Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-06-2001, 11:55 AM   #11
Lord Shield

EEEEP!!!! The bird lord gives Mel a really big cuddle

I won't answer to A or B because they are unrealistic and there are ALWAYS other choices. Those kinds of questions infuriated me in Ultima 7, they still do now

Not everybody can help their own situation. Yes, it's their choice to commit a crime, but they may be driven to it

------------------
Lord Raptor's Site

Ironworks Dark General
BG2 Tavern Keeper
King of Pointlessness

Old 10-06-2001, 11:55 AM   #12
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Not everything can be controlled 250, is it a poor man's fault if a hurricane destroyed his house and the place where he worked thereby making him homeless and without a job?

------------------
Worshipper of Tiax.
Wielder of the ancient Lawyer spells.
Member of the HADB clan.

Ally of the Fluffy Queen and the Dreaded Red Fluffy
General of the highest class and Leader of the Legal Department in the IW Peacekeeping Force.
ORT member, Official Demander of Stuff.

"If Silence is golden, why does everyone talk so much?"
Old 10-06-2001, 11:58 AM   #13
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
First of all I NEVER said I would only help those who are "nice" and "poor" I said I wouldn't give money to drug abusers, not that I wouldn't help them AT ALL! The man I brought food (he passed away last winter) was an alcoholist, so I'd never give him money, but he did really appreciate the food. Around Christmas we brought him some home-made cake, and it sure meant a lot to him. I was just stating that I would rather help by other means than financial ones, but I certainly believe in helping those who need it.

Quote:
look carefully, everyone IS responsible for his live and the way he is
Stop generalising!! You know what happened the last time you did that...you ended up hurting people. What about people who are born in squalor and poverty, who never got a chance to get an education? What about people with mental diseases? What about people who suffer from illnesses. Frankly, the way you phrased it here (and I can just hope you meant it differently), your judgemental rigidity sickens me.

see, alcoholic, he CHOSE to drink, he CHOSE to avoid getting help, he CHOSE to be weak and not giving up his source of pain. pain, but willing accepted

am I generalizing? well, I am not. this is HARD truth. who did I hurt? about those who are BORN ill, sick, I already gave you my side of arguement, you can choose to ignore it. I dont care

also, "being hurt" is another choice. whoever is hurt by my thread, can continuely telling him/her self that I am not speaking the truth, I lied. and keep feeling hurt.

you view the world through a glass, which was your experiences from the past. if you don't reacat truthfully to that glass, you never realize it IS there. and you continue to world in that strange view and feel hurt... ah, what am I saying? how many people understand this? if no one, I will rephrase it and give a better arguement,

anyway, you are create your own experience
Old 10-06-2001, 11:58 AM   #14
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

dang quote UBB thingie is not working for me

i dont mind a debate among you guys, i just want to make sure that it doesnt go into a full-rage debating match, so lets just keep it "civilized" or "polite" PLEASE?

i was about to reply similar to Melusine (but she beat me to it ). another thought comes to me is "people who chose the wrong friends, whom they trusted, was betrayed and ending up in poverty, is it thier fault to choose whom they trusted? a good intention turned sour? was it thier responsible not noticing it further? i think this is similar to Melusine's post. sigh... life is so complex...

------------------
Revived I Am to hunt this world... Banish ye evil or face my wrath...
Old 10-06-2001, 11:58 AM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Shield:
EEEEP!!!! The bird lord gives Mel a really big cuddle

I won't answer to A or B because they are unrealistic and there are ALWAYS other choices. Those kinds of questions infuriated me in Ultima 7, they still do now

Not everybody can help their own situation. Yes, it's their choice to commit a crime, but they may be driven to it

You're right, of course.
Harkoliar, you asked about what if my ONLY choices were giving money or giving nothing, but like LS said, there are always more options and I agree with him that these theoretical questions are hardly answerable if you can't improvise a little.

Oh, and ~cuddles back~

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-06-2001, 12:00 PM   #16
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Harkoliar:
dang quote UBB thingie is not working for me

i dont mind a debate among you guys, i just want to make sure that it doesnt go into a full-rage debating match, so lets just keep it "civilized" or "polite" PLEASE?

i was about to reply similar to Melusine (but she beat me to it ). another thought comes to me is "people who chose the wrong friends, whom they trusted, was betrayed and ending up in poverty, is it thier fault to choose whom they trusted? a good intention turned sour? was it thier responsible not noticing it further? i think this is similar to Melusine's post. sigh... life is so complex...

I agree on both counts: let's keep it civil and yes you are saying about the same thing as I was saying.

250 that last post of yours just doesn't make any sense to me.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-06-2001, 12:06 PM   #17
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Not everything can be controlled 250, is it a poor man's fault if a hurricane destroyed his house and the place where he worked thereby making him homeless and without a job?

DO NOT play the "what if" game, people. if you want to play, then play it to the end.

this person can choose to react to the accident in a CONSTRUCTIVE way, rather than feeling sorry and pitiful for himself

if you happen to lose your child in a car accident by drunk driver. I am going to tell you, it is a bad thing, it is HORRIBLE.
but even in this situation, there are examples to create value from disaster
Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) is a wonderful organization and a perfect example of how parents who have suffered the loss of injury of a child at the hands of an irresponsible element of scoiety have chosen, through social action, to create meaning out of that suffering.

I am not saying "their child's death worth" I am just saying that reaction was a CHOICE

what more examples can you give? who would stand up and say "My life is not the result of my choices" ?

and people, for one last time, if you want to play the "what if" game, play it till the end
Old 10-06-2001, 12:09 PM   #18
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:

250 that last post of yours just doesn't make any sense to me.

who did I hurt?
I simply slammed truth on thme
Old 10-06-2001, 12:11 PM   #19
Lord Shield

Which, as I said, is a pointless exercise if you're only given very limited choices

If it was simply a case of "what would you do" rather than the "select A or B" rubbish, I would respond with:

A) Neither - both are stressed and not feeling themselves. Makes them react badly

B) I don't need to give to people on the street as I already donate monthly from my salary (G.A.Y.E scheme) and I barely make my own outgoings

------------------
Lord Raptor's Site

Ironworks Dark General
BG2 Tavern Keeper
King of Pointlessness

Old 10-06-2001, 12:12 PM   #20
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by 250:
DO NOT play the "what if" game, people. if you want to play, then play it to the end.

this person can choose to react to the accident in a CONSTRUCTIVE way, rather than feeling sorry and pitiful for himself

if you happen to lose your child in a car accident by drunk driver. I am going to tell you, it is a bad thing, it is HORRIBLE.
but even in this situation, there are examples to create value from disaster
Mothers Against Drunk Drivers (MADD) is a wonderful organization and a perfect example of how parents who have suffered the loss of injury of a child at the hands of an irresponsible element of scoiety have chosen, through social action, to create meaning out of that suffering.

I am not saying "their child's death worth" I am just saying that reaction was a CHOICE

what more examples can you give? who would stand up and say "My life is not the result of my choices" ?

and people, for one last time, if you want to play the "what if" game, play it till the end

You know, you sound to me as someone who maybe hasn't had enough experience in life to make these kinds of judgements, in other words: naive. Try to see things from a different viewpoint for once. How can you talk about a mother losing a child as if you have the slightest clue what that means?

Quote:
who did I hurt?
I simply slammed truth on thme

I didn't say you hurt anybody, where did you read that? I said you made no sense to me, which you didn't.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art