Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-31-2001, 02:33 AM   #11
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Bumping for Moridin. Hey where did you put that hammer BTW?

------------------
"Check the sustain on this one ... aaaaaaaa, I mean you could go out for a bite and there'd still be aaaaaaaaa"

"Can I touch it?"
"No. It can't be played"
"Can I look at it?
"No we've seen enough of that one....."

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!
Old 03-31-2001, 02:54 AM   #12
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

damn... damn you... hehe

------------------

I...AM...BAHAMUT...AND IT IS YOU PEOPLE...I FEAR
Old 03-31-2001, 01:00 PM   #13
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Bumping for Moridin. Hey where did you put that hammer BTW?

Hammer? What Hammer?

A bit more on my trip to London........

The trip didn't start all that well. We were delayed at the airport, because one of the emergency slides on the door was malfunctioning so we had to wait 3 hours while the mechanics (same ones that are going on strike in May ) replaced it. I was then stuck (literally) next to a huge man that tried to convert me to 'Christianity' for 7 f***ing hours! I consider everyone's religious beliefs to be their own and as long as it makes them happy, I am fine, but DO NOT try to convert me (especially if you are a moron that knows less about your religion than me, an atheist)!

Anyway....I made it into London early on Wednesday. Spent all day Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday sight-seeing and pub-crawling. Can anyone tell me why the Pubs close at 11:30 in London? Not even so much as a last call. They flipped on the lights at 11:00 and yelled for everyone to finish up and get out. The first night we were sitting with a group of young Argentinans (in London for some university trip, with their professor). When the lights went on at 11:00, this old professor (I swear he must have been 80!) starts yelling at the top of his lungs in Spanish (my friend translated) about how the pubs in London are shitty. That they should have stayed in Argentina where at least you can drink all night and are not forced out by some f***ing bartender! Finally his students settled him down and we left to find a late-night disco to pacify the old man. It really was the funniest thing I saw even though I didn't understand a world the guy was saying

On Friday night I was lucky enough to get tickets to Les Miserables. I have seen Les Mis 8 times around the US and Canada and I have longed to see it in London, where it opened almost 16 years ago. So to finally have the chance was a dream come true (Ok I am pathetic ).

The next big 'bonus' of the trip was being able to see Tony Blair! I was outside Downing Street (they have it gated off for obvious reasons) and there were TV crews outside the PM's house. I asked one of the gaurds what they were there for and he told me that Mr. Blair was about to leave. So I waited around for nearly 20 minutes until he finally came out. He gave a quick interview to the TV crew and hopped in his car. I was at the gate that he was exiting and was fortunate enough to have the car stop right in front of me. The driver and the guard exchanged a few words and I snapped a couple of quick photos

Those are the big highlights of the trip, but I may post more later!

------------------

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant,
than open it and remove all doubt!
Old 03-31-2001, 02:14 PM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
Hammer? What Hammer?

A bit more on my trip to London........

The trip didn't start all that well. We were delayed at the airport, because one of the emergency slides on the door was malfunctioning so we had to wait 3 hours while the mechanics (same ones that are going on strike in May ) replaced it. I was then stuck (literally) next to a huge man that tried to convert me to 'Christianity' for 7 f***ing hours! I consider everyone's religious beliefs to be their own and as long as it makes them happy, I am fine, but DO NOT try to convert me (especially if you are a moron that knows less about your religion than me, an atheist)!

By Moridins Haaamehr! Ya dorn't ramemberh?

Aww c'mon, the big guy sounds like he was only wanting you to share his joy! He gains nothing if you convert!

(I've never done that to you though have I Mori?)

It's a difficult thing - balancing busting a gut with the desire to share something really cool, and respecting anothers right to 'silence'. (For want of a better word)

------------------
"Check the sustain on this one ... aaaaaaaa, I mean you could go out for a bite and there'd still be aaaaaaaaa"

"Can I touch it?"
"No. It can't be played"
"Can I look at it?

