Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2001, 05:42 AM   #1
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Did you delete it??? (Pease tell me you kept a copy!)

------------------
Old 03-10-2001, 05:51 AM   #2
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Was I dreaming??? That was one of the most fantastic stories I've ever read!!! In fact, I was replying to tell you so and got the dreaded 404 that means the post has been deleted... Here comes 7 sad faces (there'd be more if that wasn't the limit!)

------------------
Old 03-10-2001, 12:47 PM   #3
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Hello Lovely Lady Rae, Hmmmm, it has been nearly 2 decades since I delved into writing a literary piece. The more I reread my story, the more I pondered the possibility that my tale might be far too dark and bleak, even dismal to be aproppriate on a bulletin board visited by so many young people. Out of respect for those who might be offended by a tale where good and evil both failed except for the saviour who appears at the end, I deleted my morbid tale. And no, there is no copy. I made it up on the fly, typing it as I went.
Thank you for finding some merit in my feeble attempt.
Old 03-10-2001, 02:32 PM   #4
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Put it back on!!!! I didn't read it. Don't CENSOR I can make up my own mine!!!!

------------------
Sir Taliesin

Ten Rings there are, and nine gold torcs on the battlechiefs of old...
Old 03-10-2001, 03:12 PM   #5
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Oh, my kind and gentle (and talented!) friend! You are a man of high standard who would fight for anyone but yourself... The tale was a bit 'dark' as you say, but completely riviting! And, unlike most short stories, it was 'whole' with beginning, middle and resolution. It's been quite a while since I've written anything literary too (most of my writing these days is technical) but I've never lost my passion for reading fiction and, knowing the ins and outs of writing, I'm an excellent critic! You, kind sir, are an excellent writer! I will use the argument I used with my ex-husband. Gary is a fine musician and a singer without equal. For years he sat by himself and played guitar better than anyone and sang with a voice better than any I've ever heard (a voice of an angel!). That's how we got together, in fact, when I found out he played. "Oh, I'm not very good," he said, believing it, "but I can mostly keep up." Imagine my surprise when he blew my socks off and I spent the rest of our relationship trying to get good enough just to 'keep up' with him! The thing is, only a close circle of friends and myself and my family were the only ones who ever heard him. I told him that talent of this type is very rare, that it's what seperates us regular artists from the 'masters' and, in a way, people who have that kind of talent are 'obligated' to share it. He tried but could never get over his 'stage-fright' enough to make a go of it, regardless of how much I (truthfully) praised him. The thing is, even with tension tightening his throat and making his fingers feel 'stumbley', he was better on stage than anyone else! I will not pressure you, my friend, but yours is a talent that would be almost 'wrong' to keep to yourself! And if you promise (PLEASE promise!) to write another, I'll stop sending you sad faces!

------------------
Old 03-10-2001, 04:06 PM   #6
The.Relic
Red Dragon

LadyRae, you are most kind. I used to love to write fantasy and sci fi. Part of the problem for me is that having aged and experienced many harsh and bitter realities, I can no longer write from the fanciful and preffered position that good always prevails, that the righteous always survive, and that evil always perishes without exacting a heavy, if not anguishing toll. In BG2 as in most games your character and your party can die, but we can always replay again and again until we get it right, and thereby feel proud and resolute that good will prevail. My tale, or any tale I would write would not only set forth the sought for glory and prestige, but also a more realistic presentation of the exacting price that that such success might demand. Were I to find that in publishing such a tale that I had offended a number of people here because I had not presented a positive enough view of success, I would be deeply troubled. I never considered myself as being a good or gifted writer, it just served as a way of expression as did my artwork.
Old 03-10-2001, 04:21 PM   #7
LadyRae
Symbol of Cyric

Exactly! Happy endings are not the mainstay of fiction anymore. Just the elements of beginning, middle and resolution. I read somewhere once (and this greatly improved my writing) that good fiction is not only creating good and believable charactors, but creating good plot:

"Plot is not only putting your charactors on the edge of the treacherous cliff, but putting them there in the middle of a snowstorm with an avalanche above and a hoard of angry monsters below!"

My dear and talented friend, if all we wanted was Care Bears we wouldn't even be here!

(more sad faces...)

------------------
Old 03-10-2001, 04:27 PM   #8
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by LadyRae:
Exactly! Happy endings are not the mainstay of fiction anymore. Just the elements of beginning, middle and resolution. I read somewhere once (and this greatly improved my writing) that good fiction is not only creating good and believable charactors, but creating good plot:

"Plot is not only putting your charactors on the edge of the treacherous cliff, but putting them there in the middle of a snowstorm with an avalanche above and a hoard of angry monsters below!"

My dear and talented friend, if all we wanted was Care Bears we wouldn't even be here!

(more sad faces...)

Even resolution is not required anymore. Just the knowledge that whatever outcome was desired was not lost forever. I have read many a book with an implied ending, to either open up for a new book, or even to allow for the readers imagination to finish it.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-10-2001, 05:34 PM   #9
The.Relic
Red Dragon

LadyRae, Care Bears, you truly made me laugh.... Thank you..

Tobbin, my tale did indeed have a resolution to the endeavor at hand, but was written in such a way that made it clear that there was also a future.
Old 03-10-2001, 05:43 PM   #10
Stealthy

Relic, I missed your story. Please put it back on Wolfgirs's site so we can all enjoy it. I really enjoy the stories on the board.

------------------

Never accept an invitation from Wolfgir to a BBQ!