Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-02-2003, 12:08 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

A while ago, we bought a second HD and along with it came Windows XP. Which resulted in Windows ME getting our C Drive, with 40gig, and XP being installed on our D, with 80gig. This way, half the family continued to use ME, while the other half prefered XP.
But after another Windows Update, ME suddenly became unusable.. The screen went back to 640*480/256 colors, and the mouse drivers became inoperable. So, I re-installed ME, but with no effect at all.
Now, since we use the Evaluation copy of XP, and have only 7 days left( ), its important to fix this problem on short notice...
Any suggestions?
Old 02-02-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

You need to be more specific about what happens, but it seems that your drivers got messed up. However, that doesn't explain why a reinstall of ME didn't fix it. Did you reformat your C: drive and do a clean install of ME?
In the future I suggest you always use the option to archive your previous settings when you use windows update, then you can do a roll-back.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 02-02-2003, 02:39 PM   #3
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
A while ago, we bought a second HD and along with it came Windows XP. Which resulted in Windows ME getting our C Drive, with 40gig, and XP being installed on our D, with 80gig. This way, half the family continued to use ME, while the other half prefered XP.
But after another Windows Update, ME suddenly became unusable.. The screen went back to 640*480/256 colors, and the mouse drivers became inoperable. So, I re-installed ME, but with no effect at all.
Now, since we use the Evaluation copy of XP, and have only 7 days left( ), its important to fix this problem on short notice...
Any suggestions?
XP won't willingly coexist with an earlier version of windows, fortunately there is a fix. http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm
Old 02-02-2003, 09:28 PM   #4
Blade
Emerald Dragon

well if you had the inclination you could get XP and be done with it. But then again i prefer XP and this might not be a option. If nothing elece format C: and reinstall from scratch with drivers and all, fixes problems like that for me all the time, you can just dump all your info you want to keep onto the 2nd drive so you don't loose anything too.

[ 02-02-2003, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Blade ]
Old 02-02-2003, 09:57 PM   #5
Jeffi0
Zhentarim Guard

You could buy XP and the people who like ME can just use XP's mimic to use ME.
<br /><br />[url]\"http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=010302</a> First 8-Bit Theater comic. The first few aren\'t really funny, but the rest are great.