Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-28-2001, 07:34 AM   #1
Cironir

Hello there,

I finally decided that Baldur's Gate II and Icewind Dale are just not for me. They've been sitting here for months now, and I can't bring myself to enjoy or even accept the interface. My game supplier happened to have a copy of W&W, so I picked it up and was quite happy to see that its interface is exactly what I am fond of (probably has to do with Dungeon Master on an Atari ST being my first CRPG ever).

Now, before I "dive into" the game, I have three rather newbie'ish questions. None of them really important, but I'd still be grateful if you folks could help me out.

1) How important is the "proper" distribution of attribute points when the characters are created? The manual lists the minimum requirements and the important attributes for each class. Is it acceptable to equally distribute the available points on these two attributes while neglecting the rest, or are there templates/layouts that are significantly better than others? Or in other words, will mistakes matter later on in the game?

2) After pondering a bit on the various clans and classes, I came up with a party that looks like this: Dwarf warrior (paladin), Whiskah warrior (Samurai), Human warrior (Barbarian), Gnome rogue (Ninja), Oomphaz priest (Monk), Pixie wizard (Warlock). Does this sound feasable?

3) Assuming the above outlined party is acceptable, what should I spend the skill points available during character creation on? (If you suggest a different party, I'd be grateful if you included this information.) Does it matter at all? (I see relatively few to no questions on this topic, so either it's not important, or I am a perfectionist, or this was already discussed when the game came out and I'm just slow =))

Lastly, a hidden fourth question - if you have created characters in the inn, how can you delete them, if at all? (From the inn, not just remove them from the party).

Much thanks in advance!
-C.
Old 03-28-2001, 08:11 AM   #2
carg
The Magister

1) When distributing the points, you can make sure they already qualify for their second class. That way you can switch whenever you like to, in stead of when you finally succeeded in adding enough attribute points at level up.
By the way, there is no reason not to change classes more than once, with the following restrictions: you can't change to the basic classes, and you can't change to a class you've already been.

2) Sounds perfectly workable. This way you put more emphasis on fighting than on magic, but that is a free choice: both are possible. Do take care that your priest learns the vine spell cure poison (level 4), and preferably cure (level 6) before changing to monk, because you won't be able to learn them anymore (at least not easily) after changing. (Unless you decide to switch one character to ranger too.)

3) As you gain skill points too at level up, you can always learn/increase skills later on. (The amount is dependent on intelligence.)

4) Delete characters at the inn by first adding them to the party, then inspect the character (right click on protrait). On the left side the 'remove character' button is now replaced by 'delete character'. (You can also remame characters here.)

Have fun playing, Carg
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:17 AM   #3
slug
Manshoon

i would start with two wizards, because the stone magic spells can not be acquired by anyone else save a valkyrie, which you can't get until the end of the game anyway. you may find it more convienient later on to have some good area of affect spells, and ranged spells, to soften your opponents before closing to melee.

it is not too unlikely that you will restart with a new party after you have gotten a good feel for the game.

there are many great threads on this board about this very topic. do a search if you feel industrious, you can learn many helpful tips and tricks to make things easier.
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 11:40 AM   #4
Throg
Dungeon Master

Sounds like a good party. I found that mistakes I made at the beginning (such as distribution of points during creation, increasing attributes during "leveling up", etc.) were fairly easily corrected after playing a while and learning more.

One mistake I made which I only figured out late in the game, though, was that I started changing classes for my warriors way too late in the game. I was waiting to change classes until I reached level 14 or so, which is a good idea for magic users, but pointless for warriors.

Carg mentioned the importance of the Vine Spellbook Cure Poison and Cure spells; another very important one is Breath of Air - don't leave home without it! (Er, make that "don't leave the Priesthood without it.") :^)

Throg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:43 PM   #5
adam warlock
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

welcome Cironir!

as for the fourth question, you remove them, select once again, and hit the same remove/delete icon again

------------------
Adam Mage/Warlock
adam warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 06:02 AM   #6
Elliecat
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Welcome, I hope you enjoy the game as much as we all do! I must say I read all the threads with an increasing sense of admiration to all those who pay such attention to the details. Again, I am one of those people who ploughed straight in and had to correct my mistakes as I went along. I find that it is part of the pleasure of the game for me that I try to figure things out as I go along. However, I wish I had found out about Whiskas seeing in the dark before I was so far into the game! haha Enjoy!
Elliecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 06:53 AM   #7
Graham
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Personally I would go for 2 priests at the beginning and change to paladin.

As for stats, intelligence is important for every character. The higher it is the more skill points you get early on as you go up levels making the characters more powerful. High spirituality for spell casters is essential to get the magic points high early on as well.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 01:16 PM   #8
hailitho
The Magister

bump- This is a good one. Maybe the one you were looking for wyvern?
Hopefully help someone else too!
hailitho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 01:24 PM   #9
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

hailitho -

How clever of you!!! Certainly this is one of the threads for which I was looking! (and these days I'm having difficulty seeing much less searching ) Thanks for bumping it up!!

Wyv

Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote