Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 06-01-2002, 07:21 AM   #41
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

"Yeah, thats what they all say" You read my mind like a open book. Im making up storys for my amusement [img]graemlins/finger2.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2002, 07:25 AM   #42
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
"Yeah, thats what they all say" You read my mind like a open book. Im making up storys for my amusement [img]graemlins/finger2.gif[/img]
No, you are just misguided, One school does not a country make, try reading the rest of the post as well if you like.

Old 06-01-2002, 08:07 AM   #43
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Hey, let's all take a step back and remember we're sharing our views, ok?
Old 06-01-2002, 09:11 AM   #44
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Why does she have to drop out of school? Why does she get pregnant?
The answer to your question is that she is an ignorant breeder cow who produces nothing but useless mouths. I am going to be opening up my own buisnees within the year. I already have the money SAVED for it. I saved it by WORKING 14 hour days for the last 2 years and takeing off as few days as possible. By your reasoning if I become a wealthy buissness owner then I am the bad guy. What a crock of horse shite!! If someone is too stupid or lazy to get off of there dead ass and go get a job then they dont deserve to collect a check , the deserve to starve and die in the street. I see poverty everyday where i live. The reality is that no one is holding them back but themselves. When you rot in your own failure the only one responsible for it is you. There is a workfare program in the city where people have to do 20 hours a week public works to collect there welfare check. A group of them go together and tried to sue the city calling the program racist and cruel because they expected them to do a little work to get a check. People like that make me totaly against ANY kind of welfare programs at all. Sadly there attidude is in the majority amongs welfare recipients.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:19 AM   #45
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Society does not work. If it did, it would be the start of a perfect world. All we can do, is try to make society, a better place; which is what goverments are for; unfortunaly, they seem to screw up more then they make things work. Of course this is a simple view, and since the world is too complex for any one person to understand, we must break it down into smaller views; but isnt this topic sort of driffting off the oringinal posting?
Old 06-01-2002, 11:47 AM   #46
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
i suggest they give it all to me, i'll make sure something good is being done with it.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:17 PM   #47
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, I've thought it over and decided that I'd place my vote on education. Reasoning as follows:

1) Part of the educated become the medical experts who render services to the public
2) The rest of the educated hopefully pick up enough skills and knowledge to find jobs or create their own businesses; they then earn enough to be able to afford the healthcare expenses. They would also have the money for other expenses on transport, housing, etc.

This is as opposed to spending the funds predominantly on healthcare. In this scenario, the medical needs of the public would be taken care of, but in all other aspects, individuals might lack the money for other expenses.

While I can sort of understand the good intentions behind a welfare system, I am not fully convinced that it is wise to implement this. From what I know, in some countries, it is only the better well-off who pay taxes (ie, in higher income brackets) and the lower-income groups are more heavily subsidised by the government for public goods and services. Would taxpayers have any incentive to work that extra bit (thereby boosting the country's economy) if all they saw was that the fruits of their labour went to those who did not have to slog as hard?
Old 06-01-2002, 12:34 PM   #48
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
The answer to your question is that she is an ignorant breeder cow who produces nothing but useless mouths. I am going to be opening up my own buisnees within the year. I already have the money SAVED for it. I saved it by WORKING 14 hour days for the last 2 years and takeing off as few days as possible. By your reasoning if I become a wealthy buissness owner then I am the bad guy. What a crock of horse shite!! If someone is too stupid or lazy to get off of there dead ass and go get a job then they dont deserve to collect a check , the deserve to starve and die in the street. I see poverty everyday where i live. The reality is that no one is holding them back but themselves. When you rot in your own failure the only one responsible for it is you. There is a workfare program in the city where people have to do 20 hours a week public works to collect there welfare check. A group of them go together and tried to sue the city calling the program racist and cruel because they expected them to do a little work to get a check. People like that make me totaly against ANY kind of welfare programs at all. Sadly there attidude is in the majority amongs welfare recipients.[/QB]
Hmmm, that’s a rather Stereotypical Classical economist view,
Which is also rather over simplistic as well,
You do realise that you wouldn’t have any savings without the work of others don't you?
Or that you would have no business without the labour of others?
All of us benefit from and contribute to society and its institutions. The large variations in wealth among individuals are not due to inherent differences between individuals. At best, the differences are rooted in the various ways individuals are able to access and use society's resources. At worse, the differences are wholly arbitrary; they are accidents of birth, or war, or theft.

Old 06-01-2002, 12:38 PM   #49
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by mistral4543:
While I can sort of understand the good intentions behind a welfare system, I am not fully convinced that it is wise to implement this. From what I know, in some countries, it is only the better well-off who pay taxes (ie, in higher income brackets) and the lower-income groups are more heavily subsidised by the government for public goods and services. Would taxpayers have any incentive to work that extra bit (thereby boosting the country's economy) if all they saw was that the fruits of their labour went to those who did not have to slog as hard?
You raise the very point that most people who do not like the welfare system here in the USA have. There is no incentive for people on welfare to try to get off, there are actually incentives to make sure they do not try too hard to better themselves
Im all for Government assistance to help hard working people who have had some kind of personal disaster, to help them back on their feet, but I don't think anyone who instituted the welfare program ever envisioned it becoimg the perpetual dependance program that it has here in the US.

Old 06-01-2002, 12:49 PM   #50
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
Hmmm, that’s a rather Stereotypical Classical economist view,
Which is also rather over simplistic as well,
You do realise that you wouldn’t have any savings without the work of others don't you?
Or that you would have no business without the labour of others?
All of us benefit from and contribute to society and its institutions. The large variations in wealth among individuals are not due to inherent differences between individuals. At best, the differences are rooted in the various ways individuals are able to access and use society's resources. At worse, the differences are wholly arbitrary; they are accidents of birth, or war, or theft.
I strongly disagree with you here Dram. In the US at least this is absolutley NOT the case. I my self came up with nothing but a public education, the clothes on my back and $40 in cash. I know others who had even less, there are about 25,000 vietnamese boat refugees in souther California who are now prosperous average american citizens....they came to this country with nothing. In the US the only thing that limits you are Initiative, Intelligence and Work Ethic....yes there is a luck element to success as well, because nature can be cruel and accidents do happen, but all in all, if a human being cannot succeed in the United State, that human cannot succeed anywhere...yeah a generalization I know but it is true for the most part. People of all races and sexes and religions have managed to succeed in the US on their own merrits and didnt steal for it, didnt kill for it, and didnt cheat for it and for you to say that anyone who is reletively wealthy had to get it through some underhanded means or to have inherited it is a terrible insult and a lie.