Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 01-30-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
Aerich
Lord Ao

I thought it would be useful to put together a list of all the side-quests in Targos. I've recently started a game, so this should all be fresh in my memory. I also did a little experimenting at key points by taking different dialogue paths, then going back and doing it another way to see if more experience resulted. I've put down what I know/can remember about what is required to get the dialogue string and the reward. Feel free to add comments, verification, clarification, sarcastic criticism, etc.

In rough order from the start of the game:

1) Reig and his broken arm (Docks, guard). You can get two chunks of experience from him. If you talk to him with a character with healing skills (maybe not druid, but I know it works with cleric and paladin), you can heal him after speaking to him. The dialogues for different types of clerics are fascinating, as well. The second chunk of experience comes from giving him a healing potion.

2) Guthewolfe's charm (Docks, warrior-seller in the tavern). Play his "game" and win a wolf charm. Winning costs a bit of money, and needs a non-dwarf character with very high Con. 18 Con is enough, but 16 is not.

3) Hedron's mother (Docks, southernmost centre house). Two ways to get experience. First, save her from goblins. Second, if you first show her the dead cat from the northern warehouse, then talk to the mercenaries at the palisade, you can get XP for telling her how the cat died.

4) Kolumn (Targos, house in west). Get on his case about being a grave robber - I can't recall if this quest gives XP or just money. There may be an alignment restriction on this dialogue.

5) Traitor (Targos, house north of Ulbrec's). Talk to him, expose him, kill him. Anybody know if you get more XP for identifying the charred scrolls first?

6) Weeping Widow (Targos, inn, upstairs, night). Two ways to get rid of her. First way is to exorcise her with a priest. Gives significantly less XP than option 2. Option two is talk to her, talk to the innkeeper about her, who tells you you talk to the tavern keeper. Talk to the tavernkeeper, who has a piece of her husband's boat and is willing to give it to you. Show it to the ghost. She gives you XP and so does the innkeeper. This is quite a complicated quest with several ways to get XP. Make sure you get the ghost-touched bottle from the innkeeper, then identify it and talk to Ulbrec's wife about it - then get a ghost tear when you get rid of the ghost, which can be made into a magical dagger or extra cash.

7) Doppelganger (Targos, temple). Get letters from doppelganger, take them to the head priest. Kill doppelganger if you wish for more XP; one of the clerics gets annoyed with you, but not hostile.

8) Valin (Targos, temple, diviner lying down). Talk to Ulbrec's wife first about whether magic has been helpful against the goblin horde. Then "talk" to Valin, who will mention braehg. Go to Guthwulfe, who drinks the stuff, and either buy it or pickpocket it. Give it to Valin. Get XP from Valin AND from Ulbrec's wife for curing him. If you want money, you can pickpocket him blind (you will also find a note, which is the other way of being notified to give him braehg).

9) Oswald (Targos, gnome at airship). I think you can fake him into believing he owes you money. I can't recall if this gives you XP. Requires bluff skill?

10) Olap (Palisade, north, dwarf engineer). Speak to Shawford Crale, who gives you a multitude of little quests. Speak to Olap, who sends you to talk to a merchant. Go back to Olap, who sends you to Jorum (Docks, dwarven shipbuilder). Fix the crane.

11) Train recruits (Palisade, slightly northwest of Shawford's base, attacking a barrel). Show them how to use a spear. I'm not sure what the requirements are - warrior class? iirc, I've had it work with warriors but not rogues, and characters without any dialogue skills to speak of.

12) Niles (Palisade, guard behind Shawford's base). Two ways to get XP; give him a bottle or get in his face about drinking on the job (requires Intimidate?). I think the second way gives more XP.

13) Tabard (Palisade, shield rack northeast of Shawford's base). Tell the guard that his superior is looking for him - requires Bluff. Gives XP and an ok shield.

14) Inspire recruits (Palisade, north of Shawford's base). Speak to them with warrior or cleric? I'm not quite sure of the requirements. It definitely works with a dreadmaster, and is funny besides.

