Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 05-21-2001, 10:07 AM   #11
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

Spoiler

If I remember rightly, you have to do the Underark to get the cloak of mirroring. Try going invisible before you go down. Sometimes works (sometimes, sadly doesn't.) Alternatively, mass haste and as soon as you arrive, run away... not brave I know, but at least allows you to get off some summon monsters and area spells. Your big problem ai the death spell beholders cast (which no amount of magic shielding will save you against at the lower levels, as far as I can see.)Your best bet is haste, (summon creatures if you get the chance), and ranged weapons + miscast/insect attack. The big problem with beholders is getting your party too close to their deathspell attacks, this is what arrowfodder are for.... Don't underestimate the power of running away and turning raound and hitting that mother with loads of ranged attack when it follows, the big thing I found was hitting it before it had a chance to cast its rather nasty armoury of spells, their not that tough really.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:17 AM   #12
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

IF you are in the underdark and not have to cloak of mirroring - you are not getting it legitimatly, you can only get it in Sahuagin City.
Old 05-21-2001, 10:23 AM   #13
Shrylia
Manshoon

If you haven't been imprisoned by an elder orb...well, you haven't lived!
Old 05-21-2001, 10:45 AM   #14
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Yes the cloak of mirroring is in the Saughin city, and yes it reflects all beholder spells except imprisonment, paralyze, and horror. The easiest way to deal with an elder orb is to give a fighter a long bow, boots of speed, the cloak of mirroring and shoot it down. Just don't let the elder orb get in melee range or you're dead. Dang imprisonment!

------------------
Burn to a crisp!
Redblueflare (Call me Red!)
Old 05-21-2001, 02:30 PM   #15
Robin, Thief of Hearts
The Magister

I just HATE those steenking beholder orbs...

Ok, here is a couple tricks that can help with them- based on many reloads.

**They can't fight what they can't see. True! If you go in invisible, they will not attack. Thusly, sending in Invisible Stalkers is very useful indeed.

**You cannot backstab them, as, being big beachball shaped organisms, they er, don't seem to have backs. Still, a thief can sneak up and get in a free shot.

**You can poison them, and it can interrupt spellcasting.

**As with any mage, Insect Swarm spells seem to help a lot.