Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-30-2002, 01:09 PM   #21
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
I think they should increase it. Soldiers dont get paid enough.
Yes, soldiers should get more. But the military ought to learn not to waste money on stuff like the crusader, 155mm 70 ton artillery pieces in this day and age? Besides most of the modern American military just spends all the money on subcontracting unnecessary and expensive hardware etc in order to make businessmen a big fat profit, and create jobs in certain states so that the voters are kept happy.

Old 05-31-2002, 01:46 AM   #22
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

OK I get ya
Old 05-31-2002, 04:13 AM   #23
Vampire

I would pick education but which country are we talking about? Right now u and i are in a country with a terrible transport system.
Old 05-31-2002, 05:55 AM   #24
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Who are you talking to? No one else lives on mars [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2002, 08:40 AM   #25
MagiK

[quote]Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
Quote:
Originally posted by mistral4543:
[qb], and slightly cut the military budget as well.
Why the military budget? especially when it is such a small percentage of the budget(in the US it is 12-14% I believe). Isn't the protection of its citizens from foreign aggression important? Im not talking just about the USA, should say Israel cut its military budget? or how about Iran or Iraq?
Im not knocking Iran or Iraq, I chose them because they are both notorious enemies and have killed millions of each others citizens.

Old 05-31-2002, 08:44 AM   #26
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
quote:
Originally posted by caleb:
I think they should increase it. Soldiers dont get paid enough.
Yes, soldiers should get more. But the military ought to learn not to waste money on stuff like the crusader, 155mm 70 ton artillery pieces in this day and age? Besides most of the modern American military just spends all the money on subcontracting unnecessary and expensive hardware etc in order to make businessmen a big fat profit, and create jobs in certain states so that the voters are kept happy.[/QUOTE]Ooops Ok now I see your point and my previous post is now moot.
As for miltary procurement, that particular fiasco is due in large part to beauracratic processes that come into play when you deal with civilian politicians. Costs would be radicly reduced if the congressmen and senators were not so big on the pork barrel politics [img]smile.gif[/img]

Edit: an example the $400 Hammer. The US Navy wanted to buy hammers for pounding nails and or heads, They put in a req for that had to go to a Civil Servent who would research the item, this person had to fill out a form listing the dimensions and weight of the hammer. When the weight was filled in the Civil Servent was diligent and weighed the sample hammer at 14.3 ounces (I dont remember the real weight) The government then hired a contractor to supply these hammers....the contractor found that they could not find any hammers that were exactly 14.3 ouces....so instead of aproximating the weight they built a milling plant to turn out calibrated hammerheads so that they could meet the Mil Spec on the contract....the same goes for things like coffee makers and toilet seats. It is astonishing how little common sense is used in the government procurement system..things have gotten a lot better since those days in the 70's and 80's (when the req. for the crusader were developed). Just a bit of trivia [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-31-2002, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 05-31-2002, 04:17 PM   #27
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Unfortunately, the world isn’t that simple.
a welfare state is generally resulting in a better overall quality of life for everyone.
Having a job also tends to provide a better quality of life as well.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:51 PM   #28
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
Having a job and earning your way in society...just to elaborate a little on your statment. As opposed to being a parasite on society...

Edit: to elaborate on my addition!

[ 05-31-2002, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 06-01-2002, 06:14 AM   #29
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
Having a job and earning your way in society...just to elaborate a little on your statment. As opposed to being a parasite on society...

Edit: to elaborate on my addition!
[/QUOTE]The only parasites on society are the idle rich.
And rich people in general. Bill Gates is a wonderful example.

[ 06-01-2002, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Dramnek_Ulk ]

Old 06-01-2002, 06:27 AM   #30
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

So its not possible rich people EARNED their money?