Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2001, 06:45 PM   #1
Gwayne
Zhentarim Guard

Any of you have any good tactics on taking Mr.Draconis out?
He's one tuff Mother! I havent beat him yet.I must have tried 50+ times
to no avail!! I'll eventually figure it out but if any of you have some
good tactics please post them I'm curiouse to know how some of you beat
the Green Beasty

------------------

Gwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 07:04 PM   #2
Xod
Zhentarim Guard

I used a mage-heavy party and casted many Mordenkainen's Swords. They only last one round/level, but are virtually immune to physical damage (great against Fire Giants), so they can tank like nothing else. While they kept him busy (after using up all his death spells), I nailed him with lower resists and Abi-Dalzims (many of them).

------------------

"This place will be your tomb."
Xod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 07:44 PM   #3
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

spoiler alert!
no offense, but I found Draconis to be a big bad sissy. I moped the floor with him on my first try, then cleaned out Abzigal's lair and Abzigal himself without resting inbetween. then I went on to defeat Balthazar and finish the final challenge in the Pocket Plane. all this without resting and never had to reload. and since I was feeling over-powerfull, I thought, 'heck, let's give it a try' and I just entered the Throne of Bhaal. I managed to defeat Melissan, then killed the first guardian, defeated Melissan again and defeated the second guardian. but then I have completely run out of useful spells and the third fight with Melissan got really, really, REALLY hard without having any Summon and Simulacrum spells left. so I just reloaded to the pocket plain, rested and went in to finish the job... she wasn't even a challenge, the final fight lasted about ten seconds.
but I'm kinda off topic here...

back to Draconis - just summon as many creatures as you can, and absolutely summon a Planetar or a Deva. be prepared to summon another one in-battle if the first one get's killed. also get any possible Elementals (Greater Elemental Summon works the best of course , Golems (you do have the Golem Manual, don't you?), Berserker Warriors (if you have the Iron Horn of Valhalla from SoA), cast Simulacrum on all your mages... if you have Vhailor's Helm (another SoA item) you can use it to have one of your fighters cast Simulacrum - get an extra lvl 20+ fighter. also don't forget your fighters' special abilities (whirlwind attack, smite, deathstrike...).
then once he turns into a dragon, be sure to cast a Breach spell once in a while, as he like to use Stoneskin, also use Lower Resistance and Greater Malison to increase the effectivnes of your magic attacks. Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting does crazy amounts of damage to him, if you get his resistance down.

hope this stuff helps, remember it's also aplicable in any other fight against magic using opponents...
frudi_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 09:59 PM   #4
Leonidas
Dungeon Master

I had trouble with him, too, the first time. When he changes to a dragon, he triggers spell turning, and spell immunity from abjuration. You need to spellstrike (9th lvl) or ruby ray him (8th lvl) before you cast breach. Nothing else will break the immunity. Once you get the immunity down, pierce shield will drop the turning, and lower his magic resistance a bit. I hope that you have hardiness abilities for your tanks from there on out, and a few death wards, it will help.

------------------
Be careful! I think it's a tr...
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 12:38 AM   #5
Sagath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

*sigh* I hated this fight. Draconis pre dragon, butter...Then this ugly dragon appears, and starts EATING my party!

Try using Sunstrike, Dispell magic, Spell Thrust/Breach combo. I allways have my mage and mage/thief with them loaded on Spell Triggers (Thrust/Breach that is). But the fight can still get hairy. I hope your Meleers (sp?) have Hardieness, because it will come in handy. That and some Greater whirlwinds or Crit Strikes should wear him down.

Good Luck!
Sagath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 10:26 AM   #6
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

ugh, this guy was HARD! his spell turning crap killed edwin at least 3 times before i learned about it, and im pretty sure he has skins to slow down your fighters. also, hes a BROWN dragon cuz hes breathed on me before, causing yet another reload, and a few more veins popped cuz there is no elemental resistance spell to counter it. ultimately, i used my Whirlwind Spells, and when i used those up i followed with my critical strikes. always make sure to have a Planetar there cuz they have better spells (at least, in my game they did, it might be an error of some sort) than Devas. cast Resist Fear on yourslef, even tho he doesnt use this in dragon form, his human form does and it carries over, scattering your party to the winds. also, use spells such as Chant, Aid, Bless, and the like to have better rolls and stuff. also, after you Spellstrike him, use Horrid Wilting just to rub it in that you weild more powerful magic than he does.

------------------
Proud member of the HADB. And remember, when you're thinking of giant heads, why not think of the Big Giant Head?
SSJ4Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 01:11 PM   #7
Encard
Quintesson

Draconis was quite easy to kill. All I had to do was have a Fallen Planetar, Viconia, and my assassin attack him, and have my main char (a fighter), Sarevok, and Keldorn do this same, but continually use greater whirlwind (power...). Oh, and I think I cast one Horrid Wilting with Edwin. As I said, easy.

------------------
Bow down to the Weasels of Apocalypse! RaBid Fruit Trees! RRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!! Miniature Exploding Demonic Demons of Doom, Death and Desruction!
:1drgat1:
Encard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2001, 01:59 PM   #8
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

or use cntrl y or the death blade.

------------------
Will the real cheesy lich stop using timestop, stop using time stop, YEAH BABY! :1diablo:
Old 07-03-2001, 03:11 PM   #9
Sagath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
or use cntrl y or the death blade.
Boooooo!!!!
Boooo!!
Comon now, change tactics, try new things, go get some exp and level up, and try again.
Games are ment to be challenging, and this one has been beaten by many of us. It can by you too. Try try again.

------------------
Sagath Steelblade. 26th Fighter, LG
Gilimi Silverwing, 27th Monk, LG

Jan: Greetings, Everyone. Sorry, no gifts or souvenirs this time but I'll keep you all in mind the next time I'm gone. Oh, Keldorn: the gods say 'Hi' and that you should wash your underwear more thoroughly. Everyone ready? Let's go adventuring.
Sagath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2001, 02:24 PM   #10
joetbd
Manshoon

"Games are ment to be challenging"

...and FUN. In our continuing quest to whine about how other people play, lets not forget about having fun. Life doesnt always have to be brain surgery.
joetbd is offline   Reply With Quote