Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 09-28-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
bsftcs
Red Dragon

The Sea

Being the twenty-second chapter of Stackman’s adventures

In which a new way of hunting is introduced and in which a few party members decline a quest.

Early next morning the adventurers went down to Buckly’s abode and bought a ship. Not so much because they wanted to use it rather than because it was the prerequisite for their being able to enter the seas beyond Brimloch Roon; the third and final wilderness.

Whilst at Buckly’s shipyard they undertook the conch shell quest. In fact they did not have to. They did not need the money, and they had kept the underwater breathers from a previous game. (If they had needed new breathers they would only have needed three shells to make the underwater breathers due to the fact that the game was unpatched. This they owed to the “infinite shell bug” (which was just another version of the “passing quest item bug”) as explained by Mikeyg123 on Page four of the Best Tips page).

From the shipyard the adventurers went to the wharf where their sturdy ship lay waiting for them. The seas of Brimloch Roon were treacherous, but the party was so heavily protected that no creature of the sea could possibly harm them. They jumped in the warm waters and began to swim.

The wharf of Brimloch Roon was situated in a small lagoon. They spent the morning and part of the afternoon diving the and swimming about, exploring the lagoon. Several sea sharks and crabs o’ the sea lurked in the lukewarm waters lying in wait for the adventurers who quickly finished them off whenever they attacked. Most of the crabs dropped conch shells when killed, and the party could soon have had a fine collection if they had wanted to. (Pickpocketing the shells is one sure way to obtain them).

In the northern part of the lagoon, just north of Brimloch Roon, there was a small grove. The party paused there for a while. Suddenly they were attacked by a band of centaurs led by Argothius which was the centaur Strumbold had sent them out to find. The battle that ensued was swift and hardly worth describing. The zenmaster picked up Strumbold’s helmet which was miraculously not damaged by the firestorm spell he had unleashed upon the horde of centaurs.

They spent the night back in Brimloch Roon, and the next morning they went to Strumbold who commended them for having returned his helmet. They undertook the “Goshin shield quest”, and thus ended the first of three quest given by the warriors guild of Brimloch Roon.

During the next days the adventurers ventured outside the lagoon and explored the southern beaches of the sea. Many inviting groves concealed many fortunes hidden away in treasure chests revealing the favourite pastime of the inhabitants of these shores: Buccaneering.

One day the adventurers came to a point where the southern shoreline turned northward. Just about there they found a marooned shipwreck on the shore. And beside it stood the pirate Talrik. This was the grove where the party’s ship could have been stuck if they had been sailing. (The solution to the stuck ship problem is explained by Wyvern on Page three of the Best Tips).

They gave Talkrik his hook (all six of them ) and had a long talk with him about the pirates of the seas. It turned out he had a treasure map with which he was willing to part, if the party returned to him with the hide of a longtooth, a creature that inhabited the local isles. This the party promised to do. This was the only quest given by NPCs in the Wilderness of Brimloch Roon.

The party now spent several weeks exploring the shores and islands in the vicinity to a point where the sea narrowed to the east and became a small water passage further north. Several treasure chests were found and a number of creatures inhabiting the sea were laid to rest.

One island was much larger than any of the others. The party ventured ashore and were soon attacked by a pack of longtooths (longteeth? ). The bard pickpocketed a hide from one of them before the party finished them off. In fact it would be the perfect humane solution to any hunt, if the hides, furs, and shells of animals could be peeled off them without their noticing.

In a clearing in the middle part of the island a long flight of stairs wound aloft and disappeared into mouth of a giant skull. This was the fabled Skull Castle of local lore. The warlock cast the create portal spell, and the party ventured back to find Talrik.

They found Talrik and gave him the longtooth hide. They got his treasure map, and thus ended the only quest given by NPCs in the Wilderness of Brimloch Roon. The party then teleported back to Brimloch Roon and were rewarded for finishing the Talrik’s hook quest. Thus ended the first of three quest given by the thieves guild of Brimloch Roon.

