Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2003, 03:35 AM   #41
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by lethoso:
just out of interest yorick, seeing as you most likely have a better idea of this than me, how much does and artist make off the sale of a cd?

and also, how has live concert attendance/profits gone since the proliferation of mp3s on the internet....
They make more off a CD than they do an mp3 download. Don't be using the paltry 8% - 15% an artist gets as an excuse to steal their work. Most of the money goes to the INVESTOR. That is normal for capitalism.

Live concerts are not a significant source of income for original songwriting artists. Many bands pay to play. I, like many other artists, run my show at a loss for example. Live work is viewed as a way to promote ones recordings.

For covers bands it's different, but they're playing other peoples songs.

http://www.hughwilson.com
Old 01-31-2003, 03:38 AM   #42
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
Same with file sharing. It's prime use is illegal theft of artists work. Should be shut down.
It is extremely popular is it not? Are you angered by the file-sharing or the artist not getting paid?

Why not take monetary advantage of that popularity and from the gains give the artist their just due?

Filesharing is the new recording industry.. it just doesn't know it yet.
[/QUOTE]I applauded ISPs having to pay a fee as a way for artists to be compensated, but people howled me down. It seems people demand the right to steal artists work. I don't get it. These are fans? How does a fan steal someones music?

Filesharing is NOT the new recording industry (industry being the missing word), unless it does find a way to distribute compensation back to the investor and the artist there will be no industry that creates recordings.

Old 01-31-2003, 03:43 AM   #43
Blade
Emerald Dragon

regarding file sharing what about thoes of us who want to watch tv shows that are not aired in the us? I paersonally watch a lot of anime and most of the stuff i really like doesn't even get released in the us. Thoes i do like are $30 a pice 0_o and a box set of 26 eps is around $100. It's file sharing too, unlicenced in the us, because it posibly can be at some point does that mean it should be illigal as well? Regarding the anime i do d/l usually it takes YEARS for it to be released in the us, thats for the really popular stuff. I mean for instince DBZ was made in the 80's. Some of the new ones on dvd in the us aired 2-3 years ago over in Japan. P2P progams should really regulate what is allowed in my opinion though, i mean look at the market potential and you could pay the artists directly as well without the middle man taking in an axorbantly large amount of money.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:44 AM   #44
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I once spoke to one idiot moronic kid in r/l who started whinging about how the records producer was unnecessary. He used that as justification for stealing mp3s. "Why can't the band just do it" he retorted.

He did not want to know that the producer is PART of the creative process, not a record company crony. The producer might be a bandmember, or the engineer, or an objective outsider. In any case, the producer is the reason a CD sounds the way it does. He was arguing about removing the most important player from the field. All to justify his demands for freebies.

Old 01-31-2003, 03:46 AM   #45
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
I applauded ISPs having to pay a fee as a way for artists to be compensated, but people howled me down. It seems people demand the right to steal artists work. I don't get it. These are fans? How does a fan steal someones music?

Filesharing is NOT the new recording industry (industry being the missing word), unless it does find a way to distribute compensation back to the investor and the artist there will be no industry that creates recordings.
Unless being the key word.

Make that unless into a reality.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:50 AM   #46
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
I once spoke to one idiot moronic kid in r/l who started whinging about how the records producer was unnecessary. He used that as justification for stealing mp3s. "Why can't the band just do it" he retorted.

He did not want to know that the producer is PART of the creative process, not a record company crony. The producer might be a bandmember, or the engineer, or an objective outsider. In any case, the producer is the reason a CD sounds the way it does. He was arguing about removing the most important player from the field. All to justify his demands for freebies.
Producers are all well and good. Definetly an integral part of the process of music creation. George Martin wasn't he the fifth Beatle?

But filesharing is about distrabution.

[ 01-31-2003, 03:51 AM: Message edited by: Djinn Raffo ]
Old 01-31-2003, 03:52 AM   #47
lethoso
Manshoon

Quote:
I applauded ISPs having to pay a fee as a way for artists to be compensated, but people howled me down. It seems people demand the right to steal artists work. I don't get it. These are fans? How does a fan steal someones music?
[/QB]
well imo this is a totally stupid idea simply becuase of the logistics involved, how the hell do people paying this levy know the money is getting to the artist and not the the recording ocmpanies? and how do you determine who pays how much levy? and if in place (and assuming money does go to artists), how do you determine which artist gets what?

also, with the whole live music and profitability concerns, the rolling stones have made themselves very filthy rich by touring an awful lot, much moreso than they did with their record sales, i realise this is just an example, but it shows how it can work well....

maybe its just your approach that prevents you from profiting from your live work?
Old 01-31-2003, 04:03 AM   #48
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Quote:
quote:
well imo this is a totally stupid idea simply becuase of the logistics involved, how the hell do people paying this levy know the money is getting to the artist and not the the recording ocmpanies? and how do you determine who pays how much levy? and if in place (and assuming money does go to artists), how do you determine which artist gets what?

also, with the whole live music and profitability concerns, the rolling stones have made themselves very filthy rich by touring an awful lot, much moreso than they did with their record sales, i realise this is just an example, but it shows how it can work well....

maybe its just your approach that prevents you from profiting from your live work?[/QB][/QUOTE]To play online Ultima or Everquest don't you have to pay for it? And PS2 or X-Box online.. you have to pay for those as well right?

Monthly fee to use the program to download music with, that is one possible way.. memberships have a setup cost as well as monthly fee or bandwidth usage tracking cost of some kind..

Where there is a will there is a way.. and if money is to be made then their always seems to be a way.

To ensure the money gets to the artists well thats up to the company charging for use of the program.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:10 AM   #49
lethoso
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
To play online Ultima or Everquest don't you have to pay for it? And PS2 or X-Box online.. you have to pay for those as well right?

Monthly fee to use the program to download music with, that is one possible way.. memberships have a setup cost as well as monthly fee or bandwidth usage tracking cost of some kind..

Where there is a will there is a way.. and if money is to be made then their always seems to be a way.

To ensure the money gets to the artists well thats up to the company charging for use of the program.[/QB]
what you are talking about is entirely different to isps having to pay a levy to the recording industry....
Old 01-31-2003, 04:10 AM   #50
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
quote:

maybe its just your approach that prevents you from profiting from your live work?[/QB][/QUOTE]The same way we know that license fees TV stations, radio stations, clothing stores etc. go to songwriters silly-billy It already happens, just not on the net and not for recordings (only for the SONG, so the writer gets paid, not the artist or players or producer or record company etc. Unlucky for you if you're a writing member of a band but didn't write the only song that was a hit and got played everywhere....