Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-31-2004, 06:34 AM   #31
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:
You can make accurate colours using the hexidecimal codes, make your own and experiment, but you can also just type basic things like

RED
PINK
GREEN
BLUE
CYAN
MAGENTA

Or one of my favourites ~ Dodger Blue Or Crimson

Quote this post to see how I've done it.
Ok, but looking at some of the others, it seems like you have more than what's needed. color="red">RED isn't the 1 red good enough? It worked for me. Or does this do something different? (stole Cyan!)
Oops sorry. I see what you did now!
[/QUOTE]
Old 10-31-2004, 06:36 AM   #32
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I didn't use "" at the beginning or end of the color word and it still worked. Does this do anything different?
Old 10-31-2004, 06:37 AM   #33
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
I didn't use "" at the beginning or end of the color word and it still worked. Does this do anything different?
Yes some browsers can just read sloppy HTML whereas others who apply to the standards might have trouble with it.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:50 AM   #34
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quite often, the "" arn't needed, but on some occasions when on some websites or when using some browsers, it wont recognise it without them. So I just got into the habit of using the "" so it worked every time.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:10 AM   #35
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Ahh, very handy Felix! I'll print the page. Thanks

Oops, and thanks to you too Beaumanoir. I think we were posting at the same time.
(that's a hurtin' color)

[ 10-31-2004, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Variol (Farseer) Elmwood ]
Old 11-01-2004, 02:57 AM   #36
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by philip:
quote:
Yes some browsers can just read sloppy HTML whereas others who apply to the standards might have trouble with it. [/QUOTE]Actually, it's non-standard browsers that will have trouble with it. According to the standards, you don't need "" unless you've got non-alphanumeric characters in there. So, you need it for specifying hex-codes (because the # is compulsory), and for doing it the CSS way (because of the : and the space), but for the old-fashioned way with the colour names, it isn't necesary. This is likely different for XHTML, though, since it is much stricter - but that's much of a muchness, since FONT isn't defined in XHTML strict (it's deprecated in transitional, obselete in strict).

[ 11-01-2004, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
Old 11-01-2004, 06:23 AM   #37
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Thanks LennonCook,
Although I didn't understand what you said. Now I just paste the colour number from the HTML colours website in.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:19 PM   #38
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Thanks LennonCook,
Although I didn't understand what you said. Now I just paste the colour number from the HTML colours website in.
ALOT of browsers will have trouble with that. If you're using colour codes in HTML, always put it in the form:
"#xxxxxx" , where xxxxxx is the colour code.
Note the quotes and the # - these are necesary for it to be completely cross-browser. Some browsers will display the wrong colour, and some browsers will even crash if you do this wrong. This happens because the standards were never clear on how to handle invalid code (this has since changed, though - the standards now explicitly state that it should degrade gracefully).
Old 11-02-2004, 07:17 PM   #39
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Ok, good to know thanks.