Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2001, 12:25 PM   #1
derren
Welcomed New User

Hi

How do you get to be able to cast a spell more than once without having to rest? I seem to be missing something because I have read all sorts of guides etc. but to no avail. Is it just not possible to let rip two successive fireballs? It does seem a bit daft as you wouldn't fight once per day now would you?

Please help me while I still have hair.

Cheers
Old 06-13-2001, 12:34 PM   #2
Shrylia
Manshoon

if you check in the character information screens. Look at the spells you are currently able to cast. If you have slots for more then one FireBall spell then put it there...fill as many slots as you have with it. Remove another spell that you might not need right now and use that slot. Then you must,of course, sleep in order to get the spells to be activated. Does that help? Of course if you only have one slot...then you can only have one fireball spell and must wait until you are more 'advanced'!

------------------
Experience is the most powerful weapon!
Old 06-13-2001, 12:35 PM   #3
Shrylia
Manshoon

I forgot to add - welcome to the Forum!!

------------------
Old 06-13-2001, 12:41 PM   #4
derren
Welcomed New User

Thanks,

So as I progress through the game I shall get more and more spell slots and/or will be able to cast them more than once? That'll be nice. I tell you what, as someone new to the AD&D stuff, there is an awful lot of information missing from the manuals - stuff which is assumed that you already know. For example, is a 2D4 weapon better than a 1D10 weapon in battle? What does it all mean?!

Once more unto the breach...
Old 06-13-2001, 12:46 PM   #5
Shrylia
Manshoon

Believe me I know what you mean. If it helps at all, I just started playing BGIIin January and finally finished a couple of weeks ago I am now playing BGI...(backwards, but there ya go). I still do not understand the 1D10,2D4 thing. I know that it has to do with rolling dice (or computer based chance 'throw). Maybe 1D10 is you must roll the dice once and get a ten or less to do something...see I should stick with the spell info. There are many sites and 'stuff' to get the info. Look here on the main page and other places like the Baldur's Gate Dungeon site. It will become like breathing...soon.

------------------
Old 06-13-2001, 12:50 PM   #6
derren
Welcomed New User

God I hope so! It's a superb game.

Thanks for your help
Old 06-13-2001, 01:06 PM   #7
bygones01
Dungeon Master

well yes 2D4 is better than 1D10 since it's two rolls of a 4 sided die.
and the other is 1 roll of a 10... so you'll get at least a 2 with
the 2D4 where you might roll a 1 with only one roll of a 10 sided die.
does that make any since? also yeah the amount of spells you can cast per
day depends on how high your level is in the game. some items allow you
to know more spells at any particular time, so you don't have to wait till
you're higher level. hey and if you're wondering BG is better than BGII so
if i were you i'd play that before i started shadows of amn.
Old 06-13-2001, 01:25 PM   #8
Volourn
Manshoon

Don't worry about the rules to much. They'll come to you naturally the more you play. The main thing is to have as much fun. It's even a good idea to read the book more than once, espicially for spell descriptions. Take you're time at first to make sure you have the basics down. Most mistakes CAN be fixed; unfortunately some can't except by starting over. BTW: Never ask people what class is the best as they always give you their favorite. It is simply their opinion. Choose what you like, and experiment a little. Enjoy the game!

GO DWARVES GO!

------------------
"That didn't hurt!" - Volourn Honourblade after the red dragon breathed on him for 75% of his hp.
Old 06-13-2001, 01:32 PM   #9
Haddar - Servant of Talos
The Magister

2D4=Two Die Four . It means you roll a four-sided die twice. Thus, 1D10 means you roll a ten-sided die once. Which one you think is best is, well, that's up to you. 1D10 may deal more damage, but it may also deal less, depending on the roll. To me, it doesn't matter which weapon to use in this case, if they are just "ordinary". If enchanted, I would suggest using the weapon with magical abilities that suites (spelling)? your style of play.
Old 06-13-2001, 02:42 PM   #10
EdMan218
Elite Waterdeep Guard

actually, the 1d10 is better than the 2d4. 1d10 is 1 roll of a 10side die.
u can get 1,2,3..10. if u average these numbers, u get 5.5 so, on average, u deal 5.5 dmg. with the 2d4 u can deal 2,3,4...8. if u average these, u get 5.0.
so, mathematically, u can higher rolls in the long run wit the 1d10, of course, thats jus mathematically.............