Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 03:21 AM   #11
Eagle eye
Elminster

Not quite fantasy, but John Wyndham has some good books - Day of the Triffids, The Kraken Wakes.
Eagle eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:49 PM   #12
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Again, thanks for all the suggestions. I've ploughed through all the titles/authors so far, and I'm thinking Sara Douglass so far. Anybody else read her books? Anyone to back up Luvian's recommendation?
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 03:59 PM   #13
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Unfortunately, she isn't known very well outside of Australia. A little like George R.R. Martin when I was harassing everyone to read it. In the case of Sara Douglass, I think most people are less interested in fantasy stories writen by women, and also because of the trouble she got with her American release. The editor misnamed the books! He named the first book "Wayfarer: Redemption" While it's really the name of the second trilogy. The second editor got it right. That's why I gave you a link, so that you could get the real titles right.

But I found this interesting review from a random guy on the net. I cut the part about what's happening in the story, as one of the nicest part is the transition in the story. Just keep in mind that the guy that wrote the review also like me bought the misnamed book. Also, back when he wrote it, not all the novels were available. They are now.

Quote:
I was first introduced to the The Wayfarer Redemption by a pushy salesman in a bookstore. I was browsing in the Sci-Fi/ Fantasy aisle, minding my own business when a salesman rushes up to me, grabs the book and thrusts it into my face. I didn’t know whether to listen to what he had to say, or make a run for it. He went on to ooze his enthusiasm for the book all over me until I bought the damn thing just to get him to leave me alone. Now I’m glad I did.
The first of six books, The Wayfarer Redemption draws the reader in, takes them for a wild ride, then leaves them bruised and breathless (and wanting more!). The well rounded characters and adventurous storyline enthralls the reader until they are addicted and willing to pay anything for the next installment. It’s a heavy read at over 600 pages and the amount of detail forces the reader to read slowly and deeply. This is not a book you can just skim over and get the general idea. And why would you want to? Read the book slowly and enjoy it.
...cut...
I had never read any books by Sara Douglass before this one, and I am happy these books have been released in America. Douglass is the most popular Australian author and I can certainly see why. This book is so well written, it’s impossible not to finish, even if you do not like the story line. Douglass’ writing style is so in depth, the reader feels a kinship with the characters. To be honest, while reading this book, I sometimes felt like I was the character. Whatever the character felt, I felt. Yes, I was that involved.
Douglass’ character development is so in depth, the reader feels a kinship with each one, even the bad ones. She allows the reader to see the characters triumphs and heartaches and because the story is told from numerous viewpoints, the reader knows each characters desires and fears.
For example, one of the main characters, Axis, is riddled with doubt about who he is, let alone what his purpose is. His past is clouded and full of lies and he must wade through them to find the truth. His bravery and leadership skills sets him above the other warriors, yet his sensitivity and musical abilities creates an aura of mystery.
Faraday, though young and innocent, quickly grows up and risks everything for loyalty and honor. She also must put aside the lies told to her from childhood and seek out the truth.
Every character in this book must find the strength to abandon all that is familiar to them and learn to step out into the unknown. Their plight made me, the reader, question my own ‘security blankets’. How would I have reacted if I were in their situation? Would I be able to find the level of bravery that Axis needed to fight the battle and win the war? Would I have shown such wisdom? Would I be prepared to make the same sacrifices as Faraday?
The only downside to starting this series is that all of the books are not released in America. The paperback for the third installment, Starman is due to release in January, so it kind of doesn’t pay to start the series now if you are not a patient person.
Would I recommend this book to others? Yes! Buy it and read it slowly numerous times! When you read the book a second time, you will notice things that you missed the first time around. I’ve read this book twice and it is just as good the second time around.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:43 PM   #14
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Terry Goodkind, has a nice long series, each book in his series are different too, vastly in a few, keeps it interesting. [img]smile.gif[/img] I think the series is the Sword of Truth series? I think Wizard's First Rule is the first book. (sorry, been awhile, I'm so far into the series now) [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 10-21-2004, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: ladyzekke ]

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 12:26 AM   #15
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

yeah.. thats my favorite sci fic novel as well lady Z. i would highly recomend it.

a few books that came out recently was also made my raymond e feist. it tells of the intricate workings of the conclave of shadows. i forgot the title of it though.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 02:37 AM   #16
Aerich
Lord Ao

What's this? A chance to promote my favourite authors? Joy!!

Jane Lindskold - fairly new author I've picked up - bought the first one on a whim, now have gone through three. (Through Wolf's Eyes; Wolf's Head, Wolf's Heart; Dragon of Despair)

Terry Pratchett - funny, fairly light, makes you think. I second the recommendation. I own every single Discworld book except the most recent one, which hasn't come out in softcover yet. And I've read each one at least 3 times, some of them 10+. Awesome author. Plenty of material, as there's 25+ Discworld books, as well as his other works, which are also golden.

Steven Brust - fantastic - interesting magic system, interesting society, great writer, especially in the literary sense. He's my favourite writer in the world at least 55% of the time. Check out the Vlad Taltos books (Jhereg, Yendi, Teckla, Taltos, Phoenix, Athyra, Orca, Dragon, Issola). Another great series of his - same world but earlier in history, is the Khaavren Romances (Phoenix Guards, Five Hundred Years After, Paths of the Dead, Lord of Castle Black, Sethra Lavode).
Old 10-25-2004, 09:32 PM   #17
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I've recently picked up some David Gemmell books. The first was "Hero in the Shadows". I found it very good. I've since picked up 2 or 3 more of his books. They were also good!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:00 AM   #18
Maj
Drow Warrior

Good fantasy author's are hard to come by. I agree with the recomendation of The Chronicles of Narnia, which I really enjoyed, and read a long time ago.

Personaly my favorite author is Charles De Lint. I strongly recomend you give one of his books a try. I started with Someplace to be Flying, but can suggest any other of his books.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:11 AM   #19
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

WOW I found another Sara Douglass Fan. Since Im in Australia her books are easy to come by. The Axis Trilogy (Battle Axe, Enchanter, Starman) are really fantasic reads.

The Wayfarers Redemption (Sinner, Pilgrim, Crusader) takes the next characters and really gives us some indepth looks into their past and their future.

Her next set of books The Crucible takes an alternate look in to Eurpoean history (along with alternate looks into Devils and Angels)

Also the Troy game which is her current series takes an alternate look into the history of the Aegean and how it has shaped modern day england.

Visit her website

http://www.saradouglass.com/

Cheers!
Old 10-27-2004, 02:50 AM   #20
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by T-D-C:
WOW I found another Sara Douglass Fan. Since Im in Australia her books are easy to come by. The Axis Trilogy (Battle Axe, Enchanter, Starman) are really fantasic reads.

The Wayfarers Redemption (Sinner, Pilgrim, Crusader) takes the next characters and really gives us some indepth looks into their past and their future.

Her next set of books The Crucible takes an alternate look in to Eurpoean history (along with alternate looks into Devils and Angels)

Also the Troy game which is her current series takes an alternate look into the history of the Aegean and how it has shaped modern day england.

Visit her website

http://www.saradouglass.com/

Cheers!
Yes, I'm reading the Troy game right now. I can't wait for the next one!