Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2004, 01:52 PM   #11
Jorath Calar
Harper

I studied all night... and havn't slept yet... now on my 20th hour... without a sleep...
Old 03-18-2004, 02:14 PM   #12
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Six, it is my oh-so-humble opinion that any person teaching an art or theatre-related class should be laid-back, easygoing, and much less organized than the students themselves. That professor of yours sounds downright sadistic... I feel for ya. We all have a professor like that at some point.
But theatre? She's cheapening the entire thing!
Ugh.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Old 03-18-2004, 02:17 PM   #13
philip
Galvatron

Today I went snowboarding with some friends so I had to cycle a bit. Why is it that like 5 cars in a row don't indicate that they'll be taking the turn which I want to cross. I got hit nearly by 2 cars in a row who refuse to use their lights. Stupid f___s

So I was snowboarding for my first time and I was going down the starter piste. Some people who got a trip of their job and were obviously a lot more experienced decided it would be cool to show off at the same piste. So I go down (quite fast cause I didn't do any turns when I got lower) and suddenly this guy comes from my back and is like skiing only 1-2 inches next to my board. Others who couldn't ski and were taken some class decided to go watch in the middle of the piste. WTF are they thinking, left and right parts of the piste for classes and some stupids in the middle of it. And of course they aren't giving much room. How stupid can you be giving not more than a meter of room and standing with a whole group all over the piste. None of them even apologises if you are angry at them.

And they'll always tell you boarders are so uncareful, seems to be the opposite. Every boarder I saw there was at least twice as careful, waiting and giving room before they go, apologise for everything even for only small things and helping if they could.

It was a great day though and I had lots of fun. At least I didn't do any of the boring classes [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2004, 02:24 PM   #14
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Rev, hehe a friend of mine did one better and had he been caught there would have been some serious trouble. He basically kicked the persons passenger door in, it was barely sealing the passenger side of the car when he was through. He had to get in his car through the sun roof due to a wall being on his passenger side. The person that parked next to him parked very close and on an angle ta boot. So my buddy backed his car out and then proceeded to reek havoc. He showed me the pictures lol and he said he even left a polaroid of the "bird" attached to the guys wiper.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:06 PM   #15
Arledrian
Egyptian Goddess of the Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Lightweight [img]tongue.gif[/img]
I partied aaaaallll night and I haven't slept yet [img]tongue.gif[/img]
You wanna watch yerself, old girl - I have a bladder and I'm not afraid to use it. I only hope you have a spare drawer for me

But yeah, it does seem like my problem is a little trivial compared to, say, Revruby's. Then again a hangover is never a bed of roses either really.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:11 PM   #16
Cienden
Manshoon

I hate droopy-drawer scum kids walking in the street when there's a perfectly acceptable sidewalk. It takes a lot of teeth grinding to avoid smearing their sorry, worthless rears into the pavement under my tires.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:53 PM   #17
Nerull
Lord Ao

My gripe is with my work. I work with mostly women. Well, they like to come up with "fun little things" to do to liven things up. Well, a few weeks back, they come up with the idea of everyone turning in a baby picture, then they post them anonymously and submits their guesses. The winner gets a gift certificate to a local restaurant. Well, I refused to participate, stating (truthfully) that I had no pictures of myself as a baby. I don't speak to my father and my mother lost her copies in a fire, so nothing to turn in. Also, I wasn't all that terribly interested in participating (just didn't appeal to me). Finally, I ate at that restaurant only one time, and got bad food poisoning, so absolutely refuse to eat at the place. So, I declined to participate. I might as well have farted in the middle of the room. It became this big deal to all of them, that I would not participate in their idea that they spent time coming up with.

Well, a couple weeks after that, my yearly review came up (which determines my raise for the year). I sit in the room with my boss, her boss, and her boss's boss (all women, specifically the ones that came up with the baby picture idea), and get told how great a job I am doing, and how good I am at training people, helping others with problems that occur along the way, etc. Then, they have the gall (after telling me how well I was doing on those things) to tell me that I need to work on my teamwork and participation, and knocked me down a notch on my raise for it. I was pissed! They cut down my review rating just because they got their feelings hurt because I didn't participate in their little idea, even after explaining to them why I didn't. And then they wonder why I don't like dealing with them beyond a work relationship.

Oh, and yesterday was real fun, too. I don't own any green clothing (I just don't have any), so I just wore regular clothes to work for St. Patrick's Day. ALL DAY LONG, I took abuse about not wearing green. Every time any of them walked by, they started crap with me "don't you know you are supposed to wear green today" and roll their eyes or express their disappointment). There's one that was especially obnoxious about it, and I finally just told her that if she was willing to go buy me a green shirt then I'd wear the thing (sarcastically, of course). Her answer: "I'm not buying you anything. You should KNOW that you need a green shirt on St. Patty's Day". I guess maybe she thought I would roll over, but I just asked her, "are you so pathetic that you have to try to make people feel bad just to feel good about yourself?" She done nothing but give me dirty looks since, but she's kept her mouth shut, which is really all that I wanted. The others pretty much backed off, too.

Still, I don't like this work situation, and am going to be looking for a new job when the semester ends (speaking of semesters, sorry to hear about your class, Six. I've had jerk instructors like that, and what infuriates you the most is that there is very little you can do about it but take it).
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Old 03-19-2004, 12:23 AM   #18
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Doesn't sound like a good situation, Nerull... but ya know, there *IS* a good response to the wearing green thing, doncha? Simply smile wryly and say, "oh, but I AM wearing green. Just... not where you can see it." Then grin, turn around, and resume what you were doing.

Worst that can happen is you get told to prove it, which you can respond back would be sexual harassment. And it's probably about time for a new job anyway, as you've pointed out.

I had one professor, to add to Six's gripe, that hated me. Not me personally, just what I stood for. She was the foreign languages department head and also a Spanish instructor. I was a French major and Spanish minor, and French was definitely my first (and preferred language. I was also good friends with the French professor, who she didn't particularly like. And to top it off, my approach toward languages is not rote memorization -- it's to associate words and frankify or spanify them (or whatever other language.

For example, she gave a Spanish translation test. I had to translate "the girl is attractive". I couldn't remember the word for attractive, so I wrote "la chica es attractiva". She wanted "hermosa" instead, so SINCE I MIS-SPELLED ATTRACTIVA (one T, not two), she marked it 100% wrong.

I later had a conversational Spanish final where we had to talk for a couple of minutes in front of the class. I worked harder on that than anything else in that class, practicing the tale of a trip to Hawai'i that I had taken. She gave me a B+, which was the highest grade she could give me and still drop me to an A- for the course. Most of the rest of the class was shocked, because I had done much better than that. I chalked it up to the Dragon Lady at that point, because I was almost out and it wouldn't really matter any more.

So, you're not alone. Just remember... you'll be able to leave and make your mark on the world, and that prof will still be stuck in their miserable little hole...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:33 AM   #19
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Cienden:
I hate droopy-drawer scum kids walking in the street when there's a perfectly acceptable sidewalk. It takes a lot of teeth grinding to avoid smearing their sorry, worthless rears into the pavement under my tires.
I'll be sure to not get in your way next time....
Old 03-19-2004, 01:44 AM   #20
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

My gripe is that beer costs money. How am I supposed to pay my bills when those damn pubs keep charging me for my beer? It's just not fair!

... or even MORE logically, how am I supposed to afford my beer when those damn phone and power companies keep sending me BILLS????!!!

[ 03-19-2004, 01:48 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]