Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 11-09-2002, 03:26 AM   #1
Midget Gems

I know that the game is set up to favour good aligned parties, but from a role-playing point of view it must be hard to justify this, what with all the stealing and looting that goes on throughout the game. How many times have you heard someone say that they don't like evil NPCs because they have a 'good' party with a high reputation, but then they use Drizzt weapons or break into houses and chests at every opportunity. My playing style is usually around 'Chaotic Neutral', with a mixture of differently aligned NPC's. The nearest I ever came to goodness was when playing Snow White - she had no weapons and went around singing, but she did hire a gang of thugs to aid her and was fond of 'charming' people into killing their friends - not quite as pure as her name suggests.

I was wondering how hard it is to play 'Lawful Good'. There are just about enough NPC's to make a party, but I would want to exclude Thieves from the choice. I know that quite a few people play as a Paladin, so can truly lawful strategies actually work?
Old 11-09-2002, 11:19 AM   #2
Jan

I'm quit sure it can. Why have that option if it was mission impossible? So just give it a shot.
Old 11-09-2002, 10:11 PM   #3
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

I've done it, both in BG1 and BG2; Selected party members as close to Lawful Good as possible without hurting the party's overall strength, no robbing or molesting Commoners. Although I will make a point of entering every single building (picking their lock if necessary) and Detecting Evil; If someone's Evil, and talking to them reveals that they want to pick a fight with me, then I grant them their wish.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:15 PM   #4
Midget Gems

Thanks for the replies, if do a lawful party I would not want to do any housebreaking or stealing. Hopefully this would only restrict the amount of equipment and treasure, but still allow the key objectives to be reached. Worth a try I think.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:57 AM   #5
Sorcerer Alex

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:
...molesting Commoners.
You are a sadistic man, my friend

I always find myself playing as lawful as possible. It just seems the easiest thing to do. Also, I like to live up to my role as 'hero of the Sword Coast' - think about it; is a hero really going to steal, pillage and, uh, molest? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2002, 02:18 AM   #6
Angelousss
Red Wizard of Thay

yep i'm a goody twoshoes, a paladin in fact, i try to avoid looting unless i know something good is hidden somewhere, although i feel if they require my assistance they can make a "donation" to the church
Old 11-11-2002, 06:09 AM   #7
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

LOL; playing as an elf, neutral good, I don't feel the need to obey any of the "human" laws... hehe, and IF I break into any houses, it's to explore, not kill or loot... of course, I will "loot" IF the houses inhabitents, or the towns have been rude to me... well, I just kill them, so *shrugs* usually I do play the "good guy"... but... its slightly greyer... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:25 PM   #8
Keraptisdm
Elminster

I usually play a Paladin. Don't loot, pillage or molest the masses. I don't allow any evil people in the party. If you are "good" and do "evil", your diety would not be happy, and some bad things would happen to you in a DnD campaign. It's part of your role playing - resist the temptation. Thieves are not necessarily evil - they can detect and remove traps, open locks, scout ahead. So having a thief in a lawful party is not out of the question.
Keraptisdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:42 PM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

When I play good I don't do and looting, and try to be as nice and fair to all NPC's as possible. I once looted houses but they never have much of value anyway. If you are neutral good, or chatic good, you can justify looting houses. Every one has a house and is a bunch of rich, lazy bums who are doing nothing to help the good people of the sword coast. So they must donate to your cause if they want to or not because your cause is the best for all people. They may be breaking the law but it is done for goodness, evil buttkicking and hampsters at least that is how those good characters who are not lawful would see it.

[ 11-12-2002, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 04:26 PM   #10
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

I always steal everything from every house, and end up backstabbing the residents if my party construction speaks for it. It´s just too difficult not to. And having chaotic good alignment sort of justifies it too, so.. :/

[ 11-12-2002, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]