Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2000, 11:35 PM   #1
Zaphael

I got in Underdark not too long ago and, well, I hate it. Hate hate hate. I found the air elemental portal and realized that it produced a rather infinite amount of air elementals. No big. Found some Drow to fight. Cast cast, hack hack, no big. Released those people from that crystal thing. True sight, breach, cast, hack. No big. Got sent of the Balor quest. Hack cast, no b- wait. VERY big. I know it takes a +3 weapon to hit him, and I've got some, too bad it doesn't matter. Free action counteracts the hold, and I can deal with stun. He hits for a ton, but I can sacrifice a few people. The only problem is, I can't hurt him. I've lost all respect for the pit fiend (if you have a name like Pit Fiend, you should never, EVER get beaten by something named Balor). I had my main character turn Slayer and he did about 17 points of damage before he was stunned and gibbed. Can anybody help me beat this thing? Pretty please? Any winning strategies out there? Well, thanks for your time.

Old 12-04-2000, 12:41 AM   #2
Zenith
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh yeah, this is a tough one. My first time through I had a lot of trouble killing this thing. Here's how I did it. I took my offensive fighter type characters and put them in a circle around where this thing's going to appear. Then,...............QUICKSAVED. Next you make him appear, hack away, and hope for the best. Also, you definitely want to haste your characters and use any magical protections available (though I'm not sure how helpful this was to me). If you're lucky, 1 or 2 of your fighter types will save versus the fear and be able to kill him. Keep tring, quicksave often, and good luck. I wish I could offer a more effective strategy, but I did eventually get by this thing.
Old 12-04-2000, 12:51 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Do a search for posts with Balor as your keyword. Actually, I'll do it for you, click herefor some strategies.
Old 12-04-2000, 05:29 AM   #4
DayWalker

wth is baylor ?? one of those trapped in the machine ? cuz i found no other tuff ones
in the underdark

Old 12-04-2000, 05:43 AM   #5
Armisael

Doesn't chaotic commands protect against stun? Use it along with free action and that should deal with the Balor's annoying little habits. Then all you have to do is beat the crap out of him; not too hard really. If all else fails, use a wizard eye or something to tank for you.

Old 12-04-2000, 07:17 AM   #6
Spiny Norm

I summoned various beasties around the spot beforehand, haste, protection from evil, chant.The wizards
( my character included) stood at the back as far as they could. When it turned up The Wizards throw every spell they can at it, occassionally one gets through. All this happens while it pauses to kill the fighters and other dross. Then turn slayer and wade in. Oh keep a cleric back aswell. Bolt of glory is a wonderfull spell; being able to raise all the dead afterwards is a good idea too.

Old 12-04-2000, 01:36 PM   #7
Mortis Metacarpus

Why bother anyway? I mean, you've got a choice between killing that thing and slaughtering a couple of four foot pansies. Doesn't seem like such a difficult decision but then, I suppose us "morally unrestrained" people get it hard enough everywhere else, we deserve a break...

Old 12-04-2000, 09:07 PM   #8
Armisael

I considered that, but I liked the svirfneblin leader too much to kill him. I just find gnomes entertaining.

Old 12-04-2000, 09:45 PM   #9
Shadowspawn

wand of monster summoning helps, having several fire elementals handy helps.

I didn't have to hard a time with him, I kept back with monsters up front and used missile and magic attacks to kick his butt.

I lost two of my primaries, but that's what resurrection is for!

Old 12-04-2000, 09:56 PM   #10
Conan

Use every protection spell you've got, haste everybody or use speed potions, and use a weapon in each hand. Then surround the area Balor apears and hack away. I was able to kill him on my second try. Also I had my mages attack with weapons, the first time I tried it the spells did not seem to have affect so I used them as canon fodder and resurected them when the carnage was over.