Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 01-21-2001, 10:24 PM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

I believe I have found the Secret to Kung-Fu.

When my troupe was in the Sunken City, Chaugnar Faugn was punching and kicking like crazy with 2 hits regularly. He has 12 in Kung-Fu and 12 in 2nd weapon. Now before they went down under, the only way he would get 2 strikes was with a dagger as a 2nd weapon. So I thought it was pretty neat that now he could hit twice and sometimes kick without the dagger.

Well after the group finished the Underwater City, I put a better dagger I found there, in his hand and he kept on hitting twice. Got back to town and went to the Temple to uncurse the dagger to see if the Oomphaz would hit twice without it and maybe kick sometimes.

No luck.

Then I got an idea, put the Underwater Breather in the secondary weapon position and guess what: He started hitting twice and kicking, too.

Now the rest of the party thinks he's a show-off!

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 03:47 AM   #2
Scronan
Zhentarim Guard

Hey!

Great stuff you've discovered, I may the only one really interested, but can you do some more tinkering to get this nailed down. Sadly, my main character does carry a dagger as a second weapon (or did you mean first), and regardless I've never seen her kick.

Also, someone on the board mentioned that they had a character kick without 2nd strike, which may or may not be inline with your experience here.

Hmm, I almost feel more confused now, gosh I hope to see the daylight about this subject! Promise yourself something everyone, if you ever make a video game, and especially if you make a strategy guide, EXPLAIN THE FINER DETAILS OF HOW THINGS WORK!

Its always impressive to me at least.

Keep on kickin'

Scronan
Scronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 07:21 AM   #3
skywalker
Banned User

Well, my thought is that if the character has 2nd weapon and has something that isn't a weapon in that hand (ie the breather) it will force a kick. I've not seen a second strike with nothing in the Monk's left hand.
(My wife says that a Monk shouldn't be fighting in the first place, they should be peaceful. )

Chaugnar Faugn: Stop! Leave that creature alone! It is not evil! Let us meditate and maybe it will go away! (whack whack) Owwww! Come here little one, let me teach you disipline. Now, where was I? Oh, yes. Ommm, Ommm.

It would be 1 thing to explain the details in a hint book, first thing would be to get them right!

Mark
Old 01-22-2001, 10:13 AM   #4
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

(chuckle)
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 10:27 AM   #5
adam mage

I think the armory should give monks hair shirts...
Old 01-22-2001, 10:38 AM   #6
carg
The Magister

... and a toupet to boot!
Yeah, I think I noticed at one stage that putting the shroud in my off-hand helped with 2nd attacks.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 03:01 PM   #7
Lily the Ranger

Skywalker . . . I would like to have this ability . . . will probably clutch Arberdan's Relic (blue dolly is much more peaceful looking than the dagger). Would it be too much to ask that you list any traits or skills that you have (such as tiger strike) that MIGHT contribute to this skill? What is your character wearing? Tanks!

Boot to the head!
Old 01-22-2001, 04:00 PM   #8
skywalker
Banned User

Oomphaz:
Allow me to introduce myself, I am Chaugnar Faugn.
I was a Wizard to Lvl 10,
A Paladin to Lvl 11,
A Ranger to Lvl 14,
And here I am a Monk of 19 levels.

I wear a Samurai Kimono +4 along With the Spirit Shield Trait(+4 AC) and Divine Sigil(+3 AC) ring to keep my AC down at 15. I also wear a Vampire Ring (Can't get the stupid thing off!) and a Gem of the Mountain around my neck (+2 AC).

My pertinent skills are: Kung Fu = 12
2nd Weapon = 12
Deathstrike = 12
My Traits are: Lethal Fist
Tiger Strike
Double Strike
Iron Might
Berserker
And possibly others, but traits don't scroll!

My To Hit is 23
Parry is 16 (helped by a Bracelet of Bravado Hit +2)
Speed is 18
I do believe keeping a non-weapon item (Underwater Breather)in my left hand helps me concentrate, so I may perform kicks as well as double strikes. I have done critical kicks as well.

Thank you for your interest in me. Do you know of any female Oomphaz looking for companionship, Lily?

Kali Death: Oh Puleeze! Did no one ever explain the humility necessary to be a pure Monk.
I don't think I can take any more of this. Thanx, a lot Lily, if Chaug's head gets any bigger it won't fit in the Breathing Mask any more!

Mark
Old 01-22-2001, 09:28 PM   #9
Lily the Ranger

I guess one should think twice about the question interpretation of "What are you wearing?"
I had intended that my second party would be all females but when i came to the oomphaz I really wanted to use the name Oberan. I do believe he has a sister . . . perhaps she and Chaugnar Faugn could get to together for a mug of . . . . What do Oomphazs drink? Oops that probably belongs in the joke thread! But aren't monks dedicated to a life of chastity?

Thanks so much for taking the time to write up all that info! I am looking to develop a vampire ninja/monkess . . . picked the redheaded human and named her Lucinda. Tis terrible to play for an evening and realised you should have done _____________ if you were planning on becoming whatever.
Old 01-23-2001, 06:50 AM   #10
Emore

It seems im late... again. Just in case this helps anyone (looks to me you all have it under control):

Cant tell that any equipment gets in the way of kung fu, save equiping weapons. Wear good armor. Keeping a rebreather or shield (shield is of alittle more use than the rebreather... we could argue that) will enable kicking. Anyone care to explain that? Roles/Races dont seem to matter either. Hope this helps someone. Took me the whole game to figure it out.