15) Catapult and hammer (Palisade, southwest). Give a guardsman a hammer. Requires diplomacy and a hammer. [img]smile.gif[/img]

16) Shooting contest (Palisade, north). Bust the barrel, win a longbow. Any XP?

17) Deliver arrows to Isherwood (Palisade, west). Quest from Shawford. Talk to Isherwood, talk to Deirdre in Targos. Requires Intimidate or Diplomacy? I suppose you could probably buy the arrows if you didn't have the talking skills.

18) Kolumn and goblin messages (Targos, house in west). Speak to Kolumn to find out what he knows about the goblin plans. Extra XP for characters than can translate goblin - drow, dwarf, elf (gnome?).

19) Iron Collar mercenaries (docks, tavern). Convince them to report to the Palisade or kill them. Both ways give the same XP. Seems to be several ways to convince them - maybe one method for each conversational skill?

Have I missed anything?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Luther
Manshoon

(related to number 4)You earn xp by asking Koluhm what the ghost-touched bottle does after you've identified it. Turns out he didn't intend to give such a valuable item away to Carl Hyred and is a little flustered. Additionally, asking him what the townsperson is doing there doesn't earn you any xp, and you can find the money behind the fireplace just by hitting the 'alt' key anyway. You also get xp for simply identifying the ghost-touched bottle and telling Carl Hyred what it is.

With regards to number 5, you get bonus xp for using your bluff skill to convince Phaen to reveal the name of his master (Harshom the Beastlord). Tell him you want to cut a deal and hand Targos over to him... oh, and no you don't get extra xp for identifying the scroll beforehand.

Also, with number 14, you can both inspire the recruits (any character with high charisma/diplomacy) and bless them (any cleric). The bless option is a conversation choice, and doesn't actually require a memorized bless spell. Both inspiring and blessing are separate options and can both be done in a single game.

[ 01-30-2007, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: Luther ]
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Awesome thread. This is a sure way to get an early XP boost!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Luther
Manshoon

By the way, near the bottom of this page you can click on a link to download the 'Quest XP and Dialogue Skill List by Westley Weimer'. This gives a comprehensive list of XP rewards for most (if not all) quests in the game.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 AM   #5
Aerich
Lord Ao

Man, every time I think I've found them all, more turn up. It's hard to remember to do them all.

Here's a few more ways to get XP, from the Quest XP list link posted by Luther. Some of them I can personally verify, as I've done them in past games but forgot/didn't have the skills in my most recent one.

There's quest XP obtainable by speaking to Shawford and Ulbrec, but it's pretty hard to miss any of it. Just make sure you talk to Shawford every time you finish a quest, up to and including the Horde Fortress, as he is the paymaster.

Docks - Brogan (man in front of northern warehouse). Three ways to get XP... tell him that the Iron Collar mercenaries aren't coming to help (requires talking to them first about the goblin invasion), convince him that you can do it (diplomacy?) and clear the goblins from the warehouse.

Docks - in relation to number 3 above, make sure you tell Hedron his mother is all right, for XP and cash.

In relation to number 5 above, apparently you can also get XP by telling Elytharra (Ulbrec's wife) who the traitor is in town, and who his boss was. I presume this requires speaking to Elytharra before offing Phaen and identifying the teleport scroll.

In relation to number 6, the Weeping Widow, apparently there is a secret cache in the Inn and a party gets XP for finding it. It may be "exposed" by dialogue, but I've never found this. You can apparently also obtain XP by "breaking the will" of the ghost. I've never done this, either. Might it require an evil character with intimidate? I wonder if these two XP rewards might even out the imbalance between the "good" and the "evil" ways to get rid of the ghost.

To expand the list into the Shaengarne Bridge portions, there is apparently a way to get Emma Moonblade (druid) to summon the Druid of Shaengarne (??). Is this a separate mini-quest, or is Emma the druid and do you get XP just for getting that far? I'm well past that area now, so I have no way to check.

Apparently, you also get XP for telling Dereth (druid at Shaengarne Ford) that you have destroyed the dam. I can't remember doing this. Surprising. I'd think, based on dialogues, that there'd be a better chance of getting XP out of Kaitlin (village spokeswoman who gives you quest to rescue villagers) for that information.