Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2002, 07:16 AM   #21
WillowIX
Apophis

IŽve tried to do the Windows Issue post with BungleauŽs layout. The links in the index to that section should be fully operational. Sorry but the post became rather loooong. Correct me if I misunderstood you Bungleau. I removed the "Symptom" and posted it as a headline for the problem.
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 07:17 AM   #22
WillowIX
Apophis

6) Windows Issues

6.1) CanŽt enter buildings in town
Problem: Your townmsk*.avi files are compressed and wonŽt work in Windows
2000/XP
Solution: Download Virtualdub.
Save the open file in Vdub with the "Save old-format AVI" option with a new file name (such as mask1.avi). You should see some strange graphics appear; you will get back a large 32MB file. Now exit Virtualdub and then in Windows Explorer rename the new file from mask1.avi to townmsk1.avi (over the old file - say Yes to the "Do you want to replace" dialog box). Do the same procedure to the other two town mask files (townmsk2.avi and townmsk3.avi) changing the initial save names as appropriate.
Solution provided by: Ryanamur, Sazerac and Xignal

6.2-6.5) Game crashes then receiving a memory error message, game
crashes when talking, using/giving, casting spells, disarming.

Problem: Wizards & Warriors is not compatible with Windows 2000/XP
Solution: Go to your shortcut in Windows, either on desktop or in start menu. Right click the shortcut and choose properties. Click on the compatibility tab. Check the box "Run in compatibility mode" and select "Windows 95 layer". Playing when logged in as Administrator can also help.
Solution provided by: WillowIX and Xignal

6.6) No links in start menu after installing
Problem: Wizards & Warriors is not compatible with Windows 2000/XP
Solution: YouŽll have to add your short cuts manually. The .exe file you want is called quot;deep6.exe". Link to that when creating your shortcut.
Solution provided by: Xignal

6.7) Turn on compatibility mode in win2000
Problem: CanŽt find the compatibility tab in Windows
Solution: Do a search on Windows 2000 because you will need to run the program in Windows 95 compatibility mode which is not turned on by default - here is the command you need to run: regsvr32 c:\winnt\apppatch\slayerui.dll. This allows Win95/98 compatibility and will allow you to modify your shortcut properties to use the compatibility.
Solution provided by: MitchR

6.8) Problems running W&W in Windows 98 and Windows Me
Problem: The Video Compression Codecs are not set correctly
Solution: The solution is to reset your Compression codecs in the Windows Setup. Open up Control Panel (Start ->Settings ->Control Panel), click on the "Add or Remove Programs" icon, and then click on the Windows Setup tab. Scroll down the list until you find "Multimedia", then click on it and then click the "Details" button. Make sure "Video Compression" is checked. Then click the OK button. You will need to restart your computer to have your settings updated. Another workaround: if your swap file is too small, setting it to a larger size will help.
Solution provided by: Sazerac

6.9) How to change swap file size
Problem: The swap file is too small (300Mb recommended)
Solution Windows 95/98/ME: Right-click on "My Computer" and choose Properties from the menu. When the dialog box appears, click on the Properties Tab. Now click the "Virtual Memory" button. Click the radio button next to "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings." In the
minimum box, type 300 (or a higher number, depending on your system). Click OK, then OK again. Let Windows restart your computer.
Solution Windows 2000/XP: Right click on "My Computer" and chooose properties from the menu. When teh dialog box appears, click on the Adavanced tab. Click the performance button. Look at teh amount of memory in the Virtual memory box. If the amount is below 300Mb click change. Set the original to 300Mb and the maximum to 300+Mb. Click OK, then OK and finally OK again. Let Windows restart your computer.
Solution provided by: Sazerac and WillowIX

6.10) Tip for the Windows swap file
Problem: The game runs slow.
Solution: On the windows swap file issue, I have seen dramatic results by setting a fixed size swap file instead of letting windows dynamicly resize things on the fly. Usually its a trade off..if you have lots of disk space its worth the time to fix the size at 2 or 3 times your memory. Set the swap files min and max to the same number. Depending on the amount of memory you have. I have 256MB memory and have the swap file set at 768meg min and max. What this does is it frees the OS from constantly
reshuffeling the swapfile size, this frees up a lot of cpu time and IO access time. So multiply your memory by 2 or 3 and set the min and max to that number. It really does help.
Solution provided by: MagiK

[ 08-01-2002, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 07-31-2002, 11:54 AM   #23
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

6) Windows Issues

2000/XP
Save the open file in Vdub with the "Save old-format AVI" option with a new file name (such as mask1.avi). You should see some strange graphics appear; you will get back a large 32MB file. Now exit Virtualdub and then in Windows Explorer rename the new file from mask1.avi to townmsk1.avi (over the old file - say Yes to the "Do you want to replace" dialog box). Do the same procedure to the other two town mask files (townmsk2.avi and townmsk3.avi) changing the initial save names as appropriate.

Does this HELP visually to make the problems easier to spot AND to make the recognition bit different from the problems/solutions

[ 07-31-2002, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Wyvern ]
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 05:59 PM   #24
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

The Red is hard for me to read. I think it's too dark on a green background. Can it be a few shades lighter or is the pallet too limited?
Old 07-31-2002, 06:05 PM   #25
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

6) Windows Issues

2000/XP

This choice any better?? (I thought the red was a bit too dark too)

(go away Red, you can bounce later)

[ 07-31-2002, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Wyvern ]
Old 07-31-2002, 06:11 PM   #26
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

MUCH Better...

The layout looks Great!!!

One other question....are there going to be any of the ....Ooops, I forgot to pick up my party.....Type of solutions, posted in this thread?
Old 07-31-2002, 06:22 PM   #27
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Good thought, Packrat!

Those probably should be included since that's a problem players run into from time to time. As this all begins to really come together we should be able to spot and add the few things that might have been missed and need including.

Wyv
Old 07-31-2002, 06:43 PM   #28
Packrat
Drizzt Do'Urden

Maybe Bungleau, should squeeze another couple of lines in the...'How to find your answers', or 'You wanna know what' sections.
Something like....It will be a little easier to find solutions, if you know what Operating System you are using.

I wouldn't want someone running 98/ME to think they need to use Vdub, just because they forgot their party.

[ 07-31-2002, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: Packrat ]
Old 07-31-2002, 10:29 PM   #29
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Gimme thoughts, Packrat, gimme thoughts. My brain's a little tapped out right now, so please don't worry about hurting my feelings

As for misusing the tips, hopefully the posts will be explicit enough to tell you when it matters (or doesn't matter) for you. We'll have to wait and review Detah's work for that.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 06:21 AM   #30
WillowIX
Apophis

Is your background in here green Packray? LOL, IŽll change the color to pink (I really liked that one). The virtualdub fix has a (win2000/XP) after it right? Otherwise IŽll put one of those in there. And Bungleau, all the info is in dxdiag, OS, swap size, dx version, sound/graphics card, driver versions. All you need is to run that and youŽll get all the info by going through the different tabs. And if we add "forgot picking up party", where do I put it in the index? Along with directx or? I need help!!!!

ps. I inserted a horisontal line. Does it help or not?

[ 08-01-2002, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]