Old 03-31-2001, 02:18 PM   #15
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:

Anyway....I made it into London early on Wednesday. Spent all day Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday sight-seeing and pub-crawling. Can anyone tell me why the Pubs close at 11:30 in London? Not even so much as a last call. They flipped on the lights at 11:00 and yelled for everyone to finish up and get out. The first night we were sitting with a group of young Argentinans (in London for some university trip, with their professor). When the lights went on at 11:00, this old professor (I swear he must have been 80!) starts yelling at the top of his lungs in Spanish (my friend translated) about how the pubs in London are shitty. That they should have stayed in Argentina where at least you can drink all night and are not forced out by some f***ing bartender! Finally his students settled him down and we left to find a late-night disco to pacify the old man. It really was the funniest thing I saw even though I didn't understand a world the guy was saying

On Friday night I was lucky enough to get tickets to Les Miserables. I have seen Les Mis 8 times around the US and Canada and I have longed to see it in London, where it opened almost 16 years ago. So to finally have the chance was a dream come true (Ok I am pathetic ).

The next big 'bonus' of the trip was being able to see Tony Blair! I was outside Downing Street (they have it gated off for obvious reasons) and there were TV crews outside the PM's house. I asked one of the gaurds what they were there for and he told me that Mr. Blair was about to leave. So I waited around for nearly 20 minutes until he finally came out. He gave a quick interview to the TV crew and hopped in his car. I was at the gate that he was exiting and was fortunate enough to have the car stop right in front of me. The driver and the guard exchanged a few words and I snapped a couple of quick photos

Those are the big highlights of the trip, but I may post more later!

The experience with the old dude sounds very funny I can picture it now. Glad you got to see Mr. Blair and Les Mis too. Sounds like you had a ball Moridin!

------------------

"Can I touch it?"
"No. It can't be played"
"Can I look at it?

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 03-31-2001).]
Old 03-31-2001, 07:37 PM   #16
Wah
Symbol of Cyric

Snap Snap! Mr Blair is a camera classic!!

------------------

Greetings mortals, my name is Wah, Arch Lich Wah.
Old 03-31-2001, 09:16 PM   #17
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

Moridin: How wonderful your trip sounds! Do you feel like you actually got to vacation? You left your troubles and worries behind? Your description of London is as interesting as Yorick's ventures have sounded. Is there more to tell?

I hope all was well on the home front when you returned.

------------------

Sometimes I think I
understand everything,
then I regain consciousness.
Old 04-01-2001, 04:09 AM   #18
Epona
Zartan

Moridin,
Glad you had a good time. I agree with you about pub closing times, but take my word for it, not ALL pubs close at 11 - some have a 'lock in' where they close all the curtains, lock the doors to make it look like the pub is closed, but continue serving drinks. When you want to leave you have to ask the bartender to let you out, and no new customers are allowed in. You just have to know which pubs!! This is of course completely illegal and there are tough penalties for landlords who get raided by the police after hours (including losing their license), so not many pubs take the risk. I have on occasion been until 5am in a 'lock-in' and still with no sign that the bar would stop serving.

It's a bit of a nuisance about the foot & mouth thing - the 'official' line is that the countryside is not closed, that most tourist attractions are open, and that you can still go walking as long as you don't go into fields where livestock are kept etc. But in reality, this is just propaganda - most footpaths are closed, and loads of tourist attractions have not been open for weeks, even in unaffected areas. (Epona speaking in a personal capacity only! Wouldn't want to go losing my job now, would I!)

I personally love travel, although I have not had as much opportunity to as I would like, being a bit short of cash and only with limited leave from work, *sigh*

I do like to get away to see other cultures and people as much as I can though. And crossing your first major road in a new country is always a good test of how well you can adapt to other cultures! My most scary experience with traffic was in Cairo - talk about gridlock! In Britain, we are used to pedestrian crossings where the traffic actually stops - it comes as a bit of a shock when you first travel to countries (most that I have been to) where stopping at a pedestrian crossing is kind of optional for drivers! Anyway, the only way to get across the road in Cairo is to just step out into the traffic. This is how Egyptians do it, you just have to learn not to be scared stepping out into six lanes of traffic. The average traffic speed in central Cairo is about 4 miles per hour, so you are at no risk of being hit, most of the time at intersections no traffic moves for ages anyway, the cars sort of weave in and out of each other and so do the pedestrians!

I really loved Egypt btw - I don't think I have ever come across more friendly, welcoming people - I would really recommend visiting.

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas.