Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2001, 01:54 PM   #1
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

It is dark and stormy. It has been raining, so everything is wet. I cannot see more than a few feet. I dry my bike off, looking in the direction I have to go. The way is dark, with trees overhead. I mount my bike and go on.
Because of the rain, the light on my bike does not work well. Instead of its normal bright white shine, it only shows a sickly yellow gleam, not enough to be of any use. It is as if I am blind, or as if the world has disappeared.
I reach the gate, almost running into it in the dark. The metal shines strangely in the moonlight. It is standing open, so I ride through it, the puddle splashing softly. Now I can see the full moon, lighting the sky a strange gray-green. The light makes everything around even darker, except for the puddles, which shine silver. I ride on, everything is silent except for the wailing of my dynamo. Suddenly I strain my eyes. Is something moving up there in the darkness? Yes, there is definetely something there. A dark silhouette is walking towards me. Coming closer, I see that it is only a woman, her features obscured in the darkness. She walks past me, obviously in a hurry to get home where it is warm - and safe. The cold wind brushes against my wet clothes, making it seem as if I am wearing ice.
I reach a road. It is empty but for me, the cold blue-white lights creating brilliant shadows everywhere. I look ahead, seeing my own shadow distorted like that of some monstrous creature. A car starts, I jump. It drives away to the crossing ahead. My skin is shivering, the bike weaves back and forth.
Reaching the crossing, I turn right, towards the full moon. It is uphill, so I try to go faster. A voice inside me tells me "Best go slow, or you'll become tired too quickly..." I ignore it, speeding up instead. Up ahead, the houses are spaced more widely. There is light in one of the windows, yet as I look at it, it flickers and goes out. I see the full moon disappear behind one of the houses, shining from behind it so that it appears the house is surrounded by a sickly green aura. Riding even faster, I feel my breath begin to catch in my throat. The last streetlight is ahead, there are no houses anymore. To the left, I can see the lights of the city over a field, to the right, a dark hedge. Through gaps in the hedge I can see trees, their branches spread wide against the darkness. I go faster and faster, my throat is burning now. Finally I reach another crossing. I gaze to my right, a dark road leading to the city. To the left, a path leading into the forest. The path seems to disappear after a few feet, where darkness and reality merge. I shudder and ride right, my lungs burning like fire. I can hear myself panting.
On the road, I go slowly. I would like to go faster and faster, leaving the fear behind me, yet the road is slippery and rough. Up ahead, there are potholes filled with water. The full moon makes the water glow silver, so that it seems as though I am riding through holes to another world...
Up ahead, I can see a street. The lights here are stronger, they illuminate the asphalt. I ride more quickly, heedless of the gaping silver maws on either side. Ten meters... five... I am there. I turn onto the asphalt of the road, breathing in relief. My hands are shaking. There are several bikers ahead of me, and one car coming. The sounds of the city fill my ears.
There is still a long way to go until I am home, but the rest of the way is over brightly-lit streets with a lot of traffic. I look at the full moon as it disappears behind a tree, not to return today.

Well?

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Magess of Lady Lioness' Court
Saint of the SoS
Historian of IW
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Once Upon A Paper Writer's Forum
Old 10-31-2001, 01:57 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Well written, quite a scary story, *shivers* it scares me.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:57 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Very good!

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 Demonslayer of the OHF.

Paladin of the order, first bodyguard of Lady Lioness and defender of Castle Kerhelm
Old 10-31-2001, 05:07 PM   #4
Byronas

Good one Kaz!

------------------

Where there are monsters and barbarians there will be Byronas fighting against them.
Leader of Keldorn's Order

Old 11-02-2001, 11:51 AM   #5
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

*bumping a great story*