They now wanted to undertake another quest, but there was a little twist. The next two quests to undertake in the thieves guild were the leprechaun quest and the Talon’s fang quest, but a bug prevented all the characters from undertaking both quests. (As explained by Sazerac on Page four of the Best Tips). The party chose the approach marked “1” by Sazerac. Some party members declined the leprechaun quest and were instead eligible for the Talon’s fang quest.

NPCs encountered:

Talrik reacts to following words:

Secret, Tomb, Cet, Anephas, Pyramid, Collasium, Treasure, Pharaoh, Boat, Pirate, Talrik, Worthy, Crew, Shrine, Bloodbeard, Skull Island, Longtooth, White Flag, Scumbucket, Hide, Black Pirate, Treasure Map, Ship, Breath, Sunken City, Pyramid Tomb.

With “Worthy” being the word that triggers Talrik’s giving the character the longtooth hide quest, and “Treasure Map” being the word that triggers his handing over the map when the quest has been completed.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:11 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Nice.... good reference for those to come.

And I noticed you're on chapter 22. It has gotten harder for me as the game has progressed... I will get one out tonight, but only because I'm posting here that I will, and I won't be able to take it back [img]smile.gif[/img]

Keep 'em coming!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 03:41 PM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Another excellent chapter!!!

They gave Talkrik his hook (all six of them )

Does make you wonder, doesn't it??

Looking forward to the next!!!

Wyv
Old 09-30-2003, 02:44 AM   #4
Olli Kalma

I think everyone should read Stackman's Adventures!
You describe so well all that you do and even link to other posts to explain
bug's and other related things.
It's very usefull to read and remember, tought
there's lot's of 'spoilers' but in good way to them that allready have played W&W trought.

The bard pickpocketed a hide from one of them before the party finished them off. In fact it would be the perfect humane solution to any hunt, if the hides, furs, and shells of animals could be peeled off them without their noticing.

Just wandered, if you can steal spider egg from spider too?
I might try it, when I encounter spider next time.
But like with crabs, you get only one shell per crab.
Wether you steal one and kill it, you get only one
Old 09-30-2003, 08:50 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'll wager you can steal eggs from spiders.

Remember: the difference between killing a creature for its special item and trying to steal it is that with stealing, you can keep trying until you get it. With killing, you only have one shot at it, and you succeed or fail.

So steal away!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 09:50 AM   #6
bsftcs
Red Dragon

I think one can steal everything that a monster or an NPC can drop when killed.

There are some items that will only "materialize" when a certain quest is completed. An example of this is of course the assassin's dagger which will only "materialize" in Scanthril's inventory when the quest to kill Raskalion has been completed (and undertaken first). Other examples are the key and the vampire's ring which will first "materialize" in Adrianna's inventory when she has received the scroll of banishing. If one kills Adrianna before retrieving the scroll she does not drop these items.

Then there is of course the possibility that some of the items of this sort are "quest" items. Killing the trigger triggers the action, and killing a person carrying a quest items prompts his or her dropping the item. Although I have never confirmed it via an experiment I think there may be items that will only "materialize" when a certain quest is completed but at the same time are quest items and will therefore "materialize" and drop to the floor when the holder has been killed. But these items cannot be pickpocketed. Perhaps this might be the case with Kreug's key?
Old 09-30-2003, 03:24 PM   #7
Olli Kalma

Somehow quote didn't work...

bsftcs wrote Other examples are the key and the vampire's ring which will first "materialize" in Adrianna's inventory when she has received the scroll of banishing. If one kills Adrianna before retrieving the scroll she does not drop these items.

Oh... That's why I didn't get that ring at the first time!
I searched allmost half an hour for it!

Now I'm playing evil...
I kill every NCP, I mean everyone...
Ofcourse only after I have gained all that I can from that person [img]smile.gif[/img]

It's good to be evil... Atleast once in your lifetime...