Kbps
Excellent point V! Upon further reseach this morning from the HIVs post, I have gathered this. Creative Bases their storage capacity from 64Kbps WMA coding. About 1/2 of what is known as the 'standard', and just might have something to do with why they 'appear' to have a higher capacity. Very interesting indeed. I have always known Creative to be a M$ lap dog, but this is icing to the cake. Apple On the other hand bases their storage capacity off of 128Kbps (more realistic) AAV and other formats, but NOT WMA. Imagine that!
Well now, this changes things a bit. Wonder how many royalties M$ makes from Creative? Probably has a lot to do with why they are not carried at all retailers, or on club member pricing at the society!
Apple may be lacking a bit of spice, but I know the history of Bill Gates, and Steve Jobs, remember, Apple was in the school house classroom many years before the Wintel gang!
*Deletes link to creative web site from Opera browser.*

John F. Kennedy

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen