Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-03-2004, 07:32 PM   #11
The Fallen One
Elminster

sick....but interesting...XD
Old 07-03-2004, 08:08 PM   #12
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

I think I'll pass on that, I had a hard time settling my stomach looking at a body in a funeral home.
Old 07-03-2004, 08:48 PM   #13
Sythe
Ra

I sure would like to see that. It sure beats those drawn pictures in the biology books. And I might actually pay attention and learn something. I say cool!
Old 07-03-2004, 11:31 PM   #14
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
I think I'll pass on that, I had a hard time settling my stomach looking at a body in a funeral home.
Hehe, funny you mention that, as that's where I grew up! I think I would go to see this, but like I said earlier, I don't know if it belongs in a public museum like this...

Edit: Yay!! MY SIG FINALLY WORKS!! (Seems like forever since I had one!) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 07-03-2004, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: Dron_Cah ]
Old 07-03-2004, 11:42 PM   #15
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

congrats dron_cah!

i had to search for pictures, being pro-life i don't like the idea of the fetuses, and it kinda creeps me out about hte preggo woman. i'm sorry but if she died in any way other than secret murder or what not they could have saved the baby.

i find it really interesting tho. the fact that is it a real body, plasticized or not i won't touch it.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:41 AM   #16
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I don't see what's wrong with this exhibition. It seems to be an invaluable source of clearly demonstrable anatomical knowledge that simply wouldn't come across in a 2D textbook. The cadavers are from people who willingly donated their bodies to aid this research, and their flesh is being used to further our understanding of how the human body works. They wanted us to to learn from them, and personally I greatly appreciate their gesture.

There's nothing sinister or callous about this exhibition, and I think it's a real shame that people can bring themselves to view the acquisition of knowledge as immoral. I realise that for many people it is their religious beliefs regarding the sanctity of the human (and thus the 'godly') body that holds them back from appreciating this project, but... well, what can I say? I disagree with such religious beliefs [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2004, 12:49 AM   #17
aleph_null

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
I realise that for many people it is their religious beliefs regarding the sanctity of the human (and thus the 'godly') body that holds them back from appreciating this project, but... well, what can I say? I disagree with such religious beliefs [img]smile.gif[/img]
I'll admit that on first glance I just laughed at the project and closed the tab, but this interests me & I went back to it...

In respect of the religious moratorium (or is that only for the Current Events forum?), I'll only go so far as to say that, on the subject of death and dead bodies, even the strictest of Christian sects would find nothing strictly wrong with this. It is only standard Western squeamishness on the subject, nothing of a religious nature, that makes this odd.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:18 AM   #18
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by aleph_null:
In respect of the religious moratorium (or is that only for the Current Events forum?), I'll only go so far as to say that, on the subject of death and dead bodies, even the strictest of Christian sects would find nothing strictly wrong with this. It is only standard Western squeamishness on the subject, nothing of a religious nature, that makes this odd.
True enough, I was basing that statement on the cases quoted in the article. However, what better way to overcome Western squeamishness than to introduce people to the nature of the human body in a scientifically biological context? Teach them the mechanical engineering of anatomical systems. Show them how their bodies work as complex biological machines... I think that squeamishness predominantly arises from unfamiliarity with, and thus apprehension toward, the structure of organic lifesystems.
Sure, at first people may find this exhibit quite shocking, reasonably distasteful, and even a little scary. But as people come to appreciate the body for how it works rather than for how it looks, essentially recognising the amazing complexity of the parts, as well as the overall beauty of the whole, any pervading discomfort surrounding death and physicality might just disappear [img]smile.gif[/img]

*edit for typos. My keyboard sucks *

[ 07-04-2004, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: The Hierophant ]
Old 07-04-2004, 03:48 AM   #19
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

its been around the world for nearly 8 years. still i find it disturbing. but its the people themselves who donated it voluntarily when they pass on.

i think its "reality" people tend not to think about except doctors. what is hidden behind under the skin.

Catch me if you can..
Old 07-04-2004, 04:06 AM   #20
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hierophant:
I realise that for many people it is their religious beliefs regarding the sanctity of the human (and thus the 'godly') body that holds them back from appreciating this project, but... well, what can I say? I disagree with such religious beliefs [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well Hiero, I wouldn't say I am against seeing it because of relegious beliefs. I would say I'm against it, because a) They are corpses and b) Again, not relegious beliefs, but it would be respect for the dead not to have their bodies on display. And yes I know the people volunteered to do it before they died but my point still stands.

If you all want to see it, go rent House on Haunted Hill [img]tongue.gif[